Author Topic: No Registrations From S970 Load  (Read 728 times)

Offline gerard

No Registrations From S970 Load
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:45:05 PM »
Good news, I got my Genos today!
Bad news, all my registrations from my s970 will noe work.
Every one i load, gives the error----- Can't Load Data Correctly.
I triad loading from underneath Genos USB slot and the USB slot on top of the Genos.
I even put my styles in both the USB and the USER area to no avail.
Any suggestions??

Gerard

Online zionip

Re: No Registrations From S970 Load
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »
Good news, I got my Genos today!
Bad news, all my registrations from my s970 will noe work.
Every one i load, gives the error----- Can't Load Data Correctly.
I triad loading from underneath Genos USB slot and the USB slot on top of the Genos.
I even put my styles in both the USB and the USER area to no avail.
Any suggestions??

Gerard

Hi Gerald,

Did your registrations refer to any associated voice and style expansion packs that the Genos does not have?

If you can attach 1 or 2 of your S970 registrations here, I can test loading it to figure what went wrong.

You are supposed to update your Genos firmware to 1.10 first, before doing any system setup / transfers:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/firm_genos.html

Paul
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:25:58 PM by zionip »

Online zionip

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
I saw the format of your registrations on another thread in this sub forum:

After The Lovin   1   Vocals   I:/VocalFoxtrot.T406.STY                    85   None           C   0   M: -5 S: -5 K: -5   I:/001-099/SongBook_007.mid
All Right Now   1   NewRegist   C:/STYLE/All Right Now T4.T096.STY   118   Intro III   A   0   M:  4 S:  4 K:  4   I:/001-099/SongBook_012.mid

I suspect that the "Can't Load Data Correctly." is probably caused by the so called disk paths for your styles and songs.

I can recommend the following as a debugging procedure:
1.  Copy a MIDI file to the USB stick to be installed underneath the Genos.
2.  Setup a registration using a built-in style & voice(s) on the Genos, then copy it to the USB stick.
3.  Connect the USB stick to your PC or Mac and see if the new format has any difference(s) compared to your S970 registrations, such as disk paths, record content etc.
4.  Then you may be able to observe which disk paths to use for your registrations to make them work on your Genos, and do some bulk editing of your registration files.

Paul

Offline gerard

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »
Hi Paul,
1. Reg did not refer to any expansion voices.
2. I attached 2 registrations.
3. I updated frimware before I did anything.

Gerard

The following users thanked this post: bmarcill

Online zionip

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »
Hi Paul,
1. Reg did not refer to any expansion voices.
2. I attached 2 registrations.
3. I updated frimware before I did anything.

Gerard

Hi Gerald,

How did you generate these 2 registration files?

I tried loading these 2 registration files to Murray's Yamaha Arranger Registrations Manager 5.0, with PSR S970 as the target keyboard, but both files failed loading and got the same error:

Processing Error
Send the problem registration to mbest8482@gmail.com for analysis.

Is it possible that your registration files are corrupt or in invalid format?  I strongly suspect that Genos cannot even read these files and so gave you the "Can't Load Data Correctly." error.

Paul

Offline gerard

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
I created reg files on the 970.
I did  printout of my regs from registration manager.
They play fine on the 970.
Then copied then to USB stick.
I loaded BAd Moon Rising into Registration manager just fine.
I have version 5.0

Gerard
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:34:51 PM by gerard »

Offline murrayb

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »
Gerard:

Try converting the registrations to Tyros 5, you'll get a few error messages on left voice where the style is missing (I need to fix the conversion program for this error message when the style is missing).  Usually PSR registrations can't be loaded on a Tyros level keyboard.

Murray 
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Online zionip

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
Hi Gerald,

Did you go through the "Playlist" button, then "New", "Add List" to load your PSR 970 registrations on to Genos?  How did you do it?

Genos sees your "Amy" and "Bad Moon Rising" registration files and accepted them to a new playlist.  But when loading any of them, I got "Data has not been loaded properly." error.  I was using USB2, or the front USB port.

I had no problem loading your "Amy" and "Bad Moon Rising" registration files on to S970.

Paul

Offline gerard

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »
Murray--
How do I convert?
In reg manager I can load the reg, it shows source keyboard as PSR S970 and target keyboard as Tyros 5.
Now how do I save it as Tyros 5 registration.

Paul-
I did not load through Playlist.
I just called up the registration.

Gerard

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »
I just downloaded the two registration banks from Gerard's post and they both load into my copy of Murray's 'Registration Manager' (Version 5.0.1) without any errors!

The first 'button' in each bank includes both the style and a MIDI song.  The others do not contain either of these groups.

The 'Bad Moon Rising.RGT'  looks for  'C:/STYLE/Bad_Moon T4.T096.STY', and 'I:/001-099/SongBook_025.mid'

The 'Amy.RGT' looks for an S970 Preset style ('FolkPop') and 'I:/001-099/SongBook_018.mid' for the song.

