Author Topic: Getting DGX to work with MidiPlayer?  (Read 396 times)

Offline billmc

Getting DGX to work with MidiPlayer?
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:58:20 AM »
I know that I might need to ask this question in another part of the forum, but has anyone been able to get their DGX to work with MidiPlayer?

I'm wanting to modify some styles to work with my DGX. Windows 7 says that it sees my Grand Piano as a MIDI device. But MidiPlayer doesn't have any DGXs as an instrument option. Any styles I play, play to my PC only (crappy MIDI simulation). When I try to select a MIDI instrument, a window pops up that says to click on "PLWMidiMap.cpl" in the MidiPlayer directory, a file that does not exist.

Though I've looked through the Owner's Manual, I don't see anywhere to set the instrument's MIDI setting to USB. So I don't know how to do that, either. :(

Has anyone been able to hook up their DGX to a Windows PC? If so, can you help?

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Getting DGX to work with MidiPlayer?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
This afternoon I dug out my old DGX505, connected it to my Win7 computer and played back style files from MidiPlayer to the DGX without any problems.

I think that your problem is that you can't set the keyboard as the MIDI output device.  For Windows 7 you need a third party program of some sort to do this (nice one Microsoft!), and the "PLWMidiMap.cpl" that MidiPayer tells you to use will let you select the output.

I don't know why you can't find it!  It is in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\MidiPlayer\PLWMidiMap.cpl" on my 64 bit system, and "C:\Program Files\MidiPlayer\PLWMidiMap.cpl" on my 32 bit machine.

I thought that perhaps it might be hidden if the folder options in your Windows Explorer were set to 'Don't show hidden files, folders or drives', but it is still listed on my computer even set like this!  I could attach the file but I don't know if it needs 'installing' in some way.

When you installed MidiPlayer did you install the "midiplayer full package" download and then use the latest update "midiplayer update" package to bring it up to date?  Try searching for "PLWMidiMap.cpl" on your system.

If you do find it, I don't think that MIDI Player automatically changes any voices, whatever keyboard you have selected in the program as long as you have 'Unchanged' set as the 'Voice' in the 'Setup' part of the screen, so you should try it with that setting initially.

I notice that there is a voice data file for the DGX620 included in the MidiPlayer folder that is set up when you install the program, but this keyboard does not appear in the list of selectable instruments within the program.  Maybe there is a problem with the installation program, which may be why your version seems to have missed out the PWLMidiMap utility!  Or perhaps the main program needs to be modified to include any new keyboard models added.

If you can get it working, there may be other programs which a more suited to what you want to do, but you will still need to be able to set the MIDI output somehow to use them for playback to the DGX.

Regards

Ian

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:57:56 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline billmc

Re: Getting DGX to work with MidiPlayer?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »
Hi, Ian. I did find the PLWMidiMap.cpl file. When I click on it, it allows me to select either "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" (which I don't want) or "Piano Grand-1" (which should work). But when I restart MidiPlayer after that (as the instructions say to do), the Style plays (progress across the screen) but there is no sound out of my DGX. And the label at the top of MidiPlayer on the left says, "There is no instrument and style listed."

I set the "Voice" to "Unchanged." Still nothing.

The "Midi Device" shows a speaker only, no instruments of any kinds. You would think that the "Midi Device" would now show "Piano Grand-1" since that is what my computer sees. But it doesn't.

I have reinstall and update MidiPlayer 3 times now as Admin. It makes no difference. My PC sees "Portable Grand" on my USB, so the problem isn't my PC or Windows. The problem is that this program doesn't support the DGX. So be it. It never advertised that it would. But considering the similar architecture between many Yamaha keyboards, I don't understand why it doesn't work. And I'm not enough of a computer programmer to fix it. I'll just live with what I have.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:21:58 PM by billmc »