Author Topic: Style editing confusion...  (Read 582 times)

Offline DavidB

Style editing confusion...
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »
I've not done a lot of editing on my Tyros before, but some of the styles I've moved to my Genos, need a little adjustment.

With the style loaded, I select it and then from the menu open the mixer and change say the drum kit on Rhythm 2. All seems to be well. I save the style, using the same name and overwriting it. Again all seems fine. However, when I switch the Genos off and on again, the style has reverted the original drum kit.

If I need to RTFM then just say, but I'm hoping I'm just missing a simple step.

Thank you.

Just don't mention Genos USB drive letter assignments :)

Online Jørgen

Re: Style editing confusion...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 02:09:48 AM »
Hi

Guess, you forgot to "Save"...  ;)

Guess, because I do not have a Genos...

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline DavidB

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:13:19 AM »
Thanks Jorgen,

As I said, I save the style...

Is there something else I should save?

Thanks,

Offline StuartR

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:22:06 AM »
Thanks Jorgen,

Thanks,

I presume you're saving the modified style in another place as I didn't think you could actually change preset styles. Otherwise you've got to save the registration that you're using the modified style in. At least that's my understanding of it all.

Offline DavidB

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:35:51 AM »
This is not a preset style. It is a custom style I have from my Tyros 4. This isn't 'yet' a question of registrations, I just want to change a drum kit. I've now tried saving the style with the same name and different name. It is being saved to USB1. It doesn't matter what name I give it, it is not saving the drum kit change I make in the mixer. Is there somewhere else I should be changing the drum kit?

Online Jørgen

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:06:16 AM »
Thanks Jorgen,

Thanks,

Sorry... My eyes must have been tired...  ;)

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline DavidB

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 03:09:46 AM »
Problem solved. As usual it was my own ignorance and inexperience.

I have now changed the drum kit by editing and saving the style using the style creator and it has saved correctly.

Clearly changing it in the mixer was only temporary.

I did by the way resort to reading the manual :)

Anyway, it might help someone else avoid the same confusion.

Offline gerard

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:11:54 AM »
I have changed the drum kit on some styles in the mixer.
What I did then is save it to a registration.

Gerard

Offline DavidB

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:37:44 AM »
Thanks Gerard. That may be a workaround, but it certainly isn't an intuitive or acceptable solution to my mind.

The mystery of my situation deepens... I have to admit to being more than a little confused...

1. I copied a registration bank and associated style from my Tyros 4. USB 1 to USB 1, drive I to drive I.

2. I first tried to change the drum kits in the style using the mixer style 1 tab. This works, but only until the keyboard is switched off.

3. I changed the drum kits in the style creator and this appeared to permanently change them in the style.... However, having switched off the keyboard, when I next turn it on and select the registration the drum kits have reverted to the original. However, if I select another style, then my style, the drum kits are as saved.

4. Thinking it might have something to do with registrations (which do not state they save style sections), I then went through the registration bank button by button saving them with the new style. I then saved the registration bank.

So now, I have a modified style and registrations saved with the modified style and the registration bank saved and yet when I turn the keyboard off then back on and select the registration the style has reverted to the original drums until I reselect the style.

I'm wondering as I'm typing this if it's confused because the same style does currently exist on 2 USB sticks both plugged in.

Off to try more, but this is very confusing.

Offline DavidB

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 05:04:03 AM »
I think I've solved it again.

Nothing to do with how many USB sticks are loaded or how many copies of the style on different drives coz the registrations only going to reference one.

I think I've seen this issue because I left the registration bank selected when I put the keyboard into standby. It's as if the original version of the bank was loaded into memory somewhere and so each time the keyboard powered on, this is what was loaded, not the modified saved version.

Very weird, but at least it's loading properly now.

Regards,

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »
When editing a style in style edit it is a good idea to add 2 to the title and then you will know you are saving the right style to your registration bank. Then you must select that registration bank and the edited style and resave it to all buttons and then resave the registration. Now it will work for you.

Offline DavidB

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 08:26:24 AM »
If I overwrite the style with the same name when saving it then it should also work without having to make any changes to the registration. The part assignments are not saved in the registration, just the reference to the style.

This does actually work providing you don't get caught up the mess I did whereby leaving the registration loaded it was somehow reverting to previous settings on restart. I may make a video of this because it is a little convoluted as bugs go.

The following users thanked this post: dragon