Author Topic: How to convert midi file songs recorded on my 3000 to MP3 format.  (Read 2366 times)

Offline David Bate

???  I've got 5 folders of 10 songs in the Performers section but don't know how to submit, say, a single tune in MP3 format so others can hear it as recorded. I need a simple bit of software to do this so you can all enjoy my amazing talent! ! ! !
       Seriously, I'm 78 and reasonably intelligent but haven't a clue as to how to submit music as MP3 files. Help!
                                                                                       David Bate, UK.

Offline FrankB

Offline David Bate

Re: How to convert midi file songs recorded on my 3000 to MP3 format.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:41:26 AM »
 8)   Thanks for the link, Frank, I'll need to follow up the Audacity prog. and see if I can get to do what I want!   Dave

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:18:03 AM »
Dave
You cannot actually convert from midi to MP3. Audacity is not a conversion software , it is recording software essentially a recording studio on your PC. Midi is not a music file format, it is a Musical Instrument Digital Interface, essentially a set of digital instructions to drive a musical instrumentand there is no sound involved until these instructions are accesed by a sound processor either on a musical instrument or some other device. You can use the sound card on the PC but as you will have heard when playing a midi on a PC that sounds nothing like the original midi playing on a 3k or tyros. To make a proper MP3 that sounds like the 3k you have to actually record the 3k playing the midi. This is what Audacity and other similar PC recording software do. Even then you will not have an MP3. You then have to convert the resulting file into an MP3 file. This is a conversion ( compression actually) , since MP3 is a highly compressed music file format. This usually requires another piece of software.
Mike 

Offline Tyros Trax

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:20:47 AM »
David,

You will have to load the midi file in the 3000. Connect audio cables from the line out of the 3000 to the '"line in" of your computer, the cable will need a "Y" type of adapter to go from two 1/4" RCA cables to a 1/8" male input. Once you have your cables connected, you will have to set up an audio recording software-sequencer to capture the recording of the 3000's instrument sounds. You will also need to set up and select the recording input in your computers soundcard/Windows.

Once everything is connected properly and selected, you will record to an audio (wave) file format in the sequencer and save it as either a wave or MP3 format. Then you will need to upload the MP3 to a web site like (Box.net), which is a free storage site, and then link the url of the MP3 into this forum.

I know it sounds complicated, but once you have learned the connections and process, you can upload or send Joe your songs to host here as a performer.

You can also upload the midi file(s) and we will still be able to listen to your songs. Most of us listen to midi files through our keyboards. Since you are using a 3000 to record with, most of us will also hear the song as intended with our keyboards.

Let us know if you get stuck somewhere in the recording/uploading/MP3 conversion process. Everyone has had to learn the process at sometime or other, and I believe you can get your songs here for us to listen to. ;)

Trax

Trax

Offline David Bate

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
 8)   Hi, Mike & "Trax",  Thanks for going into so much detail about the problem of creating MP3 music files - really most informative. Yes, I do now realise that MIDI is just a set of data instructions  and not music data! My home computer is a 4-year-old fairly basic IBM laptop which I bought originally as a storage library & slideshow device for a large, and increasing, number of digital photos, photography and travel being my other main hobbies. I don't know if it has the right connectivity to interface with the 3000 but will investigate! I'm quite capable of making up compatible interconnect cables. Also have a very good Sony CD recorder which I have used to produce, so far, 4- 60+ minute recordings direct from the 3000 to the recorder, so had to sort out cables and making individual tracks on the machine!
       Early autumn jobs in the garden are an immediate priority but will follow up your combined advice ASAP!
                                                                                              Thanks,  Dave