Author Topic: Salsa pack free in Yamaha store  (Read 1786 times)

Offline voodoo

Salsa pack free in Yamaha store
« on: August 03, 2017, 04:17:10 AM »
Hi,

in the Yamaha web store the salsa expansion pack is listed now: https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/vse/salsa-psr

Currently it can be downloaded for free. And it seems to be identical to the free pack available before. Only the icon has changed.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Joe H, Jeff Hollande, thomas750, alanclare, SandeepSaxena

Offline TwinTyros

Re: Salsa pack free in Yamaha store
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:27:10 AM »
Hi Uli,

is this pack also suitable to use it at a Tyros 5?
Regards,
Marcel

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Hollande

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:40:04 AM »
The Tyros pack costs 119,99€ and is not free. But it seems, that the PSR-pack is identical and can be installed on T5. I would give it a try.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:41:40 AM by voodoo »
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: TwinTyros

Offline eaglevision

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:54:13 AM »
For those who will load this pack to their keyboards, yet it's a small pack still you may want to skip those 2 SalsaVO-EN and SalsaVO-ES files which I thought they were some latin sound effects..But they are just introduction of the pack.. And I think this pack has the best Salsa and Latin styles made so far..

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Hollande

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 06:16:11 AM »
Thanks Uli !

Very much appreciated.  :)

Downloaded the file well.

Best regards, Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline rusha

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 07:07:35 AM »
Thanks Uli.

Offline Tony-Psrs670

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:52:35 AM »
Hi Guys

Just downloaded this thanks Uli!

Couple of questions from a newbie - The file is a .ppf file. I previously installed the Mariachi expansion pack to my 670 I think this came as a .ppi, which is the file type mentioned in the ref manual. I can't remember exactly how I installed it last time, just that it was straightforward. So do I need to use Yamaha Expansion manager to change this to a .ppi file or something?

Also, reference says I need to bundle the Mariachi and Salsa packs together - any tutorials on this?

Lastly the ref says only 1 expansion loadable at a time so presumably I need to get the Mariachi expansion out of keyboard memory? This involves a Factory Reset - is that correct? Seems rather drastic!

Thanks

Tony

Offline eaglevision

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »
Yes you need Yamaha Expansion Manager software.. ppi is the installation file of a pack.. ppf is the project file.. You can choose what to load from a ppf, or combine multi ppf files into a ppi file and load it to your keyboard.. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:59:50 PM by eaglevision »

The following users thanked this post: Paul Beaulieu

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »
The S670 memory is limited, so one pack at a time.  All you should have to do is install the next pack... and the keyboard will format the memory and then begin installing your next pack.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:35:12 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Tony-Psrs670

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 06:49:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm beginning to come to terms with the initially opaque Expansion Manager and the 670 2MB internal memory.

Here's another long-winded, beginner's question for you if you're game! (I'm keen to understand!) Given that I can access styles from my USB drive (downloaded a few from this site) then why do we actually need to INSTALL expansion styles at all?  (I'm not sure if the USB access thing is the same for voice files - if so voice files apply to this as well?)

What I'm driving at is that some of the gifted, tech-savvy bods around here have obviously found a way to 'get at' Style files. So, are all these Style files I downloaded to my USB simply versions (edited or otherwise) of ripped, pre-loaded keyboard styles from various models - or are they a mix of keyboard styles and expansion styles?

If the latter, then is there a way to extract these styles (and possibly voices) from an expansion pack to be usable from a USB drive. This would then solve the limited memory issue of the 670!..... Sorry, I do go on!

Cheers

Tony

Offline eaglevision

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:02:23 AM »
Many of the styles come with the expansion packs uses the voices come with pack also.. So without the original voices the styles may not sound properly.. But there are converted versions of the expansion pack styles around.. Which dont need the original pack voices.. But they may not sound like the original.. There's no way to call up the voices from a USB hard drive for now.. And I'm not sure there will be.. You can only extract the style files of an expansion pack with the style extractor software and re-voice the styles.. Have a look at Mr. Jørgen's web page: http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/yep/index.htm You'll find usefull stuff there..  ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:06:54 AM by eaglevision »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:27:39 AM »
Since you will need the Voices that come with the pack, it will be pointless to extract the styles from the pack.

Yamaha will never offer packs that load from the USB drive... even if it were possible to do so, which it is not, I believe the Voices are compressed in memory.  Packs from the USB drive... just imagine... Yamaha might sell a few of them then they would be distributed around the world in a matter of days and there would be no more sales, and therefore no incentive to produce them in the first place.

