Author Topic: Touch Screen Protector  (Read 12279 times)

Offline GrantB

Touch Screen Protector
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
Hi Folks,

Now I have my Genos and have been setting it up over the past couple of days, installing new firmware, registrations and making new Playlists.  I have been using the touch screen a lot. It does show my finger marks clearly after every session so I clean it with the same cleaner I use for my specs (dry). However, there are screen protectors available for Tablets, I-Pads, mobile phones etc.  So I would hope that some company will soon make a screen protector that will fit the Genos. Any ideas out there in music land?  :) :)

Cheers

Grant

Offline Keyboardister

Re: Touch Screen Protector
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
There are tones of 9" touchscreen protectors for tablets out there, the only question is...will a protector make the screen less responsive? (than it already is).
Genos

Offline Patt22

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:07:06 AM »
Bonjour

D'Après notre démonstrateur du Genos, il est possible de nettoyer l'écran avec un chiffon micro-fibre pendant qu'il est allumé, pendant le jeu, le tactile ne fonctionnent qu' avec le doigts. À vérifier !

Patrick

Hello, hello.

According to our Genos demonstrator, it is possible to clean the screen with a micro-fiber cloth while it is on, during the game, the touch screen only works with your fingers. Check it out!

Patrick
Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...

The following users thanked this post: GrantB

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
According to our Genos demonstrator, it is possible to clean the screen with a micro-fiber cloth while it is on, during the game, the touch screen only works with your fingers. Check it out!

Not true; It is a resistiv touch screen and needs pressure to function.
You can make selections with neather object, like a pen, a wooden stick, .. (non of this is recommanded).

It's not like an ipad's capacitiv screen. There you need a conductor to work (like fingers, special pen's, ...)

regards
Etienne

If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline soryt

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »
The screen of the Genos works fine with a "stylus pen" , works fine for text input .

Gr,
Soryt
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

DavidB

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:00:38 PM »
Have to say, sorry slightly off topic, but considering the dated, cheaper resistive technology I'm very impressed with how well the screen responds and works. Much better than the one I had on a CVP709. I can't honestly imagine a screen protector would work well though.

Offline GrantB

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »
Obviously I would not put on a screen protector on my Genos unless it was recommend by Yamaha and I do use a micro soft cloth to clean it.

Cheers

Grant

Offline Patt22

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
Oh, pardon ...

Mauvaise traduction,  l'écran réponds avec le doigts ... oui.  Mais pas au chiffon pour le nettoyage  pendant le jeu ! A vérifier ( je vous laisse traduire avec votre outil préféré  )

Patrick
Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...

Offline StuartR

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
Have to say, sorry slightly off topic, but considering the dated, cheaper resistive technology I'm very impressed with how well the screen responds and works. Much better than the one I had on a CVP709. I can't honestly imagine a screen protector would work well though.

I agree about how responsive it is. Much better than even the Yamaha Montage resistive screen.

Offline alans

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
Oh, pardon ...

Mauvaise traduction,  l'écran réponds avec le doigts ... oui.  Mais pas au chiffon pour le nettoyage  pendant le jeu ! A vérifier ( je vous laisse traduire avec votre outil préféré  )

Patrick

Please write in english,or with an english translation also
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Marcus

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »
Just a question, but I thought that the Tyros 5 screen was plastic and not glass, so I always kept the protective film on to protect from scratches and look better for trade in or sell.

I assume that the Genos touch screen is glass. Glass is super hard compared to plastic, resisting scratches. If it is glass, would it even need a screen protector?

Marcus

Offline zionip

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »

Please write in english,or with an english translation also

Hi alans,

I use Chrome browser.  If I cannot understand the foreign language, I just right click and select "Translate to English".  The Google translation is not perfect but gets the job done, very convenient. 

