Author Topic: Guitar strumming in Style???  (Read 9283 times)

Qiqone

Guitar strumming in Style???
« on: November 29, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
How you create guitar strumming when you do ''style from scracth''???

I'm not thinking of copying some track from another style where is some track with rhythm guitar that is close to what you want!!!

Thank you

Offline Dusan

Re: Guitar strumming in Style???
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »
Create natural Guitar struming in Style is impossible mision.
You simply can't create 8 or 16 struming beat wich could be
close to natural on Kayboard.So the simple solution is coppy from
ather Style's or create struming on DAW like Yamaha did...
Dušan

If you want to fly,you must first walk....

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »
Hi Qiqone --

Welcome to the forum!

Suggestion #1: Buy and use MIDI phrases that were recorded using a MIDI guitar controller. The MIDI phrase collections by Twiddly Bits have acoustic and electric guitar strum and picking patterns.

Suggestion #2: If you or a friend have and can play a MIDI guitar controller, then record strum and picking patterns. I have a You Rock guitar for this purpose. I can't play more than a few basic chords, but the You Rock has built-in open chord tunings.

Hope this helps -- pj

Qiqone

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
Thanks @Dusan and @pjd.

I guess is easier to find a guitar player then get exactly what I'm looking for!!!

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »
Hi Qiqone

I create a custom made song specific style just about every week and finding the correct Guitar Strum never has been an issue (the Drummer has been). You will need an extensive resource of Yamaha styles to sort through however. The collection I have a massed is comprised of every Style name Yamaha has included since 2001 in their Tyros, PSR and CVP models. Also I have added all 29 expansion packs that Yamaha gave away for their S950 keyboard (an amazing collection.)

Now the best and easiest way to begin your collection is to acquire them here:

http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

For a couple hundred examples of what you can create using your Yamaha styles, just click on my LIBRARY link below in my signature.  ;)
If you are not familiar with country music, you can go to YouTube and search for the song and compare it to the style I have created to cover the song. Also keep in mind all my recordings are "live play" as I never use a midi file to perform and sing any of my songs.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:25:46 PM by DrakeM »

Qiqone

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »
@ DrakeM thank you for infos.

I didn't know that the drummer is a problem :o. But however, is good to know.

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:46:16 AM »
Hi pj,
I have a Roland GR-55 guitar synth connected to my Stratocaster. If I was to record a midi of strums and picking etc would that have to be in a CMaj7 scale/key to match chord changes? I am happy to try but not sure how to go about it to get usable strums etc for the Genos.

Murray
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:07:06 PM by mcbrown »
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
Hi Murray --

Glad to hear that you're giving this a try!

Yep, you're right. The recorded notes must match the chord root and chord type (NTR/NTT).

Most folks use CMaj7 for the chord root and type.

Extra credit: It's OK to use a different root or type as long as the NTR/NTT info matches exactly.

Double extra credit: Guitar parts in many Yamaha styles don't worry about the chord shape (i.e., choosing notes to correspond to strings). They set the NTR to "Guitar" and let the guitar transposition tables work out the rest. Of course, this is an SFF2-only (SFF GE) feature.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline StuartR

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:22:25 PM »
Guitar parts in many Yamaha styles don't worry about the chord shape (i.e., choosing notes to correspond to strings). They set the NTR to "Guitar" and let the guitar transposition tables work out the rest. Of course, this is an SFF2-only (SFF GE) feature.

Hope this helps -- pj

Is it possible to live play a guitar voice in an existing style and get this auto-transposition to work in real time?

I'm guessing I'd have to pick a style that already has "Guitar" set up for transposition?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:25:12 PM by StuartR »

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »
Hi Stuart --

I saw your question in the other thread, too. re: Peter Baartman's comment.

I haven't heard of the note transposition table (NTT) being applied to the actual notes played in the LEFT hand. That would be pretty cool, so I'm certainly willing to be educated about it -- if it's possible. The NTT is applied only to style parts.

For live playing, it's arpeggios or bust. Multi Pads are another option.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline StuartR

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 03:20:54 PM »
Hi Stuart --

I saw your question in the other thread, too. re: Peter Baartman's comment.

I haven't heard of the note transposition table (NTT) being applied to the actual notes played in the LEFT hand. That would be pretty cool, so I'm certainly willing to be educated about it -- if it's possible. The NTT is applied only to style parts.

For live playing, it's arpeggios or bust. Multi Pads are another option.

Hope this helps -- pj

He made the comment of the cuff so to speak at a demo in the USA. He said that all you have to do is play and let us (Tyros 5) do the rest. Guess I need to find a preset style that contains a SFF2 guitar voice and enable it for left hand+ style play to see if this works.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 08:12:53 PM »
Hi,
To be honest this is all to clever for me. From my guitar days how can you emulate six, five or four string chords, strumming down or up plus hammer on's and pull off's not to mention string bending with the right hand whilst playing a chord with your left on a keyboard. I've seen a few Kontakt instrument demos on YouTube and it's way beyond me how it's done.
Oldden