;)

Joe H

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:58:52 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Tony-Psrs670

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:39:11 AM »
Thanks EV & Joe

Yes, I see the limitations of my theory now.  :-\  Guess my dreams of world domination will have to wait till I can afford an upgrade to a Tyros!  Still loving the 670 though, amazing instrument, more fun than you can shake a stick at!  ;D

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:19:29 AM »
The YEP/PPI extraction program will not open this PPI and provide the styles. I guess Yamaha has changed something in the PPI. I have extracted other PPI files before successfully. I even checked just now and extracted an older PPI file I had and that one opened but not this Salsa Pack 770.  :o

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:47:01 AM by DrakeM »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 11:20:26 PM »
The YEP/PPI extraction program will not open this PPI and provide the styles.

Styles can be extracted with StyleExtractor. But as said before, they are useless without the corresponding voices and drum kits.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 12:28:10 AM »
The YEP/PPI extraction program will not open this PPI and provide the styles. I guess Yamaha has changed something in the PPI. I have extracted other PPI files before successfully. I even checked just now and extracted an older PPI file I had and that one opened but not this Salsa Pack 770.  :o

Regards
Drake

Hi

Looks like Yamaha has changed the internal file format... once again...
They do this frequently, and have never, ever published a format description for this file type... or any other file type as well...
This makes it hard for us - hobby programmers - trying to keep our free software updated!

Best wishes
Jørgen

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 03:36:58 AM »
Styles can be extracted with StyleExtractor. But as said before, they are useless without the corresponding voices and drum kits.

Uli

Nope, the files are never useless. The styles as a whole may not work 100 percent but we can take most of the styles parts and USE them in creating our OWN unique custom styles. I never turn down any of Yamaha's free styles.

Regards
Drake

Offline alanclare

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
Thank you Uli. It's always nice to get something for nothing. To a novice like myself they're very interesting, but I wouldn't pay £70 for them. The Church & Christmas pack that I chose as my freebie when I bought my S970 has a lot more useful stuff. I'm not knocking the Salsa pack. I am the limitation.

Alan

Offline TwinTyros

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 11:22:29 PM »
The Tyros pack costs 119,99€ and is not free. But it seems, that the PSR-pack is identical and can be installed on T5. I would give it a try.

Hi Uli,

I imported the pack into YEM and was also able to make a install file for the T5 and it works well, as if this pack was made for the T5. :)
Regards,
Marcel

Offline Bill

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 02:19:27 AM »
Quote from: DrakeM link=topic=39145.msg301938
Nope, the files are never useless. The styles as a whole may not work 100 percent but we can take most of the styles parts and USE them in creating our OWN unique custom styles. I never turn down any of Yamaha's free styles.

Regards
Drake

Hi Drake

Hope you can make use of them.

Bill
England

Tyros 5/76

The following users thanked this post: dragon, Dick Rector, loendersloot, John Plumridge, carson123mendes, TwinTyros

Offline Bill

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 02:22:07 AM »
For those with a Tyros 5 and have installed the Free Sals Pack  ---  The registrations for the T5

Bill

England

Tyros 5/76

The following users thanked this post: dragon, countryking, loendersloot, John Plumridge, TwinTyros, Del B

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 05:05:14 AM »
Bill,
Thank you for the Salsa Demo Registration, the original Registration in the Salsa_S970 pack doesn't work on T5 with the error: "Data hasn't been loaded properly".
I have the same problem with the free pack Euro Dance_S670 (I don't know how to fix it).
Tai

The following users thanked this post: Bill

Offline Bill

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 08:08:40 AM »
Hi Tai

Many thanks for taking the time to say thank you.   You are the only one that has bothered most people cannot even click on one of the "Like or Thankyou" Buttons.

Re the registrations:  I cannot help with the other pack you have as I did not instal it on my T5. However the way that I did my Salsa Registration was to use Murray Best's Registration Manager program to do a batch conversion to remove the incorrect file paths.

Regards

Bill
England

Tyros 5/76

The following users thanked this post: deepsae48

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 09:18:30 AM »
You will need to convert the registration to play in Tyros 5 because the smaller keyboards only have two right hand voices and Tyros won't load them.

The following users thanked this post: deepsae48

Offline lebojojo

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Thank you for the information. ;)
Yamamaha PSR-S770

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »
Bill and EileenL,
Thank you for the info.
Now I know the meaning of that error code.
Tai

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 12:21:18 PM »
Thanks Bill for sharing the styles. ;D

I spent 2 or 3 hours today tweaking them in my S950 and I'm just sharing them here in case someone else wants them. ;)

The drummer was of course missing in most of the styles but the Cuban Kit fixed that for the most part. Then I balanced the drummer's volume to the rest of the style.

Regards
Drake

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
Thank you Bill and Drake and everyone who contributed. I've got something to set my teeth in today to see to get it more or less proper working on my 950.
Love Salsa and most Latin American music.

Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline voodoo

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 12:09:26 AM »
Hi Uli,

I imported the pack into YEM and was also able to make a install file for the T5 and it works well, as if this pack was made for the T5. :)

Wow, cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: TwinTyros