Author Topic: Another screen bites the dust !!  (Read 997 times)

Offline Afton72

Another screen bites the dust !!
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »
       Hi Folks,
                       Yep it's happened !!!  Last night a great flicker of screen & nearly all button lights, + spluttering from both speakers.    Screen wasn't too dull when I shut down, but too spluttery to work with, and most panel lights still flashing.
              I had tried far right note start-up, with no result.
    Not sure of age, bought 2nd hand. it has been good to now.

Late this morn I opened to a fairly dull screen but stable lights & sound.  LCD contrast will make some small change only.
   Shall try connecting to a TV later just to see.  Also shall keep reading earlier posts on this subject.
              But what are the latest ideas for solution nowdays,please?   I think I can do some repairs myself, changed pads in the 1500.

Thank you for any help,
                                             Cheers,          Alan.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:59:07 PM by Afton72 »

Offline Afton72

Re: Another screen bites the dust !!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:19:03 AM »
 Hello, may I ask another question,
  Tonight, my time,   the screen has gone to the stage I can only read screen with a torch, the screen looks to be quite readable, with external light.               Does this mean it MIGHT be only the backlight at fault?

I plugged Video-out into a TV today, didn't work.

Just wondering which way to turn.    New K/B out of the question :'( :'( ;D

Thank You,          Alan

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 05:34:41 AM »
Alan,

That sounds like definite back light problem, but you may have other problems too.
I don't know if you can replace the back light on the 1500, but it would be cheaper if you can.

As far as connecting to your TV, the picture was not all that good on TV for me, but that should still work if it is just the back light.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 06:59:44 AM »
"Last night a great flicker of screen & nearly all button lights, + spluttering from both speakers.    Screen wasn't too dull when I shut down, but too spluttery to work with, and most panel lights still flashing."
I wouldn't think a display backlight failure would cause this. Perhaps a failing power supply?

Offline Afton72

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 05:37:22 AM »
  Well Folks,  I tried out the original PA300 power supply of the 1500 on this 900, & the screen was just usable, but I was able to see well enough to find midis on a USB, got them playing, and after a few minutes the normal music vibrations started the backlight flashing but everything else seemed OK. Then some real beating music put the light out altogether, regardless which power unit I use, it's still out.    Music is still playing normally. no sound probs or flashes.
 Just the black screen, which looks normal otherwise.
         So I'll have to hunt for the article somebody posted, with instructions on how they fitted a new tube light.   If I can't find it, I'll have to holler for more help
     If I can't fix the light, should  external screen still run off the vid-out.  Does it do any harm using K/Bd without light, using an ext screen.

Thanks very much for your support, both actual & moral. Suggestions still welcome.

Cheers,    Alan

Offline Afton72

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:05:32 AM »
   Hi All,
                         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SosJbPCSp0k
Found this vid on Utube, seems very interesting, maybe within my basic competence.
  Would like to hear your opinions on the video & going to neon tube or diodes, I saw somewhere, the wrong tubes can do damage to the display.

1. So,  how do I know what diodes to select, (voltage & such) to buy. Saw some on Ebay

I see in video, in assembly, he points to connecting other end of wires, is that a different spot to where it was?.

Display screens are too dear for my likings.

Everything else on the 900 still looks normal, can just see screen changing with torch, tried it today.
  2. Can I connect Video-out of K/Bto a screen of some kind?.
          I welcome any help & suggestions .
                                                 Alan
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:09:01 AM by Afton72 »

Offline Afton72

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:20:09 AM »
   Just stumbled on this one, he's cutting a long diode to fit, but I don't understand his language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V_7XTpoq7w
                 Alan

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:41:23 AM »
I remember I had the same experience with my S900. :'(

At that time the screen has been replaced by a new one, free of the charge ( Yamaha guarantee ).
A lot of S900 players met this problem.

I know one could buy a complete new screen in China for approx. U$ 50,-- + shipping.
I do not remember the name of the supplier.  :-[

Maybe it can be found on the internet. Cross my fingers ...

In the meantime you can connect an external ( TV ) screen. That wortks great.

Good, luck !
Best regards from The Netherlands, Jeff
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:42:56 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Afton72

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 04:38:58 AM »
 Thanks for answering Jeff,  trouble is I can't find just how to connect the external screen, tried the TV, Vid-out to Vid-in AV,
 maybe that's wrong.   Fred Smith must do it somehow.

Alan

Offline rizkhancnn

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »
   Just stumbled on this one, he's cutting a long diode to fit, but I don't understand his language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V_7XTpoq7w
                 Alan

The guy at Youtube is hiding fact. The inverter board he is making connection with, is supplying AC voltage, but the LEDS need DC voltage, it will blow!.

The correct way to do connection is shown by the other posted video link by you,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SosJbPCSp0k

You need 12V DC. CONNECTION FROM 12V REGULATOR IC OUTPUT.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:57:18 PM by rizkhancnn »

Offline rizkhancnn

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »
Thanks for answering Jeff,  trouble is I can't find just how to connect the external screen, tried the TV, Vid-out to Vid-in AV,
 maybe that's wrong.   Fred Smith must do it somehow.

Alan

You have to enable video out NTSC/PAL from the keyboard, as far as i can recall. See the manual to find shortcut to directly enable it.
From keyboard video out , tv video in. Also chane input of source in your tv to what input port you connecting keyboard i,e VIDEO1 VIDEO2 ETC

Offline Afton72

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »
Thank You, Rizkhancnn, for your time, I shall study those vids again to make sure I get it in my old head. Not to forget the manual. ;)
  Nothing like getting a bit of confidence 8), as long as it isn't false ;D ;D  I'm starting to feel happier now. I love the feeling of achieving success when we make something usefull.

Thank You,
                            Alan :) :)