Author Topic: Interesting Things You Can Save To Registration  (Read 6459 times)

gerarde

Interesting Things You Can Save To Registration
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:50:06 AM »
On my new Genos, I have one style I am using for 3 different song registrations.
Each song will vary in tempo, transpose, etc.
If I take one style BigBandBallad, for example, I may use it differently for each song I want to play.
I use MIXER to do all this.
On one song, I may want a different DRUM set at a different volume.
On another song, I may want not only a different DRUM set, but also an ACOUSTIC BASS.
And on a third song, I may want to change the instrument for CHORD 1, and readjust all the volumes.

When I make the changes I need, in that style, for that song, I save it to a registration.
The registration keeps track and saves the changes made in MIXER
So, one style can be modified any way you want, in MIXER and is saved to your registration.

Some users make the changes in STYLE CREATOR, and save the style under a new name in the USER area.
Doing it the way I did, the style stays intact and all changes are in the registration.
Then, if you come up with another song that would sound good using one of the 3 registrations you made, you can just make whatever other changes you need, tempo or volume balance and SAVE that registration under a new name.

How I got into this was when I loaded a STYLE I had on my PSR S970.
These styles do not use REVO drums.
So, for each style, I changed the DRUM set to one that sounded good, using mainly REVO drums in the MIXER screen.
And these were song specific styles.
I updated some instruments as well.
Especially in COUNTRY STYLES, on some I was able to use the new RESONATOR GUITAR for CHORD 1 or whatever.
Then I saved it to a registration keeping the original style intact.

I hope I made all this clear,,,,,

Gerard

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector, Paul B

Offline Al Ram

Re: Interesting Things You Can Save To Registration
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:59:59 AM »
Gerard

Interesting concept.  That means that you can almost have different styles out of a single style.

Yes, you made it clear.  The only thing is I do not know what you are referring to when you say MIXER.   I can guess this is computer  software external to the keyboard . . . .  what is the specific brand name/provider and software name . . . . ?

thanks in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
Hi Gerard

That is how all the Tyros range have always worked, and why most people use Registrations.

Al. The MIXER is in the keyboard, not an external one.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »
Gerard,

Thanks for sharing that information very useful.    I've never been a fan of taking a style in style creator then saving it under a new name, registrations are the best way to do that.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »
Gerard,

it's good to know that changed voices in styles can be saved in registration.

But the same does not work for midi songs. When you need a midi song with a changed voicing, you have to call song creator, apply changes and save to (new) file. Only changing voices and saving to registry will not work, because the song will load its old voices upon startup, otherwise, overriding settings from registry.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 12:27:43 PM »
You should also find that if you've tweaked any of the DSP parameters on any of the style or voice parts, those tweaks will now also save. This was introduced with PSR-Sn70; Tyros had to use User Effects for this.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:03:10 PM »
Gerard, when you have simple styles, with the same instruments (voices) from Intro 1 to Ending 3 to all channels, or with the same settings (volumes, effects, filters, etc) you can make as you say.
Modifying styles in Style play mode (not in style creator) will change the settings in SInt part of style (for all mains, fills, break intros and endings). So if you have different settings in style parts, DON'T do in this way.

I recommend changing parameters in Style Creator, is not big deal.

I will never change a style parameter than in Style Creator! ;)

Regards.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »
Code: [Select]
I've never been a fan of taking a style in style creator then saving it under a new name, registrations are the best way to do that.
And if you switch to another keyboard it's will never sounds the same.

Modify the style and store it in the User or USB or HD.
Make a registration from the modified style.
Now when you switch to another keyboard the style sounds the same.
Best Regards,
Wim

gerarde

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 11:00:42 PM »
Yes, registrations are the way to go.
This way the style is always intact.

Gerard