Author Topic: Printing of message threads  (Read 3457 times)

nealsaun

Printing of message threads
« on: November 17, 2006, 02:04:43 PM »
Joe,

I recently tried to print out a message thread (Backing Track Help), but I found that my system would not print anything more than the initial posting.  The "Print Preview" for this thread (and other threads that I tried) indicated that the thread was 2 pages long, but then it only displayed the initial posting.  The second page was blank, and that was the page that I really wanted to print out (i.e., Bill Gross' detailed instructions of how to change tempo in a style).   Is there a way to get around this problem?  If there is not one at this time, I suggest that you consider having your forum operator revise the software programming in any future update of this forum.

BTW, I use Mozilla's Firefox as my browser.  So perhaps this is a problem that is unique to Firefox.  If so, please let me know.  However, I still would like to see this problem resolved in a future forum update.

Neal

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Printing of message threads
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »
open the thread, right click the text, click Select All, click Copy, then open your word processor and click edit/paste. This should solve your problem.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

nealsaun

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:32:01 PM »
open the thread, right click the text, click Select All, click Copy, then open your word processor and click edit/paste. This should solve your problem.

Gary,

I tried your suggestion (above), and it worked fine.  Thank you for solving this limitation for me.  However, I still think that the forum operator should be able to remove this limitation via software changes.

Neal

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 04:18:46 PM »
The problem is not with the forum. I too use Mozilla Firefox, and therein lyes the problem. If you scroll down to the bottom of the post page, then click the bottom of the text, then click print preview you will see the entire post. However, if you do not do this, only the top post will appear in the print preview. I just discovered this myself, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger on this one.

Cheers,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 05:12:13 PM »
Gary,

This is a great new feature you have discovered for us.
I usually just select and drag the text and copy to Notepad.
I keep an icon for notepad on the tray next to the "Start" button for quick access.

Bill
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

edugnani

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 05:51:24 PM »
Hi guys,

Maybe the problem is Firefox version. I use the last one (version 2.0) and everything works fine (including Print Preview).

Regards,

Evandro

nealsaun

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 07:35:43 PM »
Gary,
I tried your approach of clicking on text at the end of the post page, but the results (for me) were still the same---the Print Preview page shows only the first post plus a blank second page.  Maybe I'm not clicking on the right thing at the bottom of the post page.  Can you give me an example (using this post thread) of what you clicked on?   Thanks!

Evandro,
I also tried your suggestion and downloaded the new version (2.0) of Firefox, but I got the same results as I got with the previous version (1.5). 

Since this printing problem seems to be associated with Firefox, possibly my problem is associated with one of the Options settings that I am using with this browser.  I tried sorting through the Options settings to find something that might be causing this problem, but nothing seemed to be obvious. 

If anyone has any further suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

Neal

SEEKER

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »
Neal,

Highlight the Text you want to print....

Do Ctrl C to copy it...

Paste it into your word processor....
Save/Print it from there.

Seeker

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:01:53 PM »
Well I'm using MS Internet Explorer and all I have to do is click on [File] at top of window and select [Print Preview]
and I get all 7 pages ready to print.

But, I still prefer to just select the text I want and paste it into Notepad for printing or saving
because I get just the text I want and not all that formating and wasted space.  ;)

Bill
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:03:04 PM by Bill Grosse »
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

nealsaun

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 08:09:47 PM »
Bill,
I also tried using I-E (version 6.0), and I got the Print Preview to display all of the pages ready for printing---after I set the options menu to "All frames individually".  So I can use that approach, if necessary.  However, I will probably use the 'copy & paste' approach that Gary initially suggested---and you and Seeker seconded. 

Thanks to all for your help/suggestions.

Neal

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 08:38:07 PM »
One other thing that comes to mind is your printer setup--it may have some bearing on how it prints html files. Just a shot in the dark.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

edugnani

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 05:00:48 AM »
That's strange NeaL,

I tried a lot of Firefox setups, and Print Preview (File / Print Preview) worked for all of them.
  Maybe Gary's suggestion (printer setup) should be followed.
  Regards,

Evandro

nealsaun

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 09:11:03 AM »
Gary & Evandro,

I tried your suggestion of checking printer settings, but I couldn't find anything that was pertinent to my problem there.  However, I seem to have 'stumbled' upon a solution.  In the browser's Print Preview  page, I selected the option of "Each Frame Separately" and then just pressed the "Print" button, and all of the 5 pages printed correctly---although the first page has only the top-of-the-page heading on it.  However, the Print Preview  page still indicated that there were only 2 pages to print and the second one was blank---the same indication that I was getting before. (I tried this same approach with some other pages, and I got the same results.)  So I assume that there is some problem in the Firefox  browser software that keeps the Print Preview  page from indicating the correct number of pages that will be printed.

Anyway, my problem seems to be solved, and I thank you folks for your assistance.

Neal
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 09:12:41 AM by nealsaun »