Author Topic: Genos arriving on Monday 4th Dec 2017.  (Read 12346 times)

Offline Pianoman

Genos arriving on Monday 4th Dec 2017.
« on: December 02, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »
Hello Everyone.

It has been confirmed that the Genos I had ordered for testing, will arrive here the day after tomorrow.

I will go early Monday morning and probably be at the music store all day, getting to know the instrument.

It is being sent here specially for me to Demo, since hardly anyone else here has the money or the inclination to buy these things anymore.

DJs rule the Island here (Ibiza), and most music acts here consist of a guy or Duo or Trio doing a tribute show of Elvis, Neil Diamond, Robbie Williams, The Supremes etc, singing along to a Laptop.

No musical instrument is ever used or needed.
They just need a Laptop.

A few do have a cheap keyboard on stage, but again, it is the Laptop that does all the work.
They don't actually play the instrument.

Which is why the music store is shipping this thing over, specially for me to try out.
I am probably the only one who will pay good money to buy a Professional arranger here.

I have decided to buy the instrument once it meets my expectations and addresses my concerns.
If all goes well, I shall take possession of the Genos by Wednesday the 6th of December 2017.

I am very particular and insistent about playing music live.
Apart from the style accompaniments, from which I remove a lot of the bells and whistles, I never have, and never will, use an SMF Midi File, or Mp3s, or Laptop for my music.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but I believe that the name Musician can only be applied to someone who who has taken the time to learn and actually play a musical instrument, and respects music as a serious discipline.
Not take shortcuts with a Laptop.

Learning to play an instrument is first and foremost a discipline. And like all other disciplines, it require countless hours of training, pain, tears, and maximum devotion before one can walk around thumping one's chest and declare himself/herself a Musician.

Anyway, by Wednesday the 6th of December I might turn into a Genos owner.
Whether that'll do much to improve my music, or not, remains to be seen.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Genos arriving on Monday 4th Dec 2017.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
Hi Abby,

A Musician is a Musician.  An Entertainer is an Entertainer.  You are both!!!  :)  :)  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 08:26:56 PM »
Pianoman,

I hope you like the Genos, I’m sure you will!

Rick D.

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »
Pianoman,
Congrats on the Geno's  :) ; hope everything pans out for you as expected
Enjoy the Experience !

Craig "Keyboardist"
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
Abby, I'm sure you will absolutely love what you hear.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 11:11:24 PM »
Abby,

I’ll be surprised if you don’t love what you hear and play.  I’ve been a real Korg fan the last few years and once I tired the Genos it was a convincer, not only for the sound but the changes in the operating system.  Korg has had live controls and features I always thought if Yamaha had it would be great.........Genos has many of those changes.  Have fun playing that bad boy Genos.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »
Hello Stephen.

Yes i will. I intend to spend most of my day at the store playing it.
Hopefully the guy won't mind. I ordered it to try it. I haven't promised him that I'll buy it.

But it's high time that they bring one over here anyway.

I have some converted Genos styles on my Tyros right now.
Mostly to listen to the similarities of styles, and to listen if there are any really new styles.

They obviously don't sound great on my Tyros, but like I've said before, 80 percent of the styles on Genos are identical to the factory preset styles of the Tyros 3.

Also, I suspect what Yamaha has done was to scan the internet for interesting modified song styles and incorporate them into the Genos. It's funny that nobody else has noticed this.

Most of the "new" Genos styles are styles that I already have downloaded from the various style collections right here on PsrTutorial years ago. Check them out and you will see that I am right.

I have a folder of select styles that I call Pianoman's Choice for years now on my Hard Disk.
Compiled from the various style collections I have found here on the Tutorial years ago.

Almost all the "new" Genos styles are in there. Maybe i should find a way to upload that folder to the PSR Tutorial styles collection.

You may have noticed that I haven't said one word about the voices, SA2! or otherwise.
It's because the styles are the most important thing for me.

Not the voices. I really couldn't care less about the voices. Any reasonable sounding Guitar, Organ, or Saxophone is good enough for me.

