Author Topic: The audio recording function doesn't work properly on my Yamaha PSR S950  (Read 1564 times)

Offline notebleue

The audio recording function doesn't work properly on my Yamaha PSR S950. I tried several different flash drives (various capacities from different brands) but recording would abruptly stop after a minute or two. The display would say "Drive is busy". I formatted and reformatted these flash drives on the keyboard after each aborted attempt but to no avail. I only managed to record audio once (a 4-minute piece.) I usually record my pieces as songs and then play them back and try to record to USB.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:37:47 PM by notebleue »

Online DerekA

This is quite common - it is most likely down to the brand of the USB memory.

Yamaha publishes a list of brands that are likely to be compatible.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/downloads/content_data/index.html?k=&c=keyboards&l=en&p