Author Topic: How do I download from memory stick to Tyros 2?  (Read 9582 times)

Offline maxmiller91

How do I download from memory stick to Tyros 2?
« on: July 15, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
Hi Bill Grosse/Anyone - I downloaded your midi style (He touched Me)onto a memory stick and plugged it into the keyboard, accessed USBI but it doesn't show the file, only some former organ voices on the memory stick.  What am I missing?  How do I access it to play?  I need to accompany someone this weekend and want to use this.  Thanks, Maxine
Tyros 2
Yamaha P120
Roland KC 350 amp.

Offline travlin-easy

Re: How do I download from memory stick to Tyros 2?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:43:47 PM »
Maxine,

If it's a MIDI file press the "A" button next to Song, then tab to the USB drive and you should see it. If it's a style file, press the User Style button, then tab to the USB and you should see it.

Good Luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline maxmiller91

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »
Gary - Thanks for the help.  That worked.  Can you direct me to a place in the tutorial to start - first of all to identify the difference between a midi file, MP3, wave file.  My objective first of all is to download one of these in order to edit out the voice so I can use in kareoke style fashion to sing and play along with.  Have just been using CD's on a CD player on gigs, a bit cumbersome.  Thanks again,  Maxine   
Tyros 2
Yamaha P120
Roland KC 350 amp.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »
maxine
You cannot have voice on a Midi file. A midi file is not an audio format - it is a set of digital instructions which can be accessed and understood by a musical instrument. There are no actual sounds on a midi file, the instrument - or it can be a computer maybe computer - uses these instructions to drive a sound generator.
A .wav file is an audio format usually uncompressed so it is very high quality with no missing data and the common format for CDs. Wav files are large and use up a lot of memory.
An MP3  is also an audio format but is compressed so it uses little memory and can be easily transferred over the internet. The compression means that some data is missing but the listener doesn't really notice. 
I think you really want a midi file to play on the keyboard to do what you want. I have never used it but there is software available for Your computer which can edit out vocals from wav or MP3 files, and also software to make a midi file from the wav or MP3 file, but the resulting midi may not be that good quality and may need a lot of editing. 
There is probably someone else who can advise you more on this .
You can download midi karaoke files from various web sites which should work in the Tyros, but the quality is not always great and you have to be selective. There are links to these sites - hit the links button at the top of the page, then select midi sites from the menu on the left.
You can of course record your own midis on the Tyros to sing along with if you dont feel competent to play and sing at the same time. But if your main gig format is singing to backing tracks, I would have thought that you need to invest in the right gear to do this. There is a lot of stuff out there designed for just that.
Mike

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:00:41 AM »
Maxine,

Mike provided you with a good explanation of the various types of files. If you wish to perform karaoke songs using the keyboard, the best place to begin obtaining these files is from www.vanbasco.com which is also where you can download their midi/karaoke player that works with your PC. The PC can then be interfaced with your keyboard using a USB Host Cable. For this to work, however, you will also need to install the drivers in your computer that are on the CD that came with your keyboard.

Good Luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »
Maxine
You can also downoad the karaoke files files onto a memory stick and play them on the keyboard without the connection with your PC just like you did with the Bill Grosse file below.
These karaoke files are not very big, so you can get hundreds ( maybe even thousands) on the memory stick.  Probably a bit easier and quicker to find/ manipulate them on the PC, but not too bad on the keyboard if you put them in convenient folders. I have a lot on my uSb drive alongside hundreds of style files. I have a top level folder called 'Karaoke' then sub folders labelled alphabetically and a couple for prolific artists like the Beatles. You can take a line out from the keyboard to a TV screen for the lyrics and it looks quite professional.  I have even used a projector and screen for the lyrics so everybody could sing along.
Mike

Offline maxmiller91

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »
Mike - Thanks for the basic understanding of the various files.  This is always a first step for me, unscrambling what does what.  My setup for gigs is somewhat primitive and am wanting to simplify things where I can set up songs ahead of time as transposing two keyboards on the fly is challenging - but that's another issue.  Will check out karaoke players and see what is possible there.  Appreciate your helpfulness.  Maxine

Gary - Thanks for the link to Vanbasco and opening up other possibiities for downloading.  I know just enough about computer functions to manage my medical transcription business - my daughter helps me decipher the other stuff.  In the meantime, what does interfacing the PC with the keyboard mean.  Is that a one-time thing or must the USB Host Cable be attached every time for playing.  Will I need to get a cable long enough to stretch from my computer to the keyboard.  Regarding installing drivers to the computer from the CD that came with the keyboard, is that a one-time thing also?  Thanks again.  Maxine  
Tyros 2
Yamaha P120
Roland KC 350 amp.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »
Maxine
Gary is the very best person to advise you how to use your PC for this purpose, but given your state of knowledge I think you should consider using the memory stick method initially which is very simple and will do what you need. You dont need to download the midi player, or link your keyboard to the PC. Just source and download some karaoke files that you think might work, transfer them to the memory stick, stick it in the keyboard and play them. If some seem good and just need minor edit on volumes etc that is easy to do on the keyboard. Once you have a set you like, organize them in a folder or set of folders for playing the right sequence.
On another point, when you look at a memory on the keyboard it will only reveal files of thetype that you select. What I mean is that karaoke and midi files are only visble when you select 'song' on the keuyboard. Similarly, only style files are seen when you select user styles. You will see the folders they are in, but the files themselves will not be accessible. Hope this is clear.
Mike 

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »
Maxine,

Go with Mikes advice using a memory stick until you get to the point where you would want to set up using a PC. And yes, you would need to connect the PC and cable each time. If you live in the U.S., you can PM me your telephone number and I can walk you through the process of connecting the PC to the keyboard over the phone. My toll-free long distance calls are limited to the U.S. and Canada.

