Author Topic: S950 with Monitor Connection  (Read 595 times)

Offline hitendramahida11

S950 with Monitor Connection
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I have connected my s950 with JBL Lsr305. I was expecting volume to be decent loud enough as each speaker has it own amplifier with 41w of clean power.......Hoewver i find sound to be pretty on low(lame) side.
Am i missing anything here, because built in keyboard speaker seems loud then the one that i connected ?
do i need mixer etc?

Also in your mind JBL LSR 305 are worth investing as i got it after seeing lots of good review , however first impression were , like they were not loud enough as i was expecting.

Please help. earlier response would be appreciated.

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: S950 with Monitor Connection
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »
I don't have any experience with these speakers, but looking at them on the JBL website I see that they have an input sensitivity selector.

This allows you to connect consumer level devices (such as your keyboard) using the -10 dB setting or professional devices with the +4 dB setting.  Are you using the correct (-10 dB) setting?

Also I see that the speaker's 1/4" jack input is  TRS and intended for a balanced cable, but I think that the outputs on the keyboard are unbalanced TS.  Have you tried using TS (mono) cables?

I assume that you have got the Volume control on the speakers turned up ::),  but the outputs from the keyboard vary with it's Master Volume Control.  Have you got this turned well up?

Regards

Ian

Offline hitendramahida11

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
thanks for reply.
Yes, sound dial on my keyboard is on max as well as on back of monitor speaker. i have connected right now XLR from monitor to 1/4 TRS cable into keyboard. I have changed sensitivity as well however no difference in output.

May be you are right in terms of TR & TRS because in my existing setup i am using TS to RCA to connect keyboard with my logitech and it works perfectly fine. I have tried same setup with MACKIE CR3 with no problem.

I like small mackie, so that will go for JBL LSR 305 as they are individually amped for higher power, however the sound is pretty low..

let me know if there is a fix, else i will need to return this monitors...

awaiting for more reply.

thanks.

Offline hitendramahida11

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »
thank you for the Hint,
Tried Hack and problem is now solved. Ran TS cable from one speaker to another and it now sound so awesome...
Thank you again.
Hitendra

Offline mikechavez

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
In my experience, I have the same monitors, but I have never tried connecting my PSR-S950 directly to them.

I have always used a 6-channel pre-mixer (Alesis Multimix 6), and the volume at a certain level is excellent. At one point, the cones show their "suspension", seeming they can burst, but it is not, it is only know how to measure the power. I avoid precisely connecting the direct keyboard, because it seems to me that the preamp of the PSR, sends a sound with a powerful equalization than normal.

I recommend using a previous mixer.

Miguel.
* PSR S950
* Novation Impulse 61
* IPad Air 2
* Laptop HP AMD A10, 12 Gb RAM, 1TB HD (Ableton Live)
* Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
* JBL LSR 305 Monitors
* Alesis Multimix 6
* Mic Senheiser e835
* Condenser Mic Samson C01
* Mic AKG Perception Live P5s

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
Those JBLs are never going to provide you with high volumes - they are only 41-watts peak power -NOT RMS.

First and foremost, adjust your global EQ settings to a standard smiley face pattern on the plus side.

EQ1=4
EQ2=3
EQ3=2
EQ4=4
EQ5=6

This alone will make a huge difference.

Next, if you are a home player, you really don't need external speakers, unless you want to make your neighbors mad at your for playing music too loud. If you insist on a home amp system, a 2 channel Logitech Z333 will be more than sufficient to blow the windows out of your house at 80-watts RMS power and only $79 at most retail outletts.

Good luck.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...