Author Topic: T5 + M-Audio SP-Triple Pedals  (Read 208 times)

Offline carl.waring

T5 + M-Audio SP-Triple Pedals
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:12:41 AM »
Hello all!

I have just purchased the above pedals and have found that they don't work with the T5 "out of the box". Has anyone else got a set and managed to get them working correctly?

1. Cannot assign each pedal individually. They all do the same thing; ie whatever it is I set one of them to do they all do.
2. Although most other functions seem to work, it won't do sustain *at all*. Setting it to sustain seems to act like a volume pedal! (And no, I don't want the volume function anyway!)
3. You say they use "momentary" switches but when change the function to "DSP variation", tapping the pedal switches the function on and then off. If it were 'momentary, would it not switch it on when pressed and off when released?

I have noticed that plugging just the one (correct) pedal into the 'sustain' socket works fine. Adding the other two seems to confuse the keyboard.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:14:36 AM by carl.waring »

Offline EileenL

Re: T5 + M-Audio SP-Triple Pedals
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 05:12:08 AM »
Never heard of these. I use the correct Yamaha pedals and they work as they should one tap to switch on and one tap to switch of.

Offline carl.waring

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:27:10 AM »

Offline emasters

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 09:40:46 AM »
I don't have one of these, but it looks like it should work.  Plug the three cables (one for each pedal, per the M-Audio spec), into each of the T5's pedal connectors on the back.  Go into the Function, Controller, Foot Pedal page, and set each pedal connection (on the back of the T5) for the appropriate function.  For example, left would be Soft, middle would be Sostenuto, and right would be Sustain (if you want it like a typical piano).  And make sure for EACH pedal, to set the Pedal Polarity +/- so it works correctly with your product (which the M-Audio spec indicates is Normally Open).  As I said, I don't have this so can't test it.  But that's how one would typically setup the pedals.  Good luck!

Offline carl.waring

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
Indeed. I thought so too. But it doesn't. Think it will have to go back :(

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
Hi Carl,

According to the M-audio website, the SP-Triple pedal unit has individual 'TS' plugs for each pedal, and are wired as 'NO' (Normally Open).

I have a Tyros4 with a Yamaha FC5 pedal, a single, momentary action pedal which is wired as 'NC' (normally closed).

For the FC5 to work correctly on my T4 for 'non toggled' functions such as sustain, the polarity must be set to '-ve'.  If set to '+ve' the pedal works opposite to what is required (eg. sustain is on when the pedal is not pressed, and turns off when the pedal is held down)!

The keyboard is supposed to detect the correct polarity when you turn it on (which is why they tell you not to touch the pedals when powering up), but I suggest that you try manually setting the polarity for all three pedal inputs to '+ve' (since the pedals are supposed to be wired opposite to the Yamaha FC5), then operate each pedal once to apply the new setting, then trying them to see if they operate the functions that you have assigned to them. 

My thoughts about this are based on that although the M-Audio pedal wiring splits into three separate plugs near the end, I wonder if one of the wires in the cable is common to all three pedals?  If so, then if the input polarities are set wrongly, or if the polarity of one is set differently to the others, this might be causing the problem.  :-\   For all I know, one terminal on all three keyboard inputs may be connected together internally anyway, in which case a common wire may not make any difference!

BTW, what you describe in 3. in your first post is normal operation.  Functions such as 'DSP VARIATION' and 'MODULATION (ALT)' do 'toggle with each press of the pedal.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline carl.waring

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
Hiya!

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried it with both polarities; doesn't help.

I may have another fiddle this weekend before sending them back.

PS. Love the username ;)

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
Carl,

Did you test it by plugging in all three connectors and then hit the quick acces button after which you tap let's say the left panel and check which pedal number is activated? After that try the same with another pedal and check if it is a different pedal number. If all react in the same way it seems to me that the Tyros sees them as only one pedal?

I have an old Roland switch pedal (from my G-600), a M-Audio sustain pedal and a Yamaha FC7 footcontroller hooked up to my T5 and they work just fine together and except for the FC7  of course haha cost a lot less then their Yamaha equivalents since I had them lying around anyway ;)

regards,
Peter

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline carl.waring

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »
Hi Peter.

Did you test it by plugging in all three connectors and then hit the quick access button after which you tap let's say the left panel and check which pedal number is activated? After that try the same with another pedal and check if it is a different pedal number. If all react in the same way it seems to me that the Tyros sees them as only one pedal?
I did but can't quite remember what happened but you may have a point. This could quite well be it. Again, I will check at the weekend.