Author Topic: Keyboard Terminology  (Read 429 times)

Offline jm

Keyboard Terminology
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »
Hi Joe and  Moderaters,
I really would like to see a Keyboard Terminology Guide!  and an explanation of & their uses.
I know all of you and the majority of Forum members are well established and
Knowledgeable musicians, however for people like myself, it is almost like
reading a foreign language  when reading posts using terminology such as
"Sidechain Compression",  "LSB" , "DSP" ? The list goes on, I think it would
be so helpful to those of us lacking experience and expertise.
Love this forum and would be lost without it!
So Thankyou all! and especially Joe!!
Have a great day.
Kind regards
jm

Late Learner! Not blessed with any musical ability!☹️ But love music!  I use headphones so as not offend my husband or anyone else 😂Tyros 3 now Tyros 5.

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Keyboard Terminology
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »
Hi Janton,

Point well taken.  I owned my own business for almost 50 years.  I had a rule, in our written company standards of practice, that no one would issue any correspondence to a client, or potential client, using an acronym, without an explanation following the acronym, in parentheses, the very first time it was used.  That was a hard and fast rule for all letters and drawings (technical drawings) that we issued to our clients.  For example, not that these were used on our business; LOL (Laugh Out Loud) & IMO (In my opinion).  After explaining the acronym the first time, the acronym could then be used again without the need for further explanation or definition.

Personally, I carried this one step further and never used acronyms in business correspondence.  I only used acronyms on our engineering drawings and there was always a full explanation for each one as shown on the drawing's legend.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline pmedina

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
Good post JM. I think that a brief explanation of some terms will be useful to many of us.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
JM
Good point and thanks for the post.

Just as an additional suggestion . . . . Google/YouTube . . . . is a good way to learn what the acronyms mean.   

I agree with Roger and it would be a good practice to spell the acronyms the first time.  However, in practice i think it will be difficult.   There are too many people on this board and sooner or later someone will use acronyms.

For me, when i do not know or understand something I go to good old reliable Google to help me . . . . .

thanks and have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline jm

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 04:46:59 AM »
Many thanks Roger, PMedina, & Al for your positive feedback ;)
I applauded you Roger for having such a good business sense & practice!
I do use YouTube and Google quite a bit and my Grandchildren keep me relatively well informed
With acronym's such as LOL (lots of love) :D, and most of the others I can figure out.
I think where the difficulty arises is when reading posts where people are explaining
how to perform certain tasks, such as in the mixing console. I do play around quite a bit
with these features but I really haven't got a clue what or why I am doing it to achieve
the result that I want >:( I get there eventually, but I think if I (we) had a better understanding
regarding what (for example) DSP's meant (Digital Signal Processing? Not sure if that's right?)
and what their uses are, I think a lot people would find that a useful resource to print and refer back to.
Hope I haven't worn you all out with my waffling ;)
Have great day!
jm
Late Learner! Not blessed with any musical ability!☹️ But love music!  I use headphones so as not offend my husband or anyone else 😂Tyros 3 now Tyros 5.