Author Topic: The power of the 'naked' Tyros 5  (Read 8217 times)

Offline ton37

The power of the 'naked' Tyros 5
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
I received as becoming a supported member a huge amount of files for my Tyros5. Like that. I've only just, I guess 5% listened to those. Particular the style/songs of a few composers (their songs/styles) were very interesting (for me). I will never reach those level they show me, but it inspires me a lot.

As I'm totally new to Yamaha-keyboard, it is not my intention to overlook other participants/performers in this board, but I've had no time to discover all those information (yet).

I hope it is allowed to attach the midi-file as an example. This midifile is from DaveKelly and is called Science (it looks to me that it is a midi-file), maybe not your taste but 'm particular interested in the sound-effects you can hear in this song.

Now my question: apparantly it is all in the Tyros 5, otherwise I couldn't reproduce it. But.., could such composition be made/composed (not that I can) without using Y.E.M. or using a (premium pack) or using the (sounds in the) Expansion Memory. So with only the 'naked' Tyros 5??

I guess it's a newbie question, but it makes me very curious. Regards, Ton ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
My best regards,
Ton

Offline XeeniX

Re: The power of the 'naked' Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
Hello Ton and welcome :)

Yup and much more than that. Your T5 has fantastic sounds and styles on board without the (immediate) need for expensive expansions or the need to make custom voices. In fact your midi file has used mostly XG voices. A lot of them being inferior to the T5 preset voices.

I'd say go look in the Pad and synth section of your Tyros voice section and check out some of the many multi pads (chillout pads, trance etc.) in the multi pad section. For styles check your ballad and perhaps dance folder and search for styles like Chillout, Analog, CouldyBay et cetera. Pop&Rock folder also has a few nice ones fort this genre.

I'd say first try out and play/experiment with what you already have on teh Tyros before experimenting with bought packs, styles and so on. That way you wil really get to know your T5 and will find out there's not much it can't do. The mixing console is also a very interesting area on your Tyors. Especially the effects tab that is in there. With DSP effects you can completely and very easily change  the "feel" of a preset voice. There's more info in the reference manual and you tube.

After discovering all that's already on board that will interest you it is time enough to go check for stuff like expansion packs et cetera :)

regards,
Peter

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:28:14 PM by XeeniX »

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
Thank you XeeniX for your answer. I'm pleased that your respond is positive. I appreciate your advise, that's just the way I whish to go to. So much to try out and you showed me a way to do it.

For me is it a little unclear: assuming that the T5 presets are so good (and I agree with that on my still short observation), why does one use 'packs'? Does those 'packs' use 'sound(chips)' that are hidden in the Tyros 5 and could not used by those who doesn't have an expansion and/or such soundpack? Or...?
My best regards,
Ton

bmarcill

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »

hello

sty with midi

ben

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: motifes

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »

For me is it a little unclear: assuming that the T5 presets are so good (and I agree with that on my still short observation), why does one use 'packs'? Does those 'packs' use 'sound(chips)' that are hidden in the Tyros 5 and could not used by those who doesn't have an expansion and/or such soundpack? Or...?

I have converted many, many styles which come from Yamaha's offers of Expansion Packs and found the vast majority of the Styles use the keyboard's factory voices. Only in the OTS will you see the new voices used that the pack will include.

Of all 29 packs for the S950, I heard only one really out standing voice, that was the BAG PIPE voice. However, I will never use that voice. The rest of the voices are so close to sounding like something I already had on my keyboard. I couldn't really tell the difference other than the reverb or chorus setting were changed and you can do that yourself.

Buying an expansion pack is for the styles, is my guess. But here again you can make them yourself and get great results just using the styles that come with your keyboard.

Regards
Drake

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »
@Ben, Thanks Ben for taking time to attach that style-file. That is what my ears like to hear and it demoes how good the T5 sounds relative to the random example in my post up here.

@Drake. Thanks for your explanation. That make it more clearly. Without disrespect to those who use 'Packs', I guess it is not my thing (yet) as the 'naked' Tyros 5 offers so much quality as you pointed out.

I knew it, great forum and helpful and patient forummers. Gr. Ton
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: alans

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
It is a question of personal taste like always :) For you IF and WHEN you decide to buy an expansion perhaps the Celtic pack (voices, styles, pads and registratios) and/or the pan flutes pack (voice pack with regsitrations) could be interesting. Both have really nice sounds in them that could be used in chillout/ambience music for example. Remember that you need a flash memory expansion module though. Not sure if your T5 came with such an expansion card. if not installed, installing packs won't be possible.

And as Drake mentioned, Most styles from these packs are already converted to work without the pack. But to be honest, these styles although some of them are really nice conversions, will not sound as nice as the original with pack :)

Peter
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:22:14 PM by XeeniX »

Offline ton37

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »
@Xeenix, ok, good to know when it comes to make choices. There is a Memory Expansion in it of 1 GB, but I guess it is for user memory. As you wrote, first things to do is to discover and enjoy the basics (etc.) in the T5 and after that I will experience if I'm missing something that could be supplemented by 'packs'.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:45:08 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
If it's 1Gb then you already have an expansion module installed. The user area is a different area and as far as I know smaller. That area is often used on Tyros arrangers to temporarily store things you are currently working on. At least that is where I used it for, moving it to the internal hard drive of the Tyros (or to a usb drive) once I'm done.

Peter

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »
Thanks Xeenix, Obvious one can see I haven't payed attention  in the hardware-memory issues yet . ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
Hi Ton,
   Packs contain new styles voices and multi pads plus a registration. The Country pack contains good styles and some fun voices as well as many others. Just voice packs the Pan Flutes and Trombone are very good and different to the ones on the keyboard.
  If you go to the Yamaha Music Sort site you will see what there is and what they contain.

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Hi EileinL, thanks for pointing me to those possibillities, I was aware of the fact that one can buy a huge amount of packs. I wondered if a T5-buyer could make their own sounds/styles by themselves without using Y.E.M. and Packs, with the same quality! For me it would be a challenge on long terms, but only if it is technical possible with a T5 without YEM etc.
Looking to the appreciated answers on my post, for me it looks that the (sound)quality of the T5 is not the limitation to do that, but the level of skills of the keyboardowner (like me ;)) is the culprit. Therefore I guess it is easier to buy the styles/sounds one likes.

Excuse my ignorance, hence my key ( ;)) question was: could a yamaha-keyboard-customer make those sounds by him/herself. If they cannot: why not ...?? 8)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:32:30 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton