Author Topic: Comparing the PSR E433, E443 and E453 - what do you think?  (Read 503 times)

Offline vbdx66

Comparing the PSR E433, E443 and E453 - what do you think?
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
Hello to all,

Some time ago I sold my PSR E433 to buy the DGX 650 because it has 88 weighted keys and I wanted to focus more on piano playing, but ever since I have been missing the sounds and styles of the PSR E433 so I am thinking of buying again a PSR E4x3 as a second, portable keyboard.

I am heavily hesitating between buying a brand-new PSR E453 with all the new features like the 48 voices polyphony, audio via USB, DSP effects controlled via the live knobs, etc.

On the other hand, I liked so much the feel of the keys of the E433 when playing it that I am thinking of buying an used E433 again.

So what do you think? If you have had the opportunity to play on both keyboards, which one did you like the most, and why? Have you had the possibility to compare the E433 and the E453 both as far as the feel of the keys and the features are concerned?

Before you ask, I am not considering buying an used E443 at this stage because I tried it in a shop some time ago and found it felt "cheaper" and more plasticky than the E433 in terms of its built and of the feel of the keys.

So what do you think?

Best Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline pjd

Re: Comparing the PSR E433, E443 and E453 - what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »
Hello Vinciane --

I have tried both the E433 and E443 and now play te E443. I'm a little disappointed in the E443's keyboard. When delivered, the highest C key was slightly higher than the rest of the keys making for an uneven appearance. My hands tend to hurt after playing the E443 during long rehearsals (one hour+) and I don't suffer the same effects after playing the MOX or S950 for a similar period of time.

I found a definite difference between in keyboard feel between the E433 and E443. Probably a cost-cutting decision.

I haven't tried the E453 mainly because I will wait for the E463.

Hope this info helps -- pj

P.S. My old PSR-E443 review is at: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/psr-e443-snap-review/

Offline vbdx66

Re: Comparing the PSR E433, E443 and E453 - what do you think?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
Hi PJ and thanks for your answer.

I read tour psr E443 review by chance earlier today and I found it very informative.

You are confirming here what I have been suspecting for some time, i.e. that Yamaha cut down the keybed quality on the PSR E443. This is a shame, because even if the sound quality is there, the feel of the keys is equally important - or else, the keyboard will quickly start getting some dust in a corner of the studio (or of the living-room, or whatever).

I think I will have to go to a music store (but I don't live near a big town), try out the E453 and decide whether I like the keybed or not. If not I'll try to find an used E433 (but here in the South of France people seem to keep and not to resell them, perhaps because of the good quality of the keybed).

Interestingly, the PSR E 343, which came out about six months before the E433, had terrific keys for a keyboard at this price tag. I chanced to play it because my niece was using it to learn the piano, so I could put my hands on it during one week of holidays. Many people are considering these keyboards as toys but the  E343 was definitely a nice little musical instrument, not a toy.

I do not want to wait for the PSR E463 to come out since it will only be next spring - and I have to find something to bid my time until the end of next winter.  ;)

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650