Author Topic: Trouble with unread posts.  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Afton72

Trouble with unread posts.
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »
Hi all you PC Gurus,
                   For some reason, when I open PSR Forum (first call from a S/Cut), I always go straight to "Show unread posts since last visit". About a week ago it began telling me there were none every time & I would have to find new ones manualy. This doesn't happen with another Forum.

I am going to get PC cleaned out, but can anyone please suggest why this might happen, for future reference when it is not convenient to clean out?.  Corrupt files or such?
Thank you for any help,
 Cheers to all,   Alan

Kurt

Re: Trouble with unread posts.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »
Helllo Alan,

I don't know how this forum software determines your last login. But if it uses so-called "cookies" it may help if you delete your cookies in your Internet Browser. I can't tell you the exact way to do this, because I don't know the type of browser you use and then my browser has a german interface. But you may find a menu item called "Options" or something like that, with a function to delete the cookies. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Kurt

Offline Afton72

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 06:10:04 AM »
Hi Kurt,
           Thanks for responding.  I just cleared the cookies, reach mine through the control panel / Int'Connections / Internet Options. Old Dell PC is different again. I used to clear cookies & history regularly but havn't for a while.
Also forgot to say my PC is newish Pentium duel-core XP Home
 See what happens in the morning.  11.04 Friday night here now.

Cheers,  Alan.

MusicMaker

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 06:33:35 AM »

Hi Guys,

I leave most 'Cookies' in place - I have a brilliant program ('Speed Up My PC'), but always uncheck the 'remove cookies' tab !

Reason being, I belong to over 10 Forums (Doggy, Music and Literary), Photobucket, Boxnet, 4 Sared, Etc, etc,  and use a different log in to all of them.

It can be my Doggy one (Aging Hippy), My Utilities one, which is my old Army number (23673285), or ('Musicmaker') on Music related Forums or Sites.  All of them have different passwords, too!

If I delete my cookies, my Log ins would be lost, and without a great deal of 'bovver', it would be a pain to start from scratch as the 'Auto Complete' won't work !

Just my twenty penny worth!

John

Offline Afton72

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:42:04 AM »
Too Late John, already "done" the cookie bit.
 Just came back to try before bed, it popped up three posts to read.
  I'll see what "else" in the morning
  Cheers,  Alan.

Offline DonM

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 08:03:09 AM »
Mine is acting the same way.  I haven't removed cookies lately.
DonM
DonM

Kurt

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »
Hi John,

You are right, but Alan was going to get his PC cleaned out anyway. So things couldn't get worse by deleting all cookies.

Btw, with the great and free Mozilla Firefox Browser you can delete all cookies at once or only one cookie or only all the cookies of a single website or you can have the browser delete all cookies when you leave the programm but with exceptions you define or...or...or....  ;)

Regards,

Kurt

Offline Afton72

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 07:00:33 PM »
Hi Folks,
            Afraid I believe it  is probably a BUG.
  I don't usualy delete cookies, history & stuff from this PC, but I've been getting hang-ups & freezes in a few programs lately.
  Last night when I "hit the cookies", I had cause to restart, so visited PSR again, the "unread posts" link worked, but not this morning again so MORE than cookies.

Cheers,   Alan

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »
Hi Alan

It's not just you and your computer. The "unread posts" here on this forum has never worked properly for me either. Every time I come here, I do a two step process to try to get the latest posts to display. The first thing I do is hit : "Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit" which appears at the very top of the page in the blue and gray box. That never works, but instead gives me a new choice. I then select "Click here to try all unread topics". After clicking that link, it usually takes me to a page that has the newest posts displayed in order. That's where I do my reading.

Tom G.
Tyros 4

Offline Afton72

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »
Hi Tom G,
            This is a new prob for me, That first click on "Show unread posts since last visit" has always worked in the past.
 I've just got to wait untill I can get my "tecko" on the job, to clean the PC. At least we shall know then if it really is the PC or not. Other probs are telling me the PC needs work.
 To All,
 Actually, does anyone have a step by step print out how to reinstall XP onto an Intell system from an XP CD. It needs to be formatted this time.  I don't have any trouble to install without a format.
 I believe it might be where you are asked if you want a "New" install or an "update install" ( or like that)  Getting it to reboot area is where I'm not game.
  So I'll hope for the best.
  Cheers,  Alan.

PS:Later,      Found a fairly comprehensive guide on the XP CD. Think I can follow it. Tech's busy.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:51:24 PM by Afton69 »

Offline Afton72

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 10:32:01 PM »
HI ALL,
  WELL, I've done it :D.      emptied the PC, formatted the drives and reinstalled XP home.   Couldn't find where to partition the main drive, (dissappointed) :(,        BUT it's WORKING  WELL'.   and a couple of short phone calls helped to get the reboot.

SLOWLY getting the program software back in

AND take note,   the "Show unread posts" button is working again. ;) ;)

Another feather in my cap, makes up for one's failures, doesn't it. ;D ;D
  Cheers,   Alan,       Whoop-eeee

EDIT next day--  Show unread posts button NOT workin today  !!!!BBBB!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:07:49 PM by Afton69 »

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:01:04 AM »
I got to hand it to you Alan - YOU KNOW NO FEAR!  :D :D :D :D 8)

Congratulations!

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Afton72

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »
 Don't worry Bill, I get nervous wondering, "Am I game"  over & over.  Also Aussie pensioners don't get a lot o'cash to play with either,
 would love to take it somewhere and just say FIX-IT.

Funny thing about this "unread posts" button.   I used Internet Explorer first, things were going along so I put in Firefox & thunderbird.
 Had trouble with address book in Thunderbird so uninstalled T/Bird but left in Firefox and next time I opened our Forum the damm button is NOT working, so......

Couldn't get the new driver for Yamaha to install so found the old one in a backup Hey-Presto-yes works. new driver is vers3.0.1
 caters for VISTA as well as XP,  maybe that's the cause.
    Now Office has an error & won't load,  LABmr ;)
Cheers to all,  Alan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:09:22 PM by Afton69 »

Offline Afton72

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »
Wouldn't it rip yer socks,
  I just opened up  to look for a Mambo midi and thought I'd try the "Show unread posts...) , this time it worked.
           Alan