On previous Yamaha arrangers, 'C:' was the USER drive, and 'I:' was USB1.

Surely if the files/folders are available on the Genos, the regs' should work!

However I looked at a Genos registration from the Yamaha 'Bonus Set List' download in a Hex editor, and it is obvious that a Genos registration bank contains considerable differences to those from earlier models.

Has anyone actually managed to successfully load an 8 button registration bank from a previous Yamaha model into the Genos?

I suspect that it may be necessary to use the 'conversion' process described for the Genos to use reg. banks from previous models!

Regards

Ian

Offline gerard

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
Ian--
What is the conversion process?

Gerard

Online zionip

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 04:33:56 PM »

Paul-
I did not load through Playlist.
I just called up the registration.

Gerard

Hi Gerald,

I confirm that on Genos, when pressing the registration on-screen button on the top of the Home screen to select "User" registrations, the S970 registration files that you attached in this discussion thread were given "Data has not been loaded properly." error messages when they were being loaded.

Sorry I was not able to find a solution for you yet, but it is a very good learning experience for me.

Paul

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
Hi Gerard,

Actually I was thinking of the Music finder to Play List conversion, which is not what you want to do, so sorry about that!

I see that the Genos 'EASY PRODUCT GUIDE & QUICK UPGRADE GUIDE' says on page 25:

Compatibility of Registration Memory files

Many existing users of Tyros keyboards have amassed huge amounts of Registration
Memory data. With this in mind, Genos is compatible with Registration data from many
former models.

I don't know if 'many former models' is supposed to mean PSR's as well as Tyros! Yamaha are somewhat prone to making ambiguous statements such as this!

It would be very useful if anyone with a Genos can confirm that they have successfully loaded registration banks from previous models into Genos!

In the USA, I believe that this time of year is somewhat risky for turkeys?  I really do hope that Genos doesn't turn out to be one!

I really like my Tyros4, but have been patiently waiting to replace it with the new offering, after the disappointment (to me at least) of the T5.  So I was hoping for a 'new broom' from Yamaha.  Whilst I can see some half-hearted attempts to appeal to users, there are still so many basic things that are effectively the same as previous Tyros models (voice glitches on changing registrations/OTS), 128 note polyphony (for internal voices), primitive OS that doesn't even allow a basic search function for all types of files), I am not convinced at the moment that Genos offers enough of an 'upgrade' to previous models for me.  Sure the sound may be better, but since I only play at home for myself, this is not as much a priority to me as solving the more basic issues with the OS.  Yamaha seem to be taking a leaf out of Microsoft's book here by releasing new products without ever fixing the problems with previous ones!  It appears that they have produced and used in the Genos, new tone generator LSIs, but deliberately not used all the potential of them, presumably they intend them to be the basis of their keyboards for another decade, and are only 'drip feeding' customers with a little extra of their functionality  with each new model!

So I will wait for the dust (and possibly feathers  ::)) to settle before even looking at a Genos!

Regards

Ian

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:30 PM »
Ian,

I believe the manual is stating that registrations from many models of the Tyros series will load into the Genos. 

So... as Murray suggests, converting S970 registrations to T5... will work.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:15:23 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
Hi JoeH,

You are probably correct about this, but the Genos registration bank files (or at least those included as part of the Genos Bonus Playlist download) are certainly quite different to earlier ones, even from Tyros models!

It would be interesting if some one could make an original registration bank on the Genos and post it here.   ;)

Regards

Ian

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 06:30:57 PM »
Since there are 10 registrations in a bank and new parameters (Live Control and Arpeggiator) I think Murray has his work cut out for him!

;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
Well, I would have used this emoji for that   :'(

But isn't it typical puerile of Yamaha to only allow Tyros registration banks to be read by Genos!  Especially when as a company they don't provide any useful functions for reading/troubleshooting/converting registration banks, either in the keyboard, or via external software!

I say all hail to Murray! 

Regards

Ian

Offline gerard

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »
I give up.
I am making all new registrations.
Only 400 to go. lol

Gerard

Online zionip

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »
I give up.
I am making all new registrations.
Only 400 to go. lol

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Sorry I am too late to find the solution for you.

I was able to patch YRM 5.0.0 to 5.0.3.  YRM 5.0.0 failed to load your S970 registration files, but YRM 5.0.3 loaded them successfully.  I was able to convert your S970 registration files to Tyros 5-76 registration files.  These Tyros 5-76 registration files were then loaded successfully on Genos.