I also rarely use the intros and endings. Just the 4 variations and the break button.

I won't be buying this board to amuse myself or a group of friends at home.
I have to sit and play in front of a highly analytical and critical audience every night.

The structure of the styles and the ease and speed of changing from one song to another is what's important for me, and that's what I need to look at on Monday.

Even a 5 seconds gap between songs feels like a lifetime when you're playing in front of a bunch of people.

Anyway, I will say no more now, and reserve my judgement for later, after i have meticulously combed through the instrument.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:41:06 AM by Pianoman »

Offline Mjm

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »
Pianoman,  I hope you enjoy your day trying out the Genos! It sounds like you have a "corner on the market" when it comes to actually playing an instrument rather than just singing along to a laptop. Kudos to you! I enjoy your music!

Best regards,

Mark

tyrosman

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
hi Abby im with you all the Way on this one i got young organist of the year back in 1981 i started in the clubs at the age of 10 yrs never used a midi file in my life always play live i listen to a song 3 times then get the lyrics pick the style it is the styles i like as well and also the sounds ill Get my Genos after March because all my Pack will be converted and by then there will be more updates ill enjoy my Tyros 5 till then  :) ive had every Tyros and always had Yamaha nothing Else :)

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
Hello Stephen.

I have some converted Genos styles on my Tyros right now.
Mostly to listen to the similarities of styles, and to listen if there are any really new styles.

They obviously don't sound great on my Tyros, but like I've said before, 80 percent of the styles on Genos are identical to the factory preset styles of the Tyros 3.

I have a folder of select styles that I call Pianoman's Choice for years now on my Hard Disk.
Compiled from the various style collections I have found here on the Tutorial years ago.

Almost all the "new" Genos styles are in there. Maybe i should find a way to upload that folder to the PSR Tutorial styles collection.

I also rarely use the intros and endings. Just the 4 variations and the break button.

The structure of the styles and the ease and speed of changing from one song to another is what's important for me, and that's what I need to look at on Monday.

Even a 5 seconds gap between songs feels like a lifetime when you're playing in front of a bunch of people.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Abby,

Thanks for your thoughts you could probably submit your folder of styles to Joe Waters and he'll post them on the site.

I rarely use intros on my gigs and a very short amount of downtime between tunes is critical, yes even 5 seconds feels like a long time between songs. Playlist on the Genos is a great tool to keep that time down too. 
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline alans

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
Hi Abby (Pianoman)

I hope you enjoy your day with Genos,it is always interesting to play a keyboard that is not familiar to one's self, I remember some years ago trying a friends Roland E80,it seemed to me a very strange keyboard to me coming from a Technics Kn7000,but my friend loved it.
Please give us your honest opinion of the Genos,I'm sure many poeple will enjoy reading your views on it whatever they are.

Best wishes

Alan 😄😄

BTW if you could manage a video of you trying the Genos that would be great,and very interesting,but don't go to any trouble  if it is not possible,I appreciate you will have a busy day.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:16:15 PM by alans »
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 06:20:14 PM »
Thanks Stephen, Tyrosman, And Alan.

I'm sure the Genos will be great, and I intend to give an honest and unbiased opinion of the instrument once I have played it.
Like I said, I will spend a major part of my day at the store. Or until the store owner gets fed up, and throws me out.

My opinion, after testing, will not be so much about the myriad functions in the instrument, because it would not be fair to form an opinion, positive or negative, after a few hours of tinkling.

It will be about the styles and how quickly one can get the board rocking "straight out of the box".
I will, of course, try out as many sounds as I can and comment on those too.

When a friend of mine bought a T4 in 2011, I was very impressed by the Shoops, Doo Waps,ooohs and aaahs incorporated into the Rock n Roll styles.

As well as the Scat and other voices incorporated into Brazilian styles and especially in Scat Legend for Al Jarreau's "Roof Garden".
These styles with incorporated rhythmic voices do not exist on the T3.

I guess they should now be even better on the Genos.

