Author Topic: Drum Setup 'forgets' edits  (Read 449 times)

Offline jsb1999

Drum Setup 'forgets' edits
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:03:15 PM »
I've run into this issue when assembling the new style I've attached to this post...
1. Press Main C
2. Load the style.
3. Listen to the Main C variation - the snare volume (Rhythm 2: Bb-0) has been reduced using Drum Setup and saved in this custom style.
4. Select and play the Main B variation.
5. Now play the Main C variation again.  The snare now plays at full volume, the style has forgotten the Drum Setup edit.
Bug?

The following users thanked this post: carson123mendes, bmarcill

Offline jsb1999

Re: Drum Setup 'forgets' edits
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »
The issue here is that Main A and Main B use the PopDrumKit and Main C and Main D use the RockDrumKit.
I assume that when Main C is selected after Main B, it reloads the RockDrumKit and
is not able to apply the Drum Setup edits which were originally applied as part of the style.
This implies that edits made using the Drum Setup tool are applied when the style is loaded and not available after that.
So, if you make a lot of Drum Setup edits, be sure your style never changes drum kits.

In this particular case, there is a workaround. I've created two versions of the style, one with my edits to the RockDrumKit,
and one with my edits to the PopDrumKit.
Then I use REGISTRATIONS, one for each Main variation: A-D. 
i.e. REG 1 selects Main A and specifies the style with the PopDrumKit edits.
REG 2 selects Main B and specifies the style with the PopDrumKit edits.
REG 3 selects Main C and specifies the style with the RockDrumKit edits.
REG 4 selects Main D and specifies the style with the RockDrumKit edits.
Now, I use REGs 1-4 as if they were the Main A-D buttons.

This causes the Genos to load a complete new style when the drum kit changes since the edits are only applied as part of the load process.

In one of the early demos from Germany, there was a mysterious reference to Registrations as the demonstrator was talking about the Drum Setup function.  This was confusing because Drum Setup edits can only be saved in a style, not in a registration.  Perhaps this kind of workaround was what he was referring to.

Of course, the real win here would be the ability to save our Drum Setup edits as a user drum kit,  as we could in the Tyros 4 with the Kit Edit function.
I have made this request through Tech Support - hoping for the best.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »
I tried (right now, when I'm writing) to switch some elements of a drum kit in a style. Seems it is happening the same thing. I change elements, I saved them in a new style (first time I do it in the same style, re-write) and after change variations, or I'm pressing on a Fill, all edits are gone. Style load with old settings. I asked my friend which is Yamaha demonstrator for Romania, and he told me I'm not doing correctly. But right now is a little bit occupied, and he could not talk to me. So I have to wait to see how Yamaha thinks, because I read the manual and I'm not doing nothing wrong :(

Ohhhh... Yamaha.... :(

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »
I managed myself the problem. Now is working.

It clearly if you have more than one Drum Kit on the style, this settings will not maintain, because it is clearly you change between them, and will load default values.

The settings will be saved even if you have this type of style, with more than one drum kit, but when you change between it will reset on real time playing.

Now, how it's work:
You have to select one drum kit for all parts of your style (mains, fills, intros, etc) or if you modify one part (a main for example) and you have another drum kit on another style part, don't switch in style creator to that style part, because that's will reset all your settings made before, because Style Creator will load another Drum Kit.

The purpose of Drum Setup I really think is not make continuous modifications to drums in keyboard, but to check what parameters you have to modify and what elements to switch in YEM for needed Custom Drum. When you finished the work in the keyboard, and all the things are good with your new "Custom" drum made in Drum Setup, go to YEM and recreate as a Custom Drum. Load it as a pack in your keyboard. Switch your modified drum from your style with newly Custom Drum created in Yem, and now you can have more drum kits on that style, if you want more for your different style parts, with no more reset when you change style parts :)

Regards.

PS: I'm going to sleep, it's 2:49 AM...  ::) :o
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:37:32 PM by valimaties »

Offline jsb1999

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »
Yes, Custom Drum Kits are definitely the solution to this issue.
Unfortunately, YEM 2.5 has locked out all the new Revo Drum Kits and the Drum Setup feature does not allow you to save your edits as a Custom Drum Kit.  Adding these features would really increase the usability of these great new drums.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:20:22 PM »
Yes, Custom Drum Kits are definitely the solution to this issue.
Unfortunately, YEM 2.5 has locked out all the new Revo Drum Kits and the Drum Setup feature does not allow you to save your edits as a Custom Drum Kit.  Adding these features would really increase the usability of these great new drums.

I think I'm the only I don't like Revo Drums?!  ;D ;D ;D
If they implement this function in YEM (wave cycling) and let user to make itself Custom Revo Drums, it is useful, else I cannot use them. Personally, I think it has a lot of reverb and the elements have a lot of decay, even the Kick. If I use something like this in a big room (a restaurant room, or wedding pavilion) it will double the decay, or triple it. Personally, almost all drums I use from Genos, I cut a lot of decay from the elements. And in this way the sound is more clear, the voices are not combining, you can hear every instrument that playing. This is the sound you must hear on your studio monitors, or headphones. When you go outside in big rooms, everything changes, and instruments start to combine itself. And if you have a lot of decay on them, imagine how it is the sound  :-\