Author Topic: Style Out function not works  (Read 431 times)

Offline rfsenger

Style Out function not works
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
Hi, I am trying to work with my PSR-E443 connected to Kontakt software. There are no problems with the voices, All of them are played as expected by Kontakt according the library loaded. The problem is with styles. The function Style Out, by default is OFF when E443 is turned on, so I turn it to ON but not happens, no sounds of styles of the keyboard are sent to sound interface of the computer. Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Offline rfsenger

Re: Style Out function not works
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:06:18 AM »
I worked a little harder on this problem and my conclusion is that it should be a bugged ou corrupted firmware in E443. The computer, a Lenovo Thinkpad Core Duo with 4GB of RAM and an external Sound Blaster Audigy ZS Notebook for audio interface meets minimum requirements for KONTAKT 5. This keyboard is only recognized on port A1 as expected, where no styles are being reproduced. The only way to hear a distorted mix of the style that is being played on the keyboard is by setting the port to omni. I do not think the Yamaha driver was bugged. Anyway the only application officially supported by Yamaha is MusicSoft Downloader then there is no way to get help from Yamaha. I'm a little disappointed with this E443. KONTAKT would be a way to have professional features on this semi professional keyboard at a reasonable cost.

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
When you set the "Style Out" option to "On," the style tracks are transmitted on MIDI channels 9 through 16, although depending on the style one or more of those channels might not be needed. Note that this option only works with the styles; it does not work with the patterns on the PSR-E443.

You said it works if you set Kontakt to Omni, which I take it means all channels. If the software you're using with Kontakt allows you to set up more than one track at a time, you can set up multiple tracks for receiving MIDI data on up to 16 MIDI channels from the PSR-E443. For instance, the following list assumes that you've set up 16 tracks, one for each MIDI channel:

Track 1 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 1, which is used by the Main Keyboard Part (a.k.a. Main Voice), or for playback of MIDI song channel 1.
Track 2 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 2, which is used by the Dual Keyboard Part (a.k.a. Dual Voice), or for playback of MIDI song channel 2.
Track 3 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 3, which is used by the Split Keyboard Part (a.k.a. Split Voice), or for playback of MIDI song channel 3.
Track 4 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 4, which is used for playback of MIDI song channel 4.
Track 5 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 5, which is used for playback of MIDI song channel 5.
Track 6 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 6, which is used for playback of MIDI song channel 6.
Track 7 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 7, which is used for playback of MIDI song channel 7.
Track 8 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 8, which is used for playback of MIDI song channel 8.
Track 9 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 9, which is used by the Style Rhythm 1 Part, or for playback of MIDI song channel 9.
Track 10 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 10, which is used by the Style Rhythm 2 Part, or for playback of MIDI song channel 10.
Track 11 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 11, which is used by the Style Bass Part, or for playback of MIDI song channel 11.
Track 12 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 12, which is used by the Style Chord 1 Part, or for playback of MIDI song channel 12.
Track 13 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 13, which is used by the Style Chord 2 Part, or for playback of MIDI song channel 13.
Track 14 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 14, which is used by the Style Pad Part, or for playback of MIDI song channel 14.
Track 15 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 15, which is used by the Style Phrase 1 Part, or for playback of MIDI song channel 15.
Track 16 -- Receive from PSR-E443 MIDI channel 16, which is used by the Style Phrase 2 Part, or for playback of MIDI song channel 16.

The three Keyboard Parts (Main Voice, Dual Voice, and Split Voice) are transmitted only if the "Keyboard Out" option is set to "On." The Main Voice will always be transmitted, but the Dual Voice is transmitted only if the "Dual" option is active, and the Split Voice is transmitted only if the "Split" option is active.

The 16 Song Parts (MIDI song channels) are transmitted only if the "Song Out" option is set to "On." The six tracks of a User Song-- each of which may contain data for more than one MIDI channel-- can be toggled on or off individually. This could affect which of the 16 Song Parts are actually transmitted.

The eight Style Parts are transmitted only if the "Style Out" option is set to "On." The six Track Control buttons can be used to toggle the Style Parts on or off, although certain Style Parts-- such as Rhythm 1 and Rhythm 2-- are controlled simultaneously with a single Track Control button. This could affect which of the eight Style Parts are actually transmitted.

By adding multiple tracks (if your software allows it) and setting each track to a specific MIDI channel, you can use a different external virtual instrument in place of each part that you're transmitting from the PSR-E443. I'm not familiar with Kontakt's features and capabilities, but most DAW programs will let you add 16 MIDI tracks, set each one to a different MIDI channel, and assign each one to a different virtual instrument.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline rfsenger

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »
Thank you Michael Rideout for your detailed and didactic explanation. Sorry for not responding before. I will try to work a little more with the tracks setting.