Author Topic: Modulation  (Read 571 times)

Offline adrianed

Modulation
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:57:25 PM »
Hi Folks,

A small item that has been bothering me playing my T5

There is too much modulation on many of the voices, I think even some that would be better without modulation

The sounds are a bit like you might get from a an old bent gramophone record or a case of the speed varying little

The Modulation wheel is set minimum

Can this be altered in the settings, I would be very grateful for assistance with this problem

Adrian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:59:16 PM by adrianed »

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Modulation
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »
I don't know about the Tyros models, but I think that many voices on the PSR-E models have too much modulation (vibrato) for my tastes, and I've heard people make the same complaint about some of the voices on the MX synthesizers. As you've observed, this is with the modulation parameter turned all the way down, so there's no way to turn it down any lower. You may or may not be able to do something about it by editing the voice at the element level. Other than that, you can see if there's another voice of the same instrument type which doesn't have as much modulation built in. For instance, if I remember correctly the Sweet! voices seem to be especially likely to have a lot of modulation in them, so try choosing something else.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:52:01 AM »
Sometimes, you can make an adjustment using the Voice Set controller page.

It won't fix something that's really bad. In my opinion, for example, the theatre organ voices on the S770 have so much 'wobble' that they are unuseable.

Online jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »
The modulation on SA2 voices can be controlled - and even set to zero if required -  by setting the mod wheel forward.
John

Offline adrianed

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:47:08 PM »
Hi SeaGTGruff,

Thankyou for your input, I Haven't seen any reports from other players of T5 mentioning the Modulation as a problem

Several of the voices on my machine are disappointing with this effect

I need some technical help from others who could describe in detail how I can tune out some of this effect

Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
Thankyou DerekA

I have never tried to alter the basic sounds myself because I don't feel musically trained enough but I would try to change things a little with instructions from a more experienced Player who might have changed the workings of the T5 themselves

Adrian 

Offline adrianed

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
Hi John,

As I said in my post I have set the modulation wheel to minimum

Thanks John

Adrian

Online jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:13:42 AM »
Hi John,

As I said in my post I have set the modulation wheel to minimum

Thanks John

Adrian

Adrian,  with most voice types the residual vibrato is recorded into the sample and setting the wheel to minimum can't remove it as you have discovered. But SA2 voices are configured differently, if you move the mod. wheel and play with its position you will find much more control, including the ability to go down to actual zero if required.
John

Offline adrianed

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
Hi Roy,
I am still testing, I have been a bit busy over the last few days

But your comment about others not having the same trouble, I have not seen any either, perhaps its a problem with my machine but still hoping I can clear it myself

Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
Thanks John,

Still working on it

Adrian

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 06:57:11 PM »
if the situation is as prevalent as you describe, I do not understand why we do not see more complaints about it from other T5 owners.

I don't know how many voices Adrian meant when he said that "There is too much modulation on many of the voices," but I'm curious to know which voices in particular he's referring to, or at least a few examples. I'm visiting family for Thanksgiving and won't have access to my keyboards for a few more days, but I'll see if I can list some specific voices (MSB/LSB/PGM) from the PSR-Es. I think one of them was a flute voice-- Sweet! Flute?

The interesting thing is that I saw a young woman from Yamaha playing that very voice in a demo on YouTube and she made it sound good, which I attribute to the way she was playing combined with the fact that the modulation doesn't kick in immediately. As long as she played short notes there was no modulation, but when she held a note the modulation would kick in-- and it sounded okay. So it seems like that particular voice was intended to be played in a certain manner for best effect. And if you don't play it that way then it sounds like too much modulation for what you're trying to achieve.
Michael Rideout

Offline adrianed

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 07:36:51 PM »
Hi SeaGDGruff, Phew could do with a easier way to address you,

I am trying to work out a way to send in a specimen from the keyboard

Just give me a little while to work it out

Adrian

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 09:33:06 PM »
Hi SeaGDGruff, Phew could do with a easier way to address you,

Yeah, my screen name dates back to 1995 when I first went online and I've kept it ever since. You can of course call me "Mike" or "Michael," but if you want to use my screen name then some people shorten it to "Sea," although "Gruff" or "Gruffy" would work, too! :)

Don't sweat coming up with specific examples. After I get back home in a few days I'll see if I can nake a list of PSR-E443 voices that seem modulation-heavy to me, and then you can try the ones that are also on the Tyros5. For example, I don't see the Sweet! Flute voice in the Tyros5's Data List, but the Sweet! Panflute is there. And I'll see if I can find the post(s) from MX users who had asked whether there's any way to remove the modulation from certain voices, although from what I remember the MX voices are even more different as far as their MSB/LSB/PGM values.
Michael Rideout

Offline DerekA

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 05:05:01 AM »
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember feeling there was a difference between Sweet! flute on E443 and S770, with E443 being better. There's quite a lot of 'beating' on the S770 version, coming from the sample looping I suppose.

As I mentioned earlier, Theatre Organ was also better on E443.