Author Topic: Playable access to your GM/GM2/XG voices  (Read 604 times)

Offline FluxRyan123

Playable access to your GM/GM2/XG voices
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
I have a Genos and a PSR S970.  I don't use these keyboards for the styles.  I have a band so I use them for their tonal quality and live performance versatility.  And after my Genos arrived last week I decided to re-work all of my registrations rather than port them over.   Anyway, I noticed that the Genos does not allow you to physically play the GM, XG, and GM2 voices - they are only available for playback in the styles. 

Now I actually did use some of these voices in the past. While they are basically lower quality, sometimes that is what is needed - and with the addition of DSP (and the amazing new DSP in the Genos, you can still get some pretty great sounds out of them.) But the Genos doesn't allow that.  So we found a workaround with the help of George Kaye (from Kayes Music Scene in SoCal and his buddy from Yamaha Haratch).  This may be 'duh' to some of you, but it was amazing to me...

1) If you have a Tyros or a PSR series board, pop in a flash drive.

2) Find your GM/XG/GM2 voice library.

3) Copy whichever voices you want to port to the Genos into a new folder on your flashdrive.

4) Put the flashdrive in your Genos and copy the voices into the user voices.

Voila!  You'll have playable access to those voices!

Enjoy.

The following users thanked this post: jm, maartenb

Offline EileenL

Re: Playable access to your GM/GM2/XG voices
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 03:13:05 AM »
You will find these voices along with the Legacy voices. I believe they are on page two of the voice folders.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 04:00:54 AM »
Isn't it the case that when you copy the voice file over from Tyros to Genos, Genos will substitute a wave sample that it has in place of the 'XG' version?

So although the voices have the same names, they will be using a Genos wave rather than an XG wave?
S770

Offline voodoo

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:26:07 AM »
Isn't it the case that when you copy the voice file over from Tyros to Genos, Genos will substitute a wave sample that it has in place of the 'XG' version?

So although the voices have the same names, they will be using a Genos wave rather than an XG wave?

Yes, exactly this will happen.

And this seems to be the strategy: Instead of offering XG voices directly, Genos uses a substitution table which first level voices should be used for song play.

And this has a great advantage. Normal XG voices do not have any DSP insert effects (as fas as i know), because thy could not be used for song play. But know, the Genos has 20 insert DSPs reserved for panel voices and song play. Thus, using the first level voices together with their highly optimized DSP settings will improve the song play very much, as compared to using low level XG voices without DSPs.

Uli
Yamaha Genos (finally)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
Hello,

But what about the existing midi-files that uses XG voices ?
For example I have a midi file with XG voices (MSB/LSB/PC) 000/000/PC.
What voice will be selected by the Genos if I send the midi file from PC to the Genos ?
The procedure to copy to the user voices is correct for playing the voices,
but they do not have a number MSB/LSB/PC and cannot be selected for playing from PC to Genos .
Is this correct ?
I do not own a Genos, so I cannot try it out.

Regards
Etienne
Life is like a piano.
The white keys represent happiness, and the black show sadness.
But as you go through life's journey, remember that the black keys also create music.

Offline FluxRyan123

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
From my tests midi files that use XG work just fine and as you'd expect.  All midi files work just fine and sound great on the Genos.

My dilemma came from the need to still have 'midi' voices available to use in my live performances.  Tyros and the PSR's allowed you to play these voices, add DSP, and save them in your registrations. But for some reason that function was deprecated in the Genos.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 10:45:05 PM »
What do you mean with "midi voices"?
Yamaha Genos (finally)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »
What do you mean with "midi voices"?

I'm guessing he meant "General MIDI" voices.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443