I have no doubt that the voices and drums are fantastic, but I have to confess that I'm a bit worried.

My worry, if I can be honest, is about getting more of the same, in regard to styles.

These are the styles that i already have in the T3.

For Oldies:     26 out of the 36 styles already exist on my T3.
For Ballroom: 28 out of the 32 styles.
For Country:  23 out of the 38 styles.
For Jazz:        28 out of the 35 styles.
For Latin:       24 out of the 30 styles.
For Pop:         23 out of the 48 styles.
For R&B:        36 out of the 45 styles.

I haven't had time to look at the Retro Pop, Rock, Dance, and other styles.

But i know that it will be basically the same trend.
And the styles gap between the T5 and Genos is probably even narrower.

I'm not much into EDM anyway. I'd rather leave that to the younger generation.
I would probably do a good job of it if I were to play that stuff,
but I would also look ridiculous doing that at my age.

That would be the same thing as an old guy walking into a hip hop club
and attempting to dance like Lil' Wayne or Drake.

No, not our Drake, the other Drake, the Hip Hop Drake.

Stephen, the styles in my folder are the styles that I've cherry picked from the 1000s of styles on this tutorial.

Especially the ones on Musicmaker 2 and Harry's collection. As well as others.
But I absolutely don't mind uploading them. I took, and I'll give back.

Alan, I will have to see if I can grab a hold of somebody to come and film while I play.
I'll ask my son to come if he can. And bring along my trusty old Kodak.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:44:18 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Ryszard Bieszczad

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »
Pianoman ;D
    I congratulate you on choosing a great arranger, Genos.
I fully share your view on playing - you just have to take a place in front of the keyboard and play. Just play and nothing more.
   During less than four years I created exactly 2346 compositions, performed personally and personally on Roland's and Ketron's instruments and for the last two years on Tyros 4 in black.
    They inspire me to create music styles of accompaniment.
All improvised compositions are on YouTube.
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3yq9s0mTwBuKtCg5u43-uA?view_as=public

Regards

erbis
A day without making music is a lost day :)
https://psrtutorial.com/perf/ryszard.html

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
Thank you Erbis.
I haven't bought it yet. I will only be trying it out,  withban option to buy it.
They have gone down to 3900 Euros now.
Maybe I can squeeze him a bit more.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »
Pianoman,  I hope you enjoy your day trying out the Genos! It sounds like you have a "corner on the market" when it comes to actually playing an instrument rather than just singing along to a laptop. Kudos to you! I enjoy your music!

Best regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

The laptop thing wasn't meant to offend anybody here.

There's a Pianist here called Victor, and another one, a Hungarian called Tamasz.
These two are formidable Jazz Pianists that I look up to like Gods.
It's a marvel to watch them play. I never miss an opportunity to go see them play, except when I'm working myself.

They are struggling to find work here, it really breaks my heart, thanks to the mp3 laptop brigade.

These laptop guys don't play. Some have a keyboard on stage just for show, but they don't actually play.
And others don't even bother bringing a keyboard along. They got tired of pretending.

I am only referring to what's happening here.

In the days before Karaoke, Mp3s, and Midi files took over the world, these two were the most sought after musicians on this Island.

One other problem though, is that they do not sing. They can do unbelievable things on a Piano but don't sing.
They are serious musicians, a bit too serious, with the personality of a brick.
But I really feel for them and find it sad.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:38:19 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »
Abby, I'm sure you will absolutely love what you hear.

