Author Topic: Earning from Styles  (Read 840 times)

Offline Normanfernandez

Earning from Styles
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
I have a Question regarding Styles.

- Copyright ( The Song Artist)
- Creating a website to sell
- Also any possibility to Lock the Style

Friend and me are planning to start on a Project. ( Selling Styles)

Offline EileenL

Re: Earning from Styles
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »
Have never seen a site that can lock styles so that they can not be copied. Even Yamaha can't do this.
  You have to rely on honesty and keep an eye on all sites if you have copy write on them and then act if you see them being passed around.

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
What about Copyright Issues?

Offline frozzers

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »
Norman

Re copyright, take a look here, particularly the Peter Baartmans video link.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41942.msg330461.html#msg330461

Cheers

Chris

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice my friends!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
When Peter say's there is no copywrite on styles he is referring to if you use a style to create a song. It dose not apply to taking a style from a Yamaha keyboard and selling it or giving it to someone who dose not have that keyboard. If I were to buy some Yamaha style from Yamaha music Soft I have agreed to only use them for my own use. If I give them away or put them on a forum I am breaking copywrite of the agreement.   

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 05:36:33 PM »
Copyright is only worth something when it can be enforced. That is almost impossible on styles, even for a large company like Yamaha, so no chance for an individual. I think Yamaha would only try to enforce it if one of the other competitive companies copied them. The cost of copyright or patent enforcement can be huge, and no certainty of success. So companies only do it when it is strategically important.
Mike

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 05:56:05 PM »
I would think an individual would be much better off charging one dollar for each style than the $5 or $6 that Yamaha charges for them. You are gonna be using the style anyway and you can send out a download link and after a week delete the link. So you have zero invested in the style anyway but for your time and you needed the style anyway or you wouldn't have taken the time to create it.  ;)

I just give them away.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:57:18 PM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 12:37:40 AM »
Well I accidentally posted a style in a batch I sent to Joe a few years back and was promptly sent an E Mail telling me to remove it or face consequences. I then quickly contacted Joe to remove it and sent apologies to the company. So it can happen and it did. 

Offline rattley

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 12:00:11 AM »
Happened to me too Eileen!!  II received a certified letter in the mail from a Dutch attorney threatening legal action if I didn't remove it. Of course I did. Oddly enough the style in question had already been posted here for a few years. I just modified it to my liking and made it a "gem" style.  Remember those?...................Oh joy!   -charley

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 02:42:05 AM »
This was the cheap 'chance your arm' option. There is zero chance they would actually do anything. The cost would be astronomic for one style file, and the damages virtually nothing.

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
Well I accidentally posted a style in a batch I sent to Joe a few years back and was promptly sent an E Mail telling me to remove it or face consequences. I then quickly contacted Joe to remove it and sent apologies to the company. So it can happen and it did.
Was it Yamaha??

Offline frozzers

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 09:33:19 AM »
Unless it pre-dated Peter Baartman's video, it can't have been ....

Cheers

Chris

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 10:11:27 AM »
Enforcing copyright is extremely difficult. A few (maybe quite a few) years ago there was a big issue about music being pirated and sold online cheaply or simply being downloaded from sharing websites. Same with movies. The end result is literally nothing can be done. If You own a copyright I download your work from another country, trying to stop me using it is next to impossible. Even trying to find me is next to impossible.

So companies resort to threats, hoping to scare people into not using their material. Go to YouTube. You can watch lots of copyrighted movies (full and high quality) for free.

If I take a piece of a movie and use it for a cover song for example I have stomped on many toes but the penalty is nothing.

When I ran my computer business the amount of copyrighted material I found on user computers was unbelievable. The law says I have to report it but if I did I could have been caught up in lawsuits, which would have been time wasting and expensive for me. Not worth it honestly.

So good luck with making and selling your styles but stopping people using them... unlikely.

Regards, Richard
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:16:02 AM by RichardL »
When 67 years old you reach, look as good you will not (Master Yoda).
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5owo7l0RT8J-4KpHmmUaYw
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/masteryoda123/sets/rlmusic

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
No it  was not Yamaha it was a company called Back Beat. I don't know if they still produce styles for Yamaha.