See the following photo, the original AMY.RGT on the left, and the Tyros 5-76 version AMY_T5.S917.RGT using 2 sessions of YRM 5.0.3:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KdWM1r9SvOExbrcj1

I attached the converted registration files so you can test loading them on Genos and see if they actually work on Genos.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:11:21 PM by zionip »

Offline gerard

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
Thanks Paul.
How do I get patch 5.0.3?
Then how do I convert it to tyros 5?
My source keyboard is PSR S970 and can't change it to tyros 5.
And I am going to bed now, I have Genositis....lol

Gerard

Online zionip

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 09:11:52 PM »
Thanks Paul.
How do I get patch 5.0.3?
Then how do I convert it to tyros 5?
My source keyboard is PSR S970 and can't change it to tyros 5.
And I am going to bed now, I have Genositis....lol

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Have a good night sleep.  Everything will be better tomorrow.

"How do I get patch 5.0.3?"
Get the following zip file from Google Drive page, unzip it and copy them to the installation directory of your current version of YRM 5.0.x, replacing the original 2 files with the same names.  The installation directory of YRM, in my case, is C:\Program Files (x86)\MBestSoft\RegManager5\:
http://www.bitly.com/YRM500Package

Please note that in order to download the zip file, you need to click on the download icon (the 3rd icon from the right, with an arrow pointing down to a flat surface, on the top right hand corner of the Google Drive page.

"Then how do I convert it to tyros 5?"
To convert your S970 registration files to Tyros 5 76 registration files:
1.  Invoke YEM 5.0.3.
2.  Click top left cyan color button "Load Registration Bank" to load your S970 registration file.
3.  Click the yellow button "Change" on middle right to change Target Keyboard to "Tyros 5 - 76" from the list.
4.  Click the green button "Save/Convert Registration Bank", 3rd buttons below the cyan "Load Registration Bank" button.
5.  Pick your choice for "Style, Left Voice Split" from "Don't Change", "Note C1", or "Other Note".
6.  Pick your choice for "Custom Styles, Multipad and Song" from "Don't Change", "Internal HD-E:", "USB 1-I:", or "USB 2-J:".
7.  Choose whether you want "Real Time Missing Item Substitution" or not.
8.  Click the grey button "Convert Bank".
9.  If you chose "Real Time Missing Item Substitution" in step 7, then a pop up menu may appear, prompting you "Substitute Item" details.  You can play with this to fine tune the voices, or you can just not select "Real Time Missing Item Substitution" in step 7 and see how it goes.
10.  Click the green button "Save Conversion" on the subsequent screen.
11.  You can name you newly converted registration file for Tyros 5 -76, and store it in your preferred storage location.

I figured the above procedure because of the intuitive user interface of YRM, thanks to Murray's thoughtful UI design.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:13:28 PM by zionip »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 03:26:19 AM »
You never have been able to load registrations from the S Series into any flag ship model. You have to convert first. I have Genos and a 970. When I had my Tyros 5 I could load Tyros 5 registrations into my 970 but not the other way round.

Offline gerard

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 04:08:09 AM »
Good morning everyone!
Paul, you are very helpful.
I can see what it will take to convert the s970 registrations.
Because I would have to convert all my registrations to Tyros 5-76. it will be time consuming.
I did a printout from registration manager of all my registrations.
So I know what style I used, Intro, Variation, tempo, transpose, etc.
I think it will be quicker creating a registration from scratch, than converting each one.
I even did a printout sorted by style, so that once I make a registration for a song that uses that style, I can easily create all the other songs that use that style.

Gerard

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 04:23:35 AM »
Good morning everyone!
Paul, you are very helpful.
I can see what it will take to convert the s970 registrations.
Because I would have to convert all my registrations to Tyros 5-76. it will be time consuming.
I did a printout from registration manager of all my registrations.
So I know what style I used, Intro, Variation, tempo, transpose, etc.
I think it will be quicker creating a registration from scratch, than converting each one.
I even did a printout sorted by style, so that once I make a registration for a song that uses that style, I can easily create all the other songs that use that style.

Gerard,

Use Murray's program to convert all your registrations in one batch. Piece of cake.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline gerard

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 04:28:25 AM »
Fred,
That would be great!
How do I convert all of them in one batch?
I found it.
There are missing sounds on most of the registrations and you  have to select a substitute for each one which is very time consuming.
I think it will be faster to create registration from scratch from my printout.

Gerard
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:38:49 AM by gerard »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 04:55:17 AM »
You never have been able to load registrations from the S Series into any flag ship model. You have to convert first. I have Genos and a 970. When I had my Tyros 5 I could load Tyros 5 registrations into my 970 but not the other way round.

Eileen,

that's exactly my observation. I bought a pack "CMS B3 Hammand for Tyros 5" and the registrations worked well on S970 (of course without voice right 3).

I would have expected that S970 regs should load on Genos. But when this does not work, I will have to learn how to convert.

Uli
Yamaha Genos (finally)
Nord Electro 5D