Author Topic: Guidelines for Posting  (Read 34853 times)

Offline Joe W

Guidelines for Posting
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
Guidelines for Posting

This forum is devoted to music news and issues relating to Yamaha PSR and Tyros Arranger keyboards.  Postings related to completely off topic issues, such as politics or culture, do not belong in the PSR Tutorial Forum.

Members must be polite and courteous at all times. Posts (or Emails sent from the forum) that contain rude or foul language, are argumentative, or criticize others are not permitted and can result in membership termination.

When responding to a posting, please stay on the subject of the thread.  If you would like to introduce a new subject, you are free to do so, but put the topic in whatever board seems most appropriate.  This will make it much easier to find relevant information later.

Members may use the “Classified Ads” board to post messages about music-related items they have to sell.  While anyone my refer to particular vendors in their messages, commercial advertising, solicitation, or links are not permitted on this site.

The forum encourages use of attachments as a way of sharing files and information. Allowed extensions (file types) include txt, doc, pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif, mpg, png, sty, mid, zip, wmv, mp3, vce, rgt, mfd, xls, rtf and zip (where virtually anything can be placed).  Maximum attachment size allowed is 7 MB.  Up to 5 attachments (totaling no more than 35 MB) are allowed for a single posting.

You may not include any copyrighted material in any attachments. If you have purchased, for example, style or midi files from somewhere, you can not distribute them freely by providing them as an attachment to your message.  If you have material that would be inappropriate to include as an attachment, it is also inappropriate to offer to email the material to anyone who wants it.

If you have material you would like to share, but it is too large for an attachment, feel free to send it to Joe Waters (jpwaters@gmail.com) and it can be posted in the forum or on the main site where it will be available for anyone to download.

There are a variety of internet sites that allow users to freely upload files they want to share with the world.  Forum members who wish to share MP3 files, which tend to be very large, are encouraged to use these external resources to upload and store their files. They can then provide a link to their music in one of the PSR Tutorial “Perfomance” boards.  Users who wish to comment on member posted songs are encouraged to do so via Email; the Performance boards are not meant to provide group discussions on playing ability.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:43:29 AM by Joe W »
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline ffilipo

Re: Guidelines for Posting
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
what format should II use to upload songs--midi or wav file??????????

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »
what format should II use to upload songs--midi or wav file??????????

Midi for songs posted to this forum.

WAV files are normally too big to post here, so most people open a Box account, and post the link.

Regards,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ffilipo

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:11:46 AM »
fred
who should I send my midi files to???

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
fred
who should I send my midi files to???

When you create a post, click on Additional Options... One of the options is to attach a file.

Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Lucy D-B

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
I cannot see how to post a message to the forum as this is my first attempt to do that, so I am sending my very urgent request here.  Hope that's OK.  I inadvertently turned the power off while I was deleting files from my Tyros 4.  Now I receive a message "Improper shutdown.  Back up data and/or user files have been lost".  Desperately need help as I have someone coming tomorrow to look at this instrument with a view to purchase because I have just taken delivery of my Tyros 5.  Can anyone help me ???

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 07:49:30 PM »
Lucy,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble caused by a improper shutdown.

In view of the fact you were deleting files, i assume you did not want to leave any user files on the Tyros hard drive - that being the case - you can use the format disk command to reformat the hard drive for a fresh start.

See page 101 in the Owners Manual for how to do the format.

Hope this will get you going.

Since you are selling the Tyros, I would not worry about loosing any information in the "User" area as the keyboard does not come with any information there.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Lucy D-B

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 09:46:30 PM »
Bill, Thank you so much for responding.  Problem is that I cannot access ANYTHING on the Tyros 4.  All buttons and indicators are blank.  The only thing that comes up is the initial screen with Tyros written on it and overlaid on that is the message "Improper shut down.  Backup data and/or user files have been lost".  I was trying to take off a lot of the styles I had installed, and also wanted to take my name off the owner's area.  Can't believe that I switched off the wrong power switch.  I had just set up the Tyros 4 in my sewing area for the prospective buyer to inspect tomorrow,  and thought the switch I turned off was for my sewing machine.  Oh dear, have I made a mistake of the greatest magnitude??
Lucy

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 03:01:13 AM »
Hi Lucy,

If the keyboard detects this problem on startup, it should display the message and then attempt to restore the USER drive and initialise the backup data.

How long did you leave the keyboard on after seeing the message?

Try removing any USB sticks connected to the keyboard, then switch it on and leave it for a few minutes to see if it can restore the User drive. You will probably lose files that were saved to the drive but it should eventually start up.

If the keyboard still does not start up fully, the service manual says 'the back up flash ROM (IC23) might be defective'.  If this chip has been damaged then it will probably need replacing. Since the chip is on the main DM board, this could be expensive given the usual practice these days of simply replacing whole circuit boards to effect a repair instead of changing individual components!

Hopefully though it may not come to that!

Regards

Ian

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 05:47:53 AM »
Lucy,

One more thing that can cause this is a defective hard drive.
The keyboard does not need the hard drive to work, so you can just unplug it and see if it will finish starting up.

Hard drives are not very expensive and easily replaced by you - just check your owners manual.

Be sure to unplug your keyboard before unplugging the hard drive.
I would also unplug all other devices from the keyboard until you get a good start up.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline johnkay333

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
Hello. I am probably being incredibly stupid but I cannot see how to post in a forum.
I cant see a button saying "Post". I would appreciate simple instruction of how to post.
I want to request advice about my PSR 3000 firmware in the appropriate forum

Kind regards
JOhn

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 09:52:12 AM »
Hello, John!

I assume you aren't talking about posting a reply to an existing thread, since you've just done that.

If you want to start a new thread in a forum, you must first go to the specific forum you want to post in, and then you should see a "New Topic" button above the list of existing threads. There's a similar button below the list.

You won't see the "New Topic" button while you're inside of an existing thread.

Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443