Author Topic: Split keyboard MIDI  (Read 615 times)

Offline Guitarist

Split keyboard MIDI
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:10:45 PM »
Hello,

I'm using a PSR-433 in split mode. Bass on left hand and piano on right. It's easy to do that, just by pressing the pertinent button. But the question is: how to do that when you are using VST plugins on the PC?
I have both, bass and piano VST, but don't know how to split to use a bass (or anything) on left, and piano (or anything) on right hand.

I use Reaper to record and VSTHost to handle multiple plugins easily.

Regards

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Split keyboard MIDI
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:19:14 PM »
There's two ways you can do this.

One way is to turn on the split mode on the keyboard. The right/main voice will be transmitted on channel 1, and the left/split voice will be transmitted on channel 3. Be mindful of the octave settings for the main and split voices, because they will modify the transmitted note values. In your DAW, set up two MIDI tracks. Set the input of both tracks to your keyboard, but set one track to channel 1 and the other track to channel 3. Then assign whichever virtual instruments you want to use for the tracks.

The other way is less easy because it involves more setup, but it's also more flexible. Turn off the split mode on the keyboard so all the keys will be transmitted on channel 1. In your DAW, set up a MIDI track for each split you want to create; for instance, if you want to split the keyboard into three zones-- left, middle, and right-- then set up three MIDI tracks. Set the input of each track to channel 1 of your keyboard. Add a MIDI effects plug-in on each track; most DAWs have something like this, usually listed with its other effects plug-ins, but the specifics will vary from DAW to DAW. A MIDI effects plug-in will usually have a number of options available, such as filtering out MIDI events based on different criteria, or modifying the events before they're sent on to the assigned virtual instrument. You'll want to select the option to filter the Note events based on key values. You can specify a low key value and a high key value to indicate the range of notes that you want to let through. So you just set the first track to accept only the notes for the first zone you want to define, the second track to accept only the notes for the second zone, etc. Then you can usually add a transpose value to the notes that are allowed through.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Guitarist

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:37 PM »
Thank you very much for your detailed answer, Michael; it helped me a lot. The "easy" way worked like a charm, but I'll experiment with the other one later. Sorry if someone asked for this before, I think it's a normal question.

Now, I just have a final doubt about recording the 433 factory sounds. Do I have to create a new thread for it, or can I do it in this one?

Regards

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:16:17 AM »
It's usually best to keep separate subjects in separate threads, with appropriate titles, because it makes it easier for people to find a topic when they're looking for something in particular. :)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Guitarist

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
Ok, no problem, I perfectly understand. I'll make the thread when have some time  ;D

Thank you again
Regards