Good Luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline maxmiller91

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:29:31 PM »
Mike & Gary - Appreciate your breaking things down to their nitty-gritty forms and agree that the memory stick is the simplest thing for me to get a handle on for now.  I am making printouts of your suggestions for easy access.  Sending my phone number Gary PM so you will have it when I feel ready (does one ever?) to proceed with connecting PC to keyboard.  Do I need to purchase a cable first and how far does it have to extend?  Thanks for your patience.  Maxine   
Tyros 2
Yamaha P120
Roland KC 350 amp.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »
Yes,

You'll need to purchase the cable first. It must be long enough to reach from the PC's USB connector to the keyboard's Host Connector--10-feet is usually just about right for home studio work. For a laptop that is positioned on the keyboard stand or a music stand next to the keyboard, 36 inches is plenty long. The cable is available at any computer store, BJ's, Kosco, etc., for under $10. They are less expensive online at www.cyberguys.com .

A very important step in this procedure is to install the Windows Driver, which is on the CD that came with your keyboard, exactly as the instruction manual tells you to for your version of windows. It is extremely important to follow each step exactly as written.

Good Luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
Whoops! Double post

Gary  8)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:39:32 PM by travlin-easy »
Love Those Yammies...

Offline maxmiller91

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »
Gary - Thought that was my goof.  Anyway, no sweat installing the Windows Driver - my daughter can do that.  I'll get the cable and contact you about this in the near future soon as I comprehend the possibilities with the memory stick.  Fortunately, necessity being the mother of invention and not being multitasked oriented, am motivated enough to see this through with the great help of you people on the forum.  Regards, Maxine
Tyros 2
Yamaha P120
Roland KC 350 amp.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »
Maxine,

Here's the Ray Charles Unchain My Heart style file I told you about on the telephone.

The best price I was able to find for the Z-5500 was at Dell, which was $229. Click Here

Enjoy,

Gary  8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:30:40 PM by travlin-easy »
Love Those Yammies...

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 06:59:35 AM »
Maxine
I copied a couple of karaoke midis here from the collection I have on my own keybaord for you to try. These are probably typical of the best that is out there for free download. The quality is not terrible but certainly not as good as the best pro stuff that can be bought, and even to get these you have to search and cull, because there is much more bad stuff than good stuff out there.
Try them, you should get the lyrics on screen when you press the karaoke button. The tracks are very loud and that seems typical of these downloaded midis, so  to balance with the mic, go to the mixer desk and lower the song volume. Nearly all these type of files contain a melody guide track, but you can switch this off by going to the channel display and putting the relevant track to off - usually but not always channel 4. Of course you can also change the key to suit you. 
Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline maxmiller91

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:21 AM »
Mike - Thanks for sharing the midi's.  Will try them out this afternoon.  May need some help on editing and, if so, will send up a smoke signal.  Maxine
Tyros 2
Yamaha P120
Roland KC 350 amp.

ardenlester00

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »
Maxine,

Somewhere along the line, if you are going to be "tweaking" midis to get them to sound better (AND YOU REALLY CAN!)

you could start to become familiar with the workings of the Mixing Board.  You can learn and use it at many different levels - from simple to
more complex. 

It is there that you can raise and lower individual instruments in midis (and styles) - and also replace instruments - and "pan" them (that's placing them right or left in the sound field.  Also add depth, echo, reverb, general ambiance.

Also in the mixing board you can replace "bad" notes you recorded in your own midis, raise and lower volume on sections, etc. etc.  It's a gold-mine.

Dennis

Offline maxmiller91

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »
Thank you Dennis for your comments.  I have gone over some lessons on the mixing counsole and see this is the next step coming up.  My sound system was the pits and, thankfully, got some help on that through people on the forum.  Ordered some Logitech Z-5500 speakers today and once they are installed can better tell what needs to be fixed.   The possibilities are exciting and initially somewhat overwhelming but know help is out there thanks to people like yourself and others.  Regards, Maxine
Tyros 2
Yamaha P120
Roland KC 350 amp.

ardenlester00

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 04:28:04 PM »
When you're ready to get into the Mixing Board just bring up a thread - and many of us like to talk about that area  - it is
easy to learn to get into it.  Of course, there are complexities that I don't understand - but there's people here who know even that stuff.

God bless, lots of fun ahead,

Dennis