Author Topic: Tyros 4 Hard Drive  (Read 711 times)

Offline meyrick

Tyros 4 Hard Drive
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:01:46 AM »
HI. Can any one tell me if it is possible to increase the size of the Tyros 4 hard drive please. The standard is 250Gb, can it it be increased to 500Gb

Offline EileenL

Re: Tyros 4 Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:30:36 AM »
Yamaha will be the best people to ask about this. Why do you want this extra space. I have never been able to fill a hard drive yet and I have years of work and hundreds of WAV files on mine.

Offline meyrick

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:45:13 AM »
Hi Eileen
My HD is getting full, about 10 Gb of space remaining.
Perhaps it would be best to move some of the files to a separate HD via the computer.
Maybe I am saving unnecessary files to the Tyros HD, and a rethink on storing is required
Thanks for your reply, it has made me more aware of what I am saving.

Regards
g. meyrick

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 06:23:59 AM »
You can replace the Tyros4's internal hard disk with a larger one if you wish.

Even the 'Specifications' list starting on page 116 of the 'Owner's Manual' says "250GB or more" for the Storage - Internal Hard Disk Drive.  In fact I think that some of the last T4's produced were fitted with a 500GB drive.  A couple of forum members have reported using 1 or even 2TB drives in their keyboards.

The hard disk is a 2.5 inch SATA drive formatted as FAT32, and is simply connected to the system as a USB device. This means that it needs an SATA/USB interface to connect.   There is a card 'bolted' onto the case of the existing factory installed hard disk which provides the interface, and if you buy a new disk from Yamaha, it is likely to have such a card included (at least in the UK), and of course Yamaha charge a silly price for the complete unit, considering the cost of the bare drive itself!   :o

However you could either transfer the card from the old drive to the new one (be careful, and discharge any static charge from yourself preferably using an anti-static wristband), or use an external (portable) disk enclosure and use the interface from that, as long as you make sure that it's USB socket is the same as the one on the existing drive which avoids the need for an adaptor to connect the T4 cable to the interface.

You can even use an SSD if you like, but you won't see any speed advantage because of the slow USB connection.

Before starting, you should make a secure copy of the original drive, to a computer for example. The best way to do this is to remove  the existing drive from the T4 and connect it to the computer using a suitable cable. You can use a USB cable if you leave the original interface on the disk.  With 240GB to copy by USB, this will take a long time, but it will take even longer if you connect the T4 to the computer in so called 'USB Storage Mode'!

Once you have the new drive and it has been correctly formatted as FAT32 (ideally by the T4, which simply does a 'Quick Format' and makes one folder which it uses when recording audio), you can then copy anything from the backup on the computer that you want to include on the new disk.

Like Eileen, I am amazed that you have managed to fill so much space on the original drive.  Most of the file types that the keyboard creates or can use are relatively small.  The only large ones are Audio ones (especially in '.wav' format), and UVN/UVF expansion voice files.  So I assume that you have a lot of these on the drive!

Regards

Ian     

Offline meyrick

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »
Thanks Ian. Sorry to have taken so long to answer. You reply to my inquiry was most helpful and very instructive. I have now transferred much of the clutter from the hard drive. as you say, it consisted mainly of WAV and UVN files, many of which I find I do not use very often. I shall be more careful and thoughtful with what i save to the HD in future, but will keep in mind your suggestions. Many thanks for your help.