Author Topic: The Demo at DACAPO  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Mark Z.

The Demo at DACAPO
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:32:30 AM »
Yesterday I was at the Demo of the Genos in the shop of DACAPO ( Leek , The Netherlands  )
Sander Tournier did a very good job .

Today I got my Genos from DACAPO ( ordered already end of April ) .
My first impressions are very good , favorite to me is the new Revo Brushes Drumset .

On Dec. 17 there will be another Demo with Peter Baartmans .

MarkZ.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:34:20 AM by Mark Z. »

The following users thanked this post: Joe H

Re: The Demo at DACAPO
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »
Congrats Mark.

Would love to see Baartmans demo the Genos.
Not sure he is going to do any UK dates but maybe I will be in The Netherlands around Dec 17 anyway.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
Enjoy your new keyboard, Mark ! :)

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Mark Z.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 02:12:22 AM »
Thanks .
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:13:36 AM by Mark Z. »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
Hi Mark

I have been to the Banbury demo today here In the uk.
Great show and the quality very impressive with those Yamaha speakers on the stage.
The Genos is a done deal with the Tyros tipsters for me.
The Genos speakers are too toppy and squeaky with boom boom, the same as the Tyros 5.
The guy from the tipsters recommended a pair of Yamaha self actives to get that well rounded sound instead of Yamaha HS8's a they are more flat and mean't for mixing.

The self actives would be a £1000 for the pair.
If you take off the price of the Genos speakers £300 ,it leaves £700 and if you change to Genos 2,3,4 or even 5,it would cost that in part echanges over the range..

What are your thoughts about that or is that overkill??

All the best
John  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:04:38 AM by ugawoga »

Offline DavidB

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
Sorry, what are Yamaha Self Actives?

Can you provide a model number?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:44:36 PM by DavidB »
Just don't mention Genos USB drive letter assignments :)

Offline DavidB

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »
DBR 12's
They are self active Yamaha pa speakers with amp inside each speaker

Monitors for mixing.
For sound pleasure ,i am still racking my brains out for which would give that well rounded hi-fi sound that would compliment the Genos

All the best
john

I would have thought them to be complete overkill for a home environment. They're designed as 1000W PA speakers, and while I appreciate you can turn the volume down, they won't be operating at optimal efficiency etc.

I share your pain with the speakers which is why I asked, but I don't see these as a viable solution for home use and I have a Stagepas 300 for when I want to play away :)

Offline DavidB

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:53:49 PM »
At some point in the nearish future I'm planning a trip to Yamaha London to buy the right speakers. As they have them all in stock, and will of course have a Genos, I believe it should be possible to try different combinations.

I'm disappointed to read you were disappointed with the Genos speakers. Of course it's possible they were not optimally configured.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 02:02:40 AM »
Hi to all

I have now got my head around Monitor speakers
They are Flat sounding for the purpose of hearing a true representatation of your instrument without different manufactures adjustments that personalize their speaker systems.
If I had say Hs8's for mixing ,they would do that jobby.
If I now adjust the EQ on the Genos to my liking and save that setting for pleasurable listening, that would now sound like the hi-fi speakers I am used to. Am I right with this assumption??

Someone at the Demo was hinting at pa speakers for listening at home, not for mixing.
These would blast the room out as I found out what wattage these pump out and I would not drive the cones sufficient enough to get the quality out of them.
All the best
John
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:05:26 AM by ugawoga »

Offline maartenb

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 05:54:47 AM »
Am I right with this assumption??

Yes.

By the way, I noticed the Genos has a different sound than the Tyros5 with regards to frequencies. There's more deep bass in the styles.

If you have the budget, I strongly recommend going for the HS8 instead of the HS7 for more "oomph". If money is no obstacle, get the subwoofer HS8s as well!  8)

Maarten

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:03:39 AM »
Last thing Maarten.
I know I have been harping on a little about this , but using a little more EQ on the Hs8's ,would that give me that hi-fi sound that I am looking for as you have Hs7 which must be somewhere near the Hs8  and Make a setting for pleasure listening and back to flat for mixing. I think that a Hs8 sub bass speaker would be overkill from what I have heard from the Hs8. For me I want a all round equal sound  with nice bass  and not earth shaking Bass
My room is 10 Feet by 10 feet
If that Is the case I will get on to the Tyros tipsters to add them to my Genos and delete the Genos set.

Decisions,decisions!! ::)   I just do not want a toppy or boxy sounding pair, just want what I hear at these demos. Nice and clear all over the spectrum.
I do not want Those Genos speakers Maarten as they sound awful to me

All the best
John
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:12:37 AM by ugawoga »

Offline maartenb

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »
using a little more EQ on the Hs8's ,would that give me that hi-fi sound that I am looking for
You are the only one to judge speakers to give what you are looking for.  ;)

"HiFi sound" is a distortion of the sound, that is perceived as pleasant. It's the same with vinyl records: they distort the sound and some people call that "warm".

I never strive for HiFi sound: the flatter the frequency response, the better. My monitors and headphones are bought for their flat response, therefore as little colouring as possible.

Having said that, I have upped the bass and treble in my car a bit, but that is to compensate for the lousy speakers that are in there.

as you have Hs7 which must be somewhere near the Hs8

This is NOT the case, John!! That's why I posted above my advise to go for the HS8 and NOT the HS7! There is a quite noticeable difference.

The HS8 will give you the sound you are probably looking for. You'll probably find you don't need to EQ these monitors, or maybe just a tad. You can leave the sub, true. But I think the HS7 will be too "thin" for you. Remember: the HS7 is actually HS6.5, which is the diameter of the cone. Since it's a circle, the difference in cone surface area is ... (math... pi * r^2...) ... substantial.

It would be great if you could do a side-by-side comparison of the two.

Hope this helps,

Maarten

P.S. Sorry for being off-topic.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:57:43 AM by maartenb »

Offline Del 123

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:59:54 PM »

When I purchased my Genos I had the Genos speaker set along with the deal. The deal was really very good! Slightly over £2000 after exchanging my Tyros 5with the music shop .. nothing to lose.

However I use a pair of HS5 monitors along with a HS8 woofer. My room is also 10 x 10 foot square. The sound too me isnít flat at all ..the whole room feels completely rich with the sound fields.  I guess I also have to option to hook up the Genos speakers to use as Ďadd onsí additional to the HS5 monitors at the same time if I choose.

The Genos speaker set will of course give me a  better part exchange deal when  trade my Genos another future model.

Sorry for being off topic

Regards
Darren
Tyros 5 & HS5ís/HS8s Sub

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 03:46:54 AM »
Well John
  My music room is about 10 by10 and I am loving the sound from the new Genos speakers. I do have some Yamaha studio monitor speakers and my husband has now pinched them.