Author Topic: Can't figure this out with my S950 registrations  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Geria

Can't figure this out with my S950 registrations
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:25:38 PM »
Suddenly I have the following problem with my PSR S950 registrations:

1. I select 5 registrations (5 songs, each with 8 buttons) to play
2. First selection: No problem
3. When I select another registration, the first button I push plays the style of the previous one, but when I push another button in the same registration it plays the style selected for that registration
4, I select at random another registration and again the first button (any button in a series of 8) will again play the style of the previous registration.

Tried turning off the KB, wait and turn it back on: same problem. I can't figure this thing out. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Gerry

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Can't figure this out with my S950 registrations
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 02:27:28 AM »
Suddenly I have the following problem with my PSR S950 registrations:

1. I select 5 registrations (5 songs, each with 8 buttons) to play
2. First selection: No problem
3. When I select another registration, the first button I push plays the style of the previous one, but when I push another button in the same registration it plays the style selected for that registration
4, I select at random another registration and again the first button (any button in a series of 8) will again play the style of the previous registration.

Tried turning off the KB, wait and turn it back on: same problem. I can't figure this thing out. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Gerry

Post your registration so we can take a look at it.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Geria

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
Thanks Fred for taking a look at this

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
I can't find anything wrong with your registrations, Gerry. And when I play them on my T4, they work fine.

There are settings for Style Change Behavior in Function>Style Setting, which might be worth checking, but none should exhibit the behavior you identify.

If it happened all the time, it would indicate Freeze is on, but happening only once is mysterious. Same thing with a registration being unable to find the style (one of your regs is looking for I:/Heidrun Dolde Styles/CHACHA.STY), but again, it should happen all the time.

What happens on the screen when you load the different registrations? Does the style name change properly?

Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Geria

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
Fred, I'm glad you mentioned to check the display screen when changing registrations. I did notice a delay before a new style appeared, long enough to play a previous style, even though the registration button is pushed and the orange led is on. When I push the button more firmly it switches immediately. So, I may have some very lazy buttons or weak fingers. A very good cleaning may be in order. Also, the ambient temperature and humidity may have something to do with it. Here in the greater Tucson area our AC is still on with temps in the high 90's. and our humidifier cannot keep up.

Again Fred thanks for your help and suggestions, you're the best!

Gerry

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »
Good to hear youíre honing in on the problem. You would think if the button is lit that all the settings should be in place, but you never know.

On my T4, I can switch registrations using the tab buttons, or a foot pedal. If that can be done on the 950, itís worth checking out whether that solves the problem as well. If so, itís your registration button contacts.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Geria

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »
Fred, As you stated, it must be a contact problem. Yes, I can use a pedal on the 950, but a pedal moves from 1 through 8 or back, depending how it is set up. But I like to mix it up and if I'm not mistaken (easy to do at my age), one cannot move randomly among the numbers with a pedal. But, if that is possible I would set that up in a heart beat.

Gerry

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
Gerry, I suspect you have a button problem, which can be the result of weather conditions, or just from pressing them too hard at times, which tends to destroy the tiny contact surfaces of the bubble type switches. If you use registrations a lot, and they get pressed hard, I would imagine that just cleaning the switches will not solve the problem. Replacement is not easy unless you have a good electro-machanical background. If this persists, you may have to take the keyboard to an authorized service center for repairs.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Geria

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »
Gary,
Thanks for your thoughts on this problem. Like you, I mostly use the MDF 80% and registrations 20%. Who knows, may be because of not enough use these bubble buttons are becoming problematic. Hope I don't have to get this machine repaired and be without it.

Gerry

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »
Gerry, because I played for a living, there was a tech guy here in Maryland that would fix my keyboard while I ate lunch across the street from his shop. It was amazing, and he didn't charge very much to make the repairs. These kind of repair facilities are few and far between, though.

