Author Topic: usb  (Read 278 times)

Offline taff967

usb
« on: November 20, 2017, 04:55:41 AM »
hello I have a psr s770 keyboard is there a limit to how many styles I can put on the usb stick that the keyboard will allow.

Offline jtrue

Re: usb
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 07:31:35 AM »
The only limit on how many styles (or other files) you can put on a USB stick is the capacity of the stick, but there is a limit of 250 styles in a single folder.  If you expect to have a large number of styles on USB it would be wise to first plan out how your folders will be organized.  Some folks have folders named for letters of the alphabet ( A, B, C, etc.) , some for musical genres (Country, Swing, Rock, etc.). It's up to you how you place styles into folders so you can easily find what you want later.

Folders can contain sub-folders.  I'm not sure how many levels of sub-folders can be created but it's likely to be sufficient for any reasonable plan of organization.

Even though a folder can contain as many as 250 styles you may want to self-impose a lower limit to simplify navigating through each folder's contents.  My personal preference is to have no more than 40 styles in a single folder.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline taff967

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
thankyou I was thinking about 15 but now you have told me I can put a few more on each usb stick now. thanks david.

Offline jtrue

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
You're welcome.  Any recent model USB stick should have room for way more than "a few" style files.  Style files vary in size but, if we use 50KB as an average size, then 1GB of space on a USB stick could hold about 20,000 styles.  At that rate, only one USB stick is likely to be needed for anyone's style collection. (But remember to always have at least one backup stick containing copies of everything on the primary stick.)

j.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:57:24 AM by jtrue »
It don't mean a thing...

Offline taff967

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
thankyou I can put more on a usb stick rather keep changing them. thanks david

Offline jtrue

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 01:30:38 PM »
 If you are going to be using USB sticks frequently you have to be concerned about the USB port on the back of the keyboard. Constantly plugging the sticks into the port and removing them can cause damage that would be very expensive to repair (to say nothing of the inconvenience of having to reach around the back of the keyboard all the time). The solution is to get a short USB extension cable and plug one end into the rear USB port. Bring the other end around to the front of the keyboard so you can easily connect and remove USB sticks without having to reach around to the back of the keyboard. The cable can be left in place so there will be no wear on the rear USB port. All the wear will occur at the front end of the cable and if that connection fails you will only have to replace an inexpensive cable, not deal with an expensive repair of your keyboard. The one I use is here:

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/2ft-usb-2-0-extension-cable-a-male-right-angle-to-a-female.html

Be sure to buy a spare cable and, of course, always backup your USB sticks, too.

You placed your original question in the Forum board titled "Forum How To...", which is the place to find out how to use this web site.  It would be better to place questions about your particular keyboard in the board entitled "PSR-S970/S770/S670(SFF2)" and questions about USB sticks in the board entitled "File Storage: USB & hard drives, Floppy disks".  Exploring this web site will be very informative and we look forward to any tips and information you may be able to share in the future.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

The following users thanked this post: taff967

Offline taff967

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:47:27 AM »
thanks I will get one of those they looks good and better for me. thanks david.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 04:09:44 AM »
Even better, if you buy a USB hub (they are very cheap) you can plug 2 USB sticks in at once. They show up on the screen as USB1 and USB2.

I use USB1 as my 'main' one, and USB2 to transfer files to and from the PC. I can copy from USB2 to USB1 on the keyboard itself.
S770

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
The only limit on how many styles (or other files) you can put on a USB stick is the capacity of the stick, but there is a limit of 250 styles in a single folder.

Even though a folder can contain as many as 250 styles you may want to self-impose a lower limit to simplify navigating through each folder's contents.  My personal preference is to have no more than 40 styles in a single folder

Good advice, but the maximum number of 'files' in a folder is actually 500 for a PSR-S970/770.  This includes any other objects that would also be displayed on a file selection screen, so it includes any sub folders in the current folder, but it does not include the files within the sub folders!

In practice, access slows down somewhat if you fill folders to the maximum, so it is generally better to use a smaller notional limit. Around 400 does not slow things down noticeably, but remember that even this will need 40 pages in the selection screen to display everything!

So as jtrue says, you need to think of a system that works best for you now, before you get too many files (and registrations that use them) which would make changing things later on somewhat daunting!

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: taff967