Author Topic: Setting Forum Date and Time  (Read 3041 times)

pc_hall

Setting Forum Date and Time
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:16:20 AM »
As I mentioned in a private email a few days ago, Joe, I haven't been to the forum in a long long time. I'm quite impressed with it's progress. From what I've read it has to be one of the most friendly and helpful forums on the net.

But there is one problem I have with it, and it's not any fault of the moderators nor the site's creator. The date and time of the latest contributions at the bottom of the Forum's home page seem to be off by a day and a half. I would have to guess that the problem lies with the web site that hosts the forum.

Before I wrote this, the last entry said that it was sent in yesterday at 11:10 PM. The time now is 1:15 PM on 15 August. Then if you scroll down a ways it skips from yesterday to August 13. I know full well there there were messages sent in on the 14th.

I know that this is a very little thing, but I get so confused so easily when I go here to see what's the latest stuff since I last visited. I would sleep so much better if someone could get the host company to set its clock.

Phil

Offline Tresclub

Re: Date and Time - for Joe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:37:50 PM »
Phil,  I was just looking at my 'history' dowqn at the bottom. 
Reading down from the first entry, it starts out with posts from

Today
Yesterday
August 13,
August 12
etc

Hope this helps.

Warren

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »
Phil,

When you registered, did you correct for the time from GMT on the clock. I know it's there somewhere, but I cannot recall exactly how to get to it. Perhaps Joe can help.

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 05:31:06 PM »
Phil,

Yesterday was the 14th by my calendar.
Today is the 15th,
The day before yesterday was the 13th.
Those entries marked "Today" will become yesterday tomorrow.  ;) :D :D :D
That is if the sun comes up to morrow - who Knew?  :o

Alan will tell you it is already tomorrow where he lives.

Bill G
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:32:56 PM by Bill Grosse »
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Afton72

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »
Hi All,
Yep,  10.50,Thursday morning, 16th August, in south east corner of Australia.     Cheers,  Aussie  Alan.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:31:45 PM »
Alan,

When you drop something, does it fall up?  :D :D :D

Bill G

Offline Joe W

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
This forum is run on servers at Lunarpages - which is in California.  The forum "time" is California time.  Each user, however, can set the time to display at their local time.  So when the forum time is 8:30 pm in California, my posting at that time will show 11:30 pm since I am in Virginia -- 3 hours different from the California time.

Each user can set their own time offset.  Here's how.

1) Go to Profile (on the line above that shows HOME  HELP SEARCH  ADMIN  PROFILE  CALENDAR  LOGOUT.

2) Under your profile there are a number of links in the left-hand panel.  Select Modify Profile, then Look & Layout Preferences.  Here you will see options to set your Time Format and your Time Offset.  (My offset is set to "3" since I am 3 hours "later" than the California time.

You only need to set your time preferences once.  The forum will remember it whenever you log on.
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline Tresclub

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 11:00:26 PM »
I think it should go like this in the USA:

PST = 0 (that's for moi)
MST = 1
CST = 2
EST = 3

I think . . .  Time Zones

Warren

pc_hall

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:18:36 AM »
Well, no wonder I was confused! The time adjuster for me was set at -11 hours. So yesterday when I started writing it was tomorrow in California which would have been the 16th (or today, today) but that was yesterday that it thought was tomorrow (which would have been today today). Then to make matters worse, while I was writing the thing, my minus 11 hour day changed, and tomorrow became today on all of those postings. And yesterday became yesterday once more (I always wondered where they came up with that song - right here on the psrtutorial forum!) Anyway, I changed the offset tu-tu - err - to two - so that it thinks I'm living on Tulsa time even though I'm closer to Oklahoma City. Hopefully when I send this in and I go look at it, the forum will tell me that I sent it today - unlike yesterday when it said I did it tomorrow. I'm getting old fast enough as it is!

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Phil

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:31:14 AM »
Phil,

I wish I had said that!  :D :D :D :D

Bill G