Author Topic: Tyros 5 HD1  (Read 395 times)

Offline sooty8

Tyros 5 HD1
« on: November 21, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »
Can someone help me, I have a used Tyros 5 which has a lot of files on the HD1 folder, I have tried to access these folders with no luck.
Does this mean they are not usable, or have been cleared. If they have been cleared i might as well delete them.
Some of the folders have good content displayed, it would be a shame if i deleted the folders.

Thank You.

Steve

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Tyros 5 HD1
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »
Can someone help me, I have a used Tyros 5 which has a lot of files on the HD1 folder, I have tried to access these folders with no luck.
Does this mean they are not usable, or have been cleared. If they have been cleared i might as well delete them.
Some of the folders have good content displayed, it would be a shame if i deleted the folders.

What does "no luck" mean? If you were more specific about the problem, it would be easier to help you.

Remember, if you access them via the Style button, for example, only styles will be displayed.

What I would do is connect the keyboard to a computer (usb to host port), use usb storage mode (power on plus music finder button) then browse the drive on the computer. That will tell you what’s on the drive.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sooty8

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
Thank you Fred, most of the folders were empty.

Regards

Steve

Offline Stijn

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:08:25 AM »
Hello Steve,
What Fred means is that the Tyros system will only show files that correspond with the mode you are actually in. Meaning, if you are in Registration mode (you pressed the button J on the display), you will only find Registration files in the folders on your HD, User section or USB drives. If you pressed the A button on your display, Tyros will only display Midi files, because you are in Song mode.

This is why you find so many 'empty folders'. Those folders don't have any files to show of that particular mode you are in. It doesn't mean there are no files in it, there may be many!

If you want to explore your HD in detail, you can connect a laptop to your Tyros.  Personally I find it easier to take the HD out of the bay and hook it up to my PC. That's how I make my backup.
It's much easier this way to explore your Tyros HD, because your Windows explorer will show ALL file types that are in the folders.
Removing the HD is easy, here is how https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsrs7qwoikjaqly/Tyros%20HD.mp4?dl=0

Stijn
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:15:58 AM by Stijn »
One good thing about music; when it hits you, you feel no pain.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:31:32 AM »
Hi,

Fred and Stijn are correct. You probably have loads of files in these folders that you will not see on the Tyros display unless you select the right button. Best way to check for files is to hook up your computer to the Tyros and check with file explorer or a file manager.
I advice the USB storage mode Fred mentioned however to do that!

It's a little slower when making an actual  backup or copying many files but not that much if you consider taking out the disk will cost time as well. But more importantly:

The chances of defects are almost none existent doing it with the USB storage method whereas removing a harddisk from the Tyros can be risky. Especially if you are not used to these kind of things (static damage, broken cable to name a few of these risks).

regards
Peter 8)

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline sooty8

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:31:37 AM »
Thank you Peter and Stign for all your advice, jumping from a Tyros 2 to a 5 is not to bad as the lay out is similar, its whats under the bonnet I have got to learn.
Having said that, my S95O styles sound great through the Tyros system.
i have noticed that the piano sounds are quite strange, I will have to work on that, and some of the string sounds sound weak, but once I find my way around the keyboard it should be ok. I expected a massive jump in the change of keyboard, and that is what I have got.

Regards

Steve

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »
Hi Steve,

About those sounds....
There simply isn't a really nice piano sampled for T5. But that is the same for it's predecessors if not mistaken.

About the strings (and probably for all voices including the piano...)
The T1,T2,T3 and T4 were more or less ready to play when you took them out of the box and plugged them in. I never had any problems whatsoever when upgrading to a newer model. (only had T1, PSR S-910, T4) but when I upgraded from T4 to T5 I was pretty disappoited at first. I thought that all the sounds were of a little bit. The T5 is not a keyboard that is ready when you plug it in. You need to visit the mixing console :) Go to EQ and pick the proper one for you and then edit it. Start with the 4 bands equalizer and try a setting that more or less looks like a smiley. So low and high a bit up and the two in the middle a bit down. After that start fiddlin to finetune it. You will already have a much richer/fuller sound by now I bet. The DSP effects are important too. Much can be gained here when using these (the amplifiers are not only useful for guitars ;) ).

Or in short: The T5 is a keyboard that has a learning curve in that matter and you need to get used to it. Took me about a month or so before I started to realize how good it was and before I could actually hear the much nicer sounds.

good luck!
Peter 8)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:46:03 AM by XeeniX »

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline sooty8

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 02:32:22 AM »
Thank you Peter for the advice, when I listen  to the Tyros 5 string section on YouTube then I heard mine I thought I was doing something wrong.

Steve