Author Topic: Genos capacitive touchscreen?  (Read 688 times)

Online StuartR

Genos capacitive touchscreen?
« on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
In a recent demo video (below) from the UK,  I noticed that the player moved the organ drawbars using the touchscreen (50 secs in). Does this demonstrate that the Genos has a capacitive rather than a resistive screen like the Montage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FQ_nrbKFQ

Offline DavidB

Re: Genos capacitive touchscreen?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
Both resistive and capacitive touch screens are capable of on screen drag. The main difference is that resistive screens don't handle multi touch gestures at all well - these being much better suited to capacitive screens where pressure is not required.

I haven't seen in any demo someone using more than one finger, click or drag at a time and so I really don't think you can determine the screen technology from that video clip.

Regards,
Just don't mention Genos USB drive letter assignments :)

Online StuartR

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »
Both resistive and capacitive touch screens are capable of on screen drag. The main difference is that resistive screens don't handle multi touch gestures at all well - these being much better suited to capacitive screens where pressure is not required.

I haven't seen in any demo someone using more than one finger, click or drag at a time and so I really don't think you can determine the screen technology from that video clip.

Regards,

Perhaps but it didn't look like much of a press on the screen. Take a look and see what you think.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
Hard to tell, but I believe it is a resistive screen at this point. I couldn't find anything in the user manual that tells me this, though. I guess its another one of those wait and see items or questions that get answered eventually.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline DavidB

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
If, and of course we have to wait and see, you have to use icons to scroll through lists rather than touching and dragging, or page tabs to navigate through pages then it is most likely resistive per the screens on many aircraft. However, I agree, it is an if at this stage. Providing the screen works as intended and reliably then I don't think the technology need be an issue.
Just don't mention Genos USB drive letter assignments :)

Online StuartR

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »
If, and of course we have to wait and see, you have to use icons to scroll through lists rather than touching and dragging, or page tabs to navigate through pages then it is most likely resistive per the screens on many aircraft. However, I agree, it is an if at this stage. Providing the screen works as intended and reliably then I don't think the technology need be an issue.

My experience with resistive screens on both a Korg Kronos and a Montage has not been great. Sure they work ok but they require you depress the top layer to signal input and aren't as sensitive as capacitive screens IMHO. Long term reliability isn't as good either but I've never kept any keyboard that long :) Resistive screens are cheaper too I believe.
These are just my observations based on one man's experience.

I was just hoping that we'd get a superior capacitive touchscreen this time. Guess we'll wait and see.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 12:27:39 AM »
In a recent demo video (below) from the UK,  I noticed that the player moved the organ drawbars using the touchscreen (50 secs in). Does this demonstrate that the Genos has a capacitive rather than a resistive screen like the Montage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FQ_nrbKFQ

I had the same thought when seeing this demonstration. Pulling the drawbars looks very comfortable. But some seconds before this scene, pressing the buttons seems to need real pressing.

Uli
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:44:40 AM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos (finally)
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: StuartR