Good luck,

Gary 8)

Thanks Gary.
I'm sure I will. And I'll update you every step of the way.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Tonybavaro

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
I was"stage struck"at a very early age and despite a distinct lack of talent,managed to always make a living,first playing drums,then as a comedian,female impersonator and more latterly as a DJ.I made a lot more money as a DJ than anything else.However,I always thought that being a DJ made me some sort of fraud,living off the back of other people's talent.I agree wholeheartedly with Abby that appearing on stage with just a laptop,or backing tracks is taking money under false pretences.Proper musicians can make £10 keyboard sound like a dream,and proper entertainers do not need backing tracks etc.
I think there is a danger that some of us are in danger of losing sight of what it is to make music,and the joy and elation of playing a tune and absolutely nailing it.Just sit down and play the bl:::dy thing.
I have a cheap keyboard at the moment,and it only human nature to want better-can I justify a Tyros5,or indeed a Genos now that I have retired.I just have a feeling that these advanced keyboards are in danger of turning one into a computer operator.
This is not intended as a criticism of anyone,but rather a worry that we may be Becoming button pressers.
I think the thing that stands out for me ,with Abby's videos,is that as well as being great musically,he enjoys what he is doing and obviously enjoying himself.Personality and a big smile will get you a long way on stage,not forgetting taken.Abby,you have all those in spades,and I wish you every success.
Tony

The following users thanked this post: Pianoman

Tonybavaro

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »
BTW,apologies if some of the above does not make much sense,early Christmas celebrations,and too much Armagnac are responsible.
Tony

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 10:23:54 PM »

I made a lot more money as a DJ than anything else.However,I always thought that being a DJ made me some sort of fraud,living off the back of other people's talent.I agree wholeheartedly that appearing on stage with just a laptop,or backing tracks is taking money under false pretences.Proper musicians can make £10 keyboard sound like a dream,and proper entertainers do not need backing tracks etc.
I think there is a danger that some of us are in danger of losing sight of what it is to make music,and the joy and elation of playing a tune and absolutely nailing it.Just sit down and play the bl:::dy thing.
Tony

Thank you Tony.
I like the part about taking money under false pretenses.
And the early Christmas celebrations.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:25:33 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 01:46:14 PM »
Genos Update.

Ok, I just got back from the music store. No Genos has arrived.

After strongly verbalizing my frustration and disappointment, they patiently explained, like explaining to a child,
that the delay is due to the many current and upcoming Spanish public holidays.

And that they normally wait until they have many more items to load into their truck before shipping things over, not just a single item, while also saying that it will arrive "soon."

I retorted that the Main store in Mallorca had confirmed, when I was in the store on Saturday, and  over their own phone, that it would be here today.

I got the public holidays business patiently explained to me all over again.

I should have asked for a confirmation via e-mail.
I wonder if one can sue somebody for breaking a promise made via an e-mail message?
This is a question for all you formidable legal minds out there.

It is not the first time that this store here has disappointed me.
I once ordered a Yamaha sustain pedal in May and it only arrived in November.

There are only 2 music stores here. This one will sell me the Genos for 3900 €, while the other store sells it for 4439 €.

To say that I am merely disappointed would be an understatement, but I controlled my language at the store.

I cling to these people because of their cheaper asking prices. It makes me feel a little bit like a lady of the night.

I took my disappointment like a man, without bending over though, and left the store, after being promised a call as soon as the Genos arrives.

I will continue posting updates on this subject in the coming days.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:02:23 PM by Pianoman »

Offline alans

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »
Hi Pianoman

Sorry to hear of your dissapointing day,but you are not on your own,most of us had to wait  several weeks for delivery,in my case 6 weeks,and then empty promises of when it would be in.
Typical of some retailers !!

I've heard of the saying in Spain. ...why do today what you can do tomorrow 😆😆😆

Yes,good thinking, let them email you to avoid dissapointment.

I think you will find it is worth the wait.

Good luck for next time

Best wishes

Alan

Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »
Hi Pianoman

I've heard of the saying in Spain. ...why do today what you can do tomorrow 😆😆😆

Best wishes

Alan

Very true.

There's a mechanic here known as Pepe Mañana. It translates as Pepe Tomorrow in English.

Since every 5th person is called Pepe here, preceded by Toni, Paco, Juan, and *****, you have to include that nickname when referring to him.

The Pepe Mañana name comes from his habit of saying come pick up your car tomorrow. Even for changing a broken tail light.

I spent my youth in Switzerland and Germany, then 10 years in Belgium.
It took me a long time to adapt here. They close shops at lunchtime and don't reopen till 5 or 5.30 PM.

