Author Topic: The Perfect Keyboard  (Read 511 times)

Offline guitpic1

The Perfect Keyboard
« on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:56 PM »
What if a keyboard existed, the only thing to be changed out was the center console?

That means whether a keyboard was 88 Keys, 76 Keys or 61 Keys; sliders, buttons and keys(other hardware) would remain the same.  After all, how often do these components wear out?

The Center console would have the latest software, viewing screen(size or touch) and updates.  The center console could be changed out periodically for the latest sounds, styles, connectivity, screen size and what have you.

Thoughts?
guitpic1

PA 4X, S970, DGX650, JBL Eon One, SSV.3

Offline vbdx66

Re: The Perfect Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:50:32 AM »
Hello Guipic,

You are probably right but it is to be seen how practical such a concept would be.

When I see all the fuss about the Genos and how the Tyros 5, which is a very fine instrument, is due to slowly become old news, I find this is a pity.

It would be nice to have a top-notch hardware computer which could be upgraded software-wise for at least five to 10 years. I find it is not acceptable that such higher-end musical instruments are becoming obsolete after three mere years.

What, if a car or a washing-machine were obsolete after three years, we would probably face consumer riots in the streets...

The problem is that companies such as Yamaha need to make money, and if they produced an easily upgradable system, they would transform themselves into software sellers like Microsoft and they probably would not earn as much money.

Just my 2 cents,

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline Bachus

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:30:04 AM »
What if a keyboard existed, the only thing to be changed out was the center console?

That means whether a keyboard was 88 Keys, 76 Keys or 61 Keys; sliders, buttons and keys(other hardware) would remain the same.  After all, how often do these components wear out?

The Center console would have the latest software, viewing screen(size or touch) and updates.  The center console could be changed out periodically for the latest sounds, styles, connectivity, screen size and what have you.

Thoughts?

I dont think it works that way...

A keyboard evolves, gets nee tools and with new tools different needs for controlls are born..

If you create such a keyboard, the static nature of the interface will prevent a lot of growth, and the addition of new features.

But having a software upgradable instrument does make sense, if you want to lengthen the live of the hardware...  this is what Wersi has been doing for almost 2 decades now.

But another question, would you be willing to pay for major upgrades on a yearly base... or would you prefer a more modular appraoch where new features and content are added to a keyboard, and you only pay for what you want/need?
Keyszone.boards.net for all the latest keyboard news and information.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 03:34:36 AM »
Agreed re. the Wersi way of doing things.

would you prefer a more modular appraoch where new features and content are added to a keyboard, and you only pay for what you want/need?

I've been thinking just this literally for years, but I always come to the conclusion that the costing / pricing of such an approach would be a headache and a nightmare combined in order to turn in a respectable margin for the upgrade-able hardware modules, just from a manufacturing standpoint. Any project like this would need to be highly focus-group oriented, in order to find out what customers really want, taking into account changing musical tastes. Even then only majorities would be catered for, the niche 'requests' would have to be more or less ignored as they would be cost-prohibitive.

But yeah, I've always liked the idea of a modular approach so that you pay for only what you want. Again, Wersi and Bohm were kind of pioneers of this with their respective module-based organ kits back in the 70's & 80's. But even they moved away from this on to ready-built instruments with all the bells and whistles.

For the sake of discussion, back when the T5 was launched I imagined a highly-stripped down version of it with just Organ World and the styles, which would have been sold "at a fraction of the price" with everything else available as software / firmware upgrades, charged at a premium.

Keyboards: Tyros 3, Roland E-70.

Organs: Yamaha HS8, Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S.

Offline DavidB

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 05:21:44 AM »
Wersi offer upgrades for some of their older organs that require a lot of hardware, specifically the console and screen to be changed.

I appreciate not everyone will speak German or might not understand it, but even watching the process is quite fascinating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY9Xra-5DAY

Regards,
Just don't mention Genos USB drive letter assignments :)

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 06:06:48 AM »
Yamaha offer an upgrade kit for the Electone ELS-01 organs: the STAGEA Vitalize Unit ELSU-V02.

https://sg.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/electone/elsu-v02/index.html
https://sg.yamaha.com/files/download/brochure/0/1028790/vitalize_unit_leaflet_en.pdf

It's not cheap, but it probably keeps a mess of electronics and other parts out of a landfill.

All the best -- pj

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »
^^ . . . but it's only available in Singapore!  :-\
Keyboards: Tyros 3, Roland E-70.

Organs: Yamaha HS8, Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S.