I have been browsing some discussion forums of Tyros / Genos in Germany using Chrome and found that a lot of them referenced links to this forum in some of their discussion topics.  Sometimes the members from other countries might have forgotten about the language because the browser makes it so easy to forget the language barrier.  I am glad that there are members from other countries here.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:15:32 PM by zionip »

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
These screens, like the ones on Smartphones, are tough and  designed to last for the entire lifetime of the Keyboard they're mounted on.

Unless you scratch them with a piece of broken glass or key them like they do with cars, there should be no problem.

I have a friend who left his T4 screen protector on for 6 years. He had to squint to be able to see through it after 6 years.
I didn't want to hurt his feelings by commenting,
but I had a titanic fight with myself to not comment, every time I saw him struggling to peer through his plastic film.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:21:12 PM by Pianoman »

Offline zionip

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
Just a question, but I thought that the Tyros 5 screen was plastic and not glass, so I always kept the protective film on to protect from scratches and look better for trade in or sell.

I assume that the Genos touch screen is glass. Glass is super hard compared to plastic, resisting scratches. If it is glass, would it even need a screen protector?

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I used to use screen protectors on my cell phones a long time ago.  However, I totally skipped them for several years because having screen protectors made the screen display much worse.  I found that the glass screens of my cell phones were fine without these screen protectors and did not show a scratch when they were traded in for new handset replacements.

I prefer the touch screen of my Genos to be 'naked', not 'protected'.

Paul

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
About resistiv and capacitiv touch screen s.

https://techexplainer.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/resistive-vs-capacitive-touchscreen/

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
About resistiv and capacitiv touch screen s.

https://techexplainer.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/resistive-vs-capacitive-touchscreen/

Regards
Etienne

Thanks Etienne for the URL.

The URL mentioned one disadvantage of resistive touch screen is "Poor contrast because of having additional reflections from extra layer of material placed over the screen".  A screen protector will probably further worsen the contrast.

Paul

Marcus

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »
These screens, like the ones on Smartphones, are tough and  designed to last for the entire lifetime of the Keyboard they're mounted on.

Unless you scratch them with a piece of broken glass or key them like they do with cars, there should be no problem.

I have a friend who left his T4 screen protector on for 6 years. He had to squint to be able to see through it after 6 years.
I didn't want to hurt his feelings by commenting,
but I had a titanic fight with myself to not comment, every time I saw him struggling to peer through his plastic film.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Yes, I agree keeping the protective screen film on my Tyros boards is pretty nerdy, but I am very meticulous with keeping my equipment pristine as possible. I won a nerd award in a past forum for keeping my plastic film on, as did a few other members. I jokingly placed the award on my old avatar photo that I used for years (see photo). The film on my Tyros 5 is still in great shape with no issue seeing the screen functions. A real plus when selling my Tyros boards to the next prospecting owner. I am also in the habit of pressing the buttons squarely as not to touch the paint and press the lower half of the larger lit buttons as not to fatigue the plastic hinged top portion. I certainly gave the navigation buttons a workout around the Tyros screen while editing or in creator functions.

Definitely agree that a film protector is not necessary on the Genos touch screen, since it is glass. Probably a good idea to occasionally vacuum out accumulated dirt or grit once in a while in that screen recess. Oddly, despite my meticulous nature with my equipment, finger prints don't bother me, but would occasionally clean the Genos touch screen as per Yamaha's recommendations.

Marcus   

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Yes, I agree keeping the protective screen film on my Tyros boards is pretty nerdy, but I am very meticulous with keeping my equipment pristine as possible. I won a nerd award in a past forum for keeping my plastic film on, as did a few other members. I jokingly placed the award on my old avatar photo that I used for years (see photo). The film on my Tyros 5 is still in great shape with no issue seeing the screen functions. A real plus when selling my Tyros boards to the next prospecting owner. I am also in the habit of pressing the buttons squarely as not to touch the paint and press the lower half of the larger lit buttons as not to fatigue the plastic hinged top portion. I certainly gave the navigation buttons a workout around the Tyros screen while editing or in creator functions.