A woman colleague once advised me to take it easy, in this way,

She said " You have a German mentality, you live to work, here we only work to live."

I've talked to German tourists here who, on the last day of their holiday, really brighten up when telling me how happy they are about going back to work.

Work is something that is very reluctantly undertaken here.
It is one reason that I taught myself to fix most of the easy things on my car.

A change of motor oil and filter, plus spark plugs, requires you leaving your car at the garage  at 9 AM, and picking it up at 6 PM.
So i do that, and many other small fixes, myself.

We'll see what happens.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 03:56:03 PM by Pianoman »

Mikey

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 11:26:33 PM »
Hi Abby,

A Musician is a Musician.  An Entertainer is an Entertainer.  You are both!!!  :)  :)  :)

Ordered mine on Saturday, arriving later today. Looking forward to getting it set up for next gig especially since my tyros 5 is being sent back to yamaha for the 2nd time in a fortnight even after receiving a new replacement motherboard.

I guess at least the 6 year warranty on the new genos will give us piece of mind.

kenley

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »
Mikey, Where did you order yours from ?

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am now looking to order the Genos from Thomann.

Thomann is a well known and respected International company that also has representation in Madrid, Spain.

I respect them for their professionalism and dependability, and have done business with them many times.

One problem is that with Thomann the Genos is only available from the 19th of December.
A second problem is the price. Thomann asks 4499€ for the Genos.

Then one has to add another 5 to 7 days from the moment of payment till the day of delivery.

Then it will already be the Christmas season and everything will grind to a halt here.
There are already public holidays here starting tomorrow the 6th and lasting till Sunday the 10th.

Some people are already celebrating Christmas now, with drunken people staggering around the streets here.

My mechanic was talking in slurred speech, so I made a hasty retreat, saying that I'll come back in January.
And it's only the 5th of December.

I have to see my Dentist on the 14th, I hope that he will be sober.

My local dealer will sell the Genos for 3900€ but he is slippery as an Eel, and won't be pinned down.

From my encounter with him yesterday, I  didn't learn anything new, apart from being  told that it will be here "soon".

Even though their main branch had confirmed over the phone that it would arrive on the 4th of December.

This in an ongoing decision making process, I will keep updating here on new developments.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:54:26 PM by Pianoman »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »
Christmas parties usually begin here about the 1st of December and don't end until Christmas Day. Then, the pre-New Year and New Year's Eve parties kick in, which consumes about 4 days of non-stop partying. It's a busy month here for any aggressive OMB entertainer, and if you pursue it properly, you could easily perform 35 to 45 jobs during December alone. Yes, lots of doubles, and even a few triples. There is no busier month for OMB entertainers here.

Merry Christmas,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:14 AM »
Merry Christmas to you too Gary

On this Island it's pretty much the opposite.
It's more of a family affair for those who are here.  Many others go away from the Island to visit family on the mainland or family in the rest of Europe.

And others just go on a holiday. Thailand and other Asian countries are popular destinations at this time of the year.

The funny thing about Ibiza is that probably only 25% are locals. The rest are all from somewhere else.
Be it the Spanish mainland, Rest of Europe, The Americas, Africa, Asia, and even a few Australians.

Christmas day itself is very quiet here, you see deserted streets with hardly a car or people in sight.
I think it also partly has to do with the strict penalties on drinking and driving. You'll find Police control points at every important junction.

New year's eve is another matter. A performer could ask for anything between 900 and 1500 Euros for a gig.
It depends on the size and prestige of the establishment of course.
And it's a great night for Taxi drivers.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:32:38 AM by Pianoman »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 12:40:33 AM »
Same here for New Year's Eve. For the past two decades I was getting $1,500 US for a 4-hour NYE party, which made for a real nice payday. Sure was glad when January arrived, so things would get back to normal, just working 6 to 7 days a week and mostly 1 to 2 hour jobs, happy hours, etc... When Spring arrived, I cut my schedule back so I could spend more time with my family and sailing.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...