Author Topic: E263, E363 or E453 ?  (Read 501 times)

Offline alecu7

E263, E363 or E453 ?
« on: October 08, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »
i bought E363 for my daughter birthday which is in a few days. i did compare with roland go:keys and found that roland is not the same build as E363. but my question is: is E363 good for my daugher or not? is it too weak or too complex? should i go with E262 or E453? she is a beginner, she plays by ear, she cannot read notes.

i ask you all the gurus out there if E363 is a good buy or should i get one of the other two? E262 or E453?

thanks and happy thanksgiving
btw, right now im stuffed like a turkey (pun intended. lol)

Alex

Re: E263, E363 or E453 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:22:23 PM »
E363 is the ideal instrument for beginners, IMO going for E453 will be a trivial step, because for learners, it makes no big difference. E363 is not so complex when it comes to functionality, everything is clearly mentioned onboard. Do not go for deep features or specs of keyboards, because for a learner, all that matters is a decent voice sample, velocity responsive keys and hard practice. E263 does not have velocity responsive keys, so I believe it should not be the starter keyboard for a teenager.
Please mention if your daughter is interested ONLY in learning Piano, or every sound out there.
Anupam
PSR-E453

The following users thanked this post: alecu7

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »
I definitely would not get the PSR-E263, as it does not have a touch sensitive keyboard, nor can it be connected to a computer via USB-MIDI. You might think that the lack of USB-MIDI connectivity isn't a big deal in this case, and it might not be, but it does mean that the PSR-E263 can't be used with any apps or software.

The PSR-E453 might seem like overkill, but it might actually be a better choice if you think your daughter would enjoy experimenting with the Live Control knobs to alter the sounds, or if you think she might become seriously interested in recording herself on the keyboard. The PSR-E453 has better song-recording abilities than the PSR-E363, as well as the ability to save the songs as MIDI files on a USB thumb drive, which the PSR-E363 can't do. The PSR-E453 has more room to grow into.

But depending on her age and level of musical interest, the PSR-E363 might be sufficient.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

The following users thanked this post: alecu7

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:58 AM »
I agree with Michael.  Back when I first learned how to play keyboard in 1978, I learned on an organ that cost about $1600.  There were no inexpensive, portable, polyphonic keyboards back then except for a reed chord organ!  $1600 back then would be something like $7000-8000 today, when inflation is taken into consideration.  And how much does a PSR-E453 cost?  About $300, if you get the AC adaptor for it.  Granted, if you don't have it in your budget, then its not in your budget, and you go with what you can afford.  But if you were considering the GO:KEYS, which you said was even more expensive, then I would definitely consider the E453.  The additional sounds, DSP effects, sound-shaping features (filter, envelope generator) and live control knobs, ability to save music and registrations to a USB flash drive, banks of registrations, DJ patterns, and 6-track sequencer all provide additional flexibility and will make it so that it will take her longer to outgrow the instrument if she develops an interest in music.  In fact, I have been playing keyboard for 39 years, and I do not feel that I have outgrown my PSR-E433, which is one of the E453's predecessors!

And I know with me, especially as a child, if I was given one model of a product, and then discovered that there was a more advanced model for not much more money, then I would probably want the more advanced model.  A bit selfish, I know, but that's human nature!

A few other things to consider...

If you really think the extra features would be more of a distraction to her learning how to play the keyboard, then that would be a reason to consider the E363.  But, most of these extra features, in my opinion, are less of a distraction and just provide more options to play and record the music as she learns how to play.  Maybe the DJ patterns, which just play repeating dance/DJ patterns over and over, could be a distraction.

There are keyboards that are essentially 76-key versions of the E363 and E453 called the EW300 and EW400 which are worth considering.  At least I think the EW300 is a 76-key version of the E363.  I know the EW400 is essentially a 76-key version of the E453 with a better piano sound and a few other extra features.  It's about $400, if I recall correctly.

Finally, as the E453 was released in the spring of 2016, and Yamaha has been coming out with new models of the E4xx series of keyboards every two years, I would guess that the E463 will be coming out in about six months, but that is pure speculation on my part, and at this point, even if there is an E463, I have no idea what upgrades it may have.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 02:40:07 AM »
Hi Alecu,

I think that the PSR E363 is very fine for a beginner. You can download the songbook with all internal songs on Yamaha’s website.

The only drawback would be if your daughter wants to play traditional piano pieces. If this is the case, the PSR E363 won’t do because it has only 61 keys. Then the PSR EW300 would be perfect (same exact features as PSR E363 but with 76 keys). There is also the PSR EW400 (same features as the PSR E453 but much better piano sound, better amplification, 76 keys and dedicated stereo audio outputs).

If it were for my own daughter, I’d definitely buy the PSR EW300. The sounds and features will be quite sufficient for a beginner and the possibility to play proper piano pieces is definitely a plus. The PSR EW400 would probably be overkill at this stage. In one or two years, when she knows better what her musical interests are, she can upgrade to a more sphisticated arranger keyboard like the PSR S670 (or its sucessor), or to the DGX 660 iif she has really taken on the piano.

As for the E263 it is really a (nice) toy more than anything else. The Roland Go:keys is overpriced in my opinion, the Yamaha’s are more solidly built. It is more a DJ tool than anything else, not a proper arranger keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline alecu7

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
thank you all for the replies.
i am going to go with e363 for various reasons:
1. it is a huge step up from Casio 37 key toy that she has now.
2. 61 keys are more than enough at this stage
3. bells and whistles of e363 are cool for her
4. she could get bored of playing keyboard in couple of months and get another hobby, like boyfriends. lol
5. less expensive than e453 or ew300
6. already in my trunk waiting for her birthday next week.

Alex

Offline alecu7

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »
OK, so i just found out that Costco has a promotion for ew300 for $299 cad. so i bought it 5min ago. i will return e363 to best buy later today.
for the diff of $60 it is worth it going from 61 to 76 keys.
again, thank you for all your guidance you awesome people gave me in this past days.

Alex