Definitely agree that a film protector is not necessary on the Genos touch screen, since it is glass. Probably a good idea to occasionally vacuum out accumulated dirt or grit once in a while in that screen recess. Oddly, despite my meticulous nature with my equipment, finger prints don't bother me, but would occasionally clean the Genos touch screen as per Yamaha's recommendations.

Marcus   

Hi Marcus.

I was only referring to my friend. Not you.
He has eyesight problems and plays his keyboard under the hot sun in the summer here.
His screen protector is all shot and withered.

BTW: I hadn't read your post before throwing in my 2 cents.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:36:13 PM by Pianoman »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 08:36:05 PM »
Touch screen of Genos works very good, no lag... you don't have to punch the screen, you let the finger on it and the contact is raised... Works better than Korg's PA3X touch screen, because when I had this model I had to press on touch with nail, not with skin. So Genos's touch is very nice, I didn't thought I will like it so much.  :D

Regards.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Oxford1035

Offline alans

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 04:04:13 PM »
Hi all

Just read a post on Eileens forum about a Genos owner removing a plastic ""screen protector " or rather what  he thought was a screen protector.He said it was difficult to remove and now his touch screen does not operate.

New Genos owners PLEASE BE AWARE if your new Genos arrives with a thin plastic film over the screen (mine didn't ) please take care that it is not  part of the screen itself ,that  must not be removed !!

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 04:24:49 PM »
Genos dose not come with any protection so please don't not try to peel things of. My member thought his screen had a gap at the top so thought he would remove it as he thought it was a protective covering. It is not it is part of the screen.

keynote

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
The Genos already has a screen protector built in. If you notice on the screen if you lightly tap your finger on the screen you'll notice a little up and down movement i.e. a little 'give' of the screen protector itself which is there to protect the glass underneath. The movement is perceptible but you'll have to look closely to see it. Yamaha likely gave the Genos a screen protector so people would not mar the surface of the glass underneath which could end up being a costly repair if it were to be damaged. A person's fingertips have natural oils on them and it does leave a mark needless to say.  I clean my Genos screen with a product made in the U.K. called ECO + moist, which is a natural screen cleaner. You can buy it on Amazon here in the USA and I'm sure you can also find it on the U.K. Amazon website. It's quick drying and smear free. It also comes with a cleaning cloth and the nice thing is once you clean the screen it seems to protect the screen from accumulating additional fingerprint marks to a degree anyway. I came to my conclusion through observation noticing that the screen moved up and down slightly when you pressed the screen with your fingertip. If it was glass it would not move needless to say. That's how I determined there was already a screen protector in place on the Genos.

Mike

Offline zionip

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 09:48:49 PM »
Hi Mike,

The Genos built-in touchscreen is resistive, so the top layer of the screen is soft.  The soft feeling layer that you described may not be a screen protector, it may be part of the screen itself.  On the contrary, capacitive touchscreens are rigid, usually made of glass.

Thanks,
Paul

keynote

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 09:59:34 PM »
"A resistive touchscreen comprises of several layers, out of which the flexible plastic and glass layers are two important electrically resistive layers. The front surface of resistive touchscreen panel is a scratch-resistant plastic with coating of a conductive material (mostly Indium Tin Oxide, ITO), printed underside.

The second important layer is either made of glass or hard plastic and is also coated with ITO.

Both the layers face each other and are separated with a thin gap in between. An electrical resistance is created between both the layers in such a way that charge runs from top to bottom in one layer and side-to-side in another.

When a finger or stylus tip presses down on the outer surface, both the ITO films meet. It is the measure of the resistance of both the layers at point of contact, which leads to get an accurate measurement of the touch position. The accuracy also relies on the evenness of the coating of ITO on both the layers."

I think the information supports my conclusion Paul. The top layer is a scratch resistant 'plastic' with a coating of conductive material. The second layer is either made of glass or hard plastic which if damaged could end up being a costly repair I would imagine. So I think the top layer could be considered a screen protector in that it helps protect the glass or hard plastic underneath.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:01:48 PM by keynote »