Author Topic: Midi controler, on PSR EW400?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Dimi.D

Midi controler, on PSR EW400?
« on: October 14, 2017, 03:26:09 AM »
Hi all,

this is probably a stupied question, but here it is:

Is there a way to connect a midi keyboard directly on a PSR EW400, and produce a different sound than the one already assigned as main voice?

Thanks
Dimi
Psr S650, Psr EW400

Re: Midi controler, on PSR EW400?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:25:51 AM »
Hi,
You may attach an external instrument through AUX IN input; provided that the instrument has its own inbuilt sounds, or the instrument can produce sounds through some internal mechanism, like mobile or ipod.
Thanks.
Anupam
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »
If I understand your question, you can indeed connect a MIDI keyboard controller or other MIDI device to the PSR-EW400 to play with additional voices beyond the Main Voice, Dual Voice, and Split Voice. However, there are a few wrinkles or considerations:

(1) The PSR-EW400 has a low polyphony, which may become an issue if you're sequencing MIDI data to it from another device.

(2) You'll either need to be able to use the connected device to send appropriate MIDI messages (i.e., Bank Select, Program Change, and Control Changes) to the PSR-EW400 for setting the voices and voice parameters, or else use MIDI song files on the PSR-EW400 to set the voices and voice parameters on whichever MIDI channels the external controller will be using.

(3) As far as I know, there's no way to use the connected device to control the auto accompaniment (styles and patterns).

(4) But most importantly, since the PSR-EW400 has a USB-MIDI port but no MIDI ports, you can't just directly connect another MIDI device to it via a USB cable. Instead, you must have some third device between them to act as a USB host. Often a computer, laptop, or possibly even a tablet or smart phone-- depending on the number and types of connections it supports-- is used as the USB host device. However, there are also standalone interfaces that can act as a USB host:

- iConnectivity makes a number of interfaces, some of which (e.g., the mio4) can act as a USB host. Look for one that has a USB-A port (the one with the flattish shape) on it in addition to the usual USB-B ports (the ones with the squarish shape).
https://www.iconnectivity.com/midi-interfaces-1/

- Kenton makes a MIDI USB Host that can connect a MIDI device to a USB-MIDI device.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

- Sevilla Soft makes a few MIDI interfaces, two of which (the USB Host MIDI 2 and the USB Host MIDI Router) can connect a MIDI device to a USB-MIDI device.
http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/?zenid=II9gJ1TKIc18KqLYsYNdF3

The Sevilla Soft USB Host MIDI 2 looks like the least expensive option-- unless you're talking about a setup in your "home studio" (as opppsed to live on stage), in which case the least expensive option is probably to just connect everything to your computer and use a DAW or other MIDI router software (e.g., MIDI-OX) to route the MIDI data from one device to the other.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Dimi.D

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »
Hello Mike,

thanks a lot for your thorough answer.
unless you're talking about a setup in your "home studio"
That's exactly the case but unfortunatly my knowledge of midi connections and operations is very limited, so I will try to explain what I want to do and maybe you can help me understand how I should do it.

At the moment I own the PSR ew400, a midi keyboard ( M-AUDIO Axiom Mini 32 ) and a laptop running Windows 10 with 3 DAW'S installed: Mixcraft 7, Studio One 3 and FL Studio 10.

I don't mind buying a midi host device as you suggested, if neccesary.

What I would like to achive, is being able to reproduce 2 different voices - BOTH OF THEM BELONGING TO THE PSR'S SET OF VOICES - at the same time, one using the PSR and the orther using the Axiom.

I hope I am making sence and once again thanks a lot for taking the time to help. :)

Regards
Dimi

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:15:34 PM by Dimi.D »
Psr S650, Psr EW400

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:17 AM »
What I would like to achive, is being able to reproduce 2 different voices - BOTH OF THEM BELONGING TO THE PSR'S SET OF VOICES - at the same time, one using the PSR and the orther using the Axiom.
I am afraid, that won't be possible, unless you get yourself, another PSR keyboard; the onboard set of voices on your PSR, cannot be controlled by an external MIDI controller.
Best if you set up a MIDI keyboard system with voices from DAW, infact that would sound even better than a PSR !
Anupam
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »
I should have responded sooner, but was preoccupied by other things and haven't made any screenshots yet.

Again, if I understand what you want to do, you can do it easily by using your computer as a USB host and one of your DAWs as a MIDI router. Either Mixcraft or Studio One should work well for this-- Mixcraft offers certain advantages, but Studio One offers other advantages. Neither one of them will let you select the Reverb Type or Chorus Type, since neither of them provide SysEx message capabilities and the effects types must be selected via SysEx. However, you can have only one Reverb Type and Chorus Type selected anyway-- i.e., the same Reverb Type and Chorus Type are used for all voices, and all you can do at the individual voice level is control the Reverb Depth and Chorus Depth for each voice, which does not require SysEx.

Just to clarify, in this particular situation the computer and DAW will be used strictly for connecting the two keyboards together and routing MIDI data from one to the other. Of course, you can also use the DAW as a virtual instrument host so you can use either keyboard to play sound samples, soft synths, and other types of virtual instruments on the computer, which-- as AnupamEnosh says-- might sound much better than the voices on your PSR-EW400. And you can certainly use the DAW to record MIDI and/or audio, or to send automated MIDI sequences to your PSR-EW400.

To further clarify, I believe that what AnupamEnosh meant is that you cannot use an external keyboard to control the keyboard parts or accompaniment parts on the PSR-EW400, as is possible on the PSR-S models. You can send MIDI data to the keyboard on any or all of the 16 MIDI channels, but that data cannot control the Main Voice, Dual Voice, and Split Voice (i.e., the "keyboard parts"), nor can it control the Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2, Bass, Chord 1, Chord 2, Pad, Phrase 1, and Phrase 2 tracks of the style (i.e., the "accompaniment parts"). But you can do what you're asking about-- the M-Audio controller can be used to play from 1 to 16 voices (one voice per MIDI channel) in addition to whatever voices are being played by the keyboard parts and accompaniment parts. Of course, the more voices you're playing at the same time, the more of the keyboard's polyphony (tone generators) you'll be using, so you won't want to get too crazy with the extra voices.
Michael Rideout

The following users thanked this post: AnupamEnosh

Offline Dimi.D

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
Ok, now we are getting somewhere! :)

As I have already said, I dont know much about midi. You said:

the M-Audio controller can be used to play from 1 to 16 voices (one voice per MIDI channel) in addition to whatever voices are being played by the keyboard parts and accompaniment parts.

Could you guide me in some way, to understand how I can make this happen?
If it's too much for you to explain, I understand.
Maybe there is some place, where I could read about the proper way..??

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Regards
dimi
Psr S650, Psr EW400

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 11:55:30 AM »
No, it's not too much trouble. Just give me some time to switch over from my laptop to my desktop computer, crank up my keyboards and DAWs, take screenshots, and write up some notes. I'm thinking of posting the notes in a different subforum-- probably the "Sequencers (Sonar, Cakewalk, Cubase, etc)" subforum-- since they should be useful for other keyboard models. If I do that, I'll post a link in this thread so you'll be sure to see it.
Michael Rideout

The following users thanked this post: Dimi.D