I would suggest beginning with some canned air and blast it around the edges of the registration buttons, which often solves the problem. DO NOT USE things like WD-40 or CRC on those buttons - it will destroy them and more. If the canned air does not work, then it's a repair center for sure.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
Fred, As you stated, it must be a contact problem. Yes, I can use a pedal on the 950, but a pedal moves from 1 through 8 or back, depending how it is set up. But I like to mix it up and if I'm not mistaken (easy to do at my age), one cannot move randomly among the numbers with a pedal. But, if that is possible I would set that up in a heart beat.

Gerry, you can easily jump around registrations using a pedal. It's called a registration sequence. I have one set up for every registration file I use. You can see it in action in my videos.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »
Gerry, because I played for a living, there was a tech guy here in Maryland that would fix my keyboard while I ate lunch across the street from his shop. It was amazing, and he didn't charge very much to make the repairs. These kind of repair facilities are few and far between, though.

I would suggest beginning with some canned air and blast it around the edges of the registration buttons, which often solves the problem. DO NOT USE things like WD-40 or CRC on those buttons - it will destroy them and more. If the canned air does not work, then it's a repair center for sure.

Gary,

It just dawned on me from reading this post that you've crossed the 10,000 post threshold.

Congratulations.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Geria

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »
Fred, I'll watch and learn you sequence video lesson. Thanks.

Gary, Good suggestion re cleaning. It may help. We have several open pit copper mines around us and with heavy winds there is this white gritty fall out we see on furniture and floors. I need a dust cover.

Gerry

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
Open pit copper mine dust will wreak havoc on any and all electronic gear. We had some silver mines near where I once lived and they sure messed up a lot of delicate, low voltage, electronic equipment. Some of the folks there installed filters on their PC ventilation fans to prevent the problems, but it was a short lived solution for most.

A good, plastic dust cover will go a long way in keeping the copper dust from settling into the cracks and crevices of the keyboard.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Jan-Eve

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 01:19:57 AM »
Hi! I have a great vacumcleaner that I am cleaning my S950 once a week.
Along with a soft brush on the tube. My keybord is now 5 years old and I have a cover of cotton on it, when I donīt  play. I am also playing out, leading two choirs for retired people. Playing and singing with my vocal harmonizer on gigs. So its a nice keyboard if you just keep it clean from dust. And thats the same thing for all electronic Equipment.
Kind regards Jan - Eve.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:21:09 AM by Jan-Eve »

Offline Geria

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:02 AM »
Jan-Eve:
I learned some valuable lessons from all the replies. Thoroughly cleaned the keyboard and a dust cover is on its way from Amazon! I want to keep this 950 and keep on playing gigs!

Gerry

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »
Gerry, I love my PSR-S950 and used it for more than 1,000 jobs. I vacuum it weekly, blow the dust out with canned air weekly and it has never, once hiccuped on the job or at home in the office. It's an extremely versatile, fantastic sounding arranger keyboard and should provide you with years of wonderful entertainment.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Geria

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 03:45:08 PM »
Gerry, I love my PSR-S950 and used it for more than 1,000 jobs. I vacuum it weekly, blow the dust out with canned air weekly and it has never, once hiccuped on the job or at home in the office. It's an extremely versatile, fantastic sounding arranger keyboard and should provide you with years of wonderful entertainment.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Gary, we promised ourselves to stop gigging when we turned 80. But, now we are there we cannot stop loading our gear in the car twice monthly, taking our trusty 950, hooking it up to the Fender Passport and start making music. Just music from the 30's to the 50's, some country, Beatles and very light rock. It is all voluntary: an adult day care center and a rehab center with many vets. When the music starts one does not feel a day over 80. Is music the fountain of youth?

Gerry and Ria  :D :-*

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 07:23:14 PM »
Gerry, I'm not sure if it is the Fountain Of Youth, but it sure has kept me going for a long time. I performed music for a full time living, and it was the best job I ever had - bar none!

Hope everything works out for you and you are able to solve those problems,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Geria

Re: Can't figure this out with my S950 registrations [SOLVED]
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 08:17:16 PM »
After a very thorough cleaning I have not experienced any problems with the registration buttons. Thanks to all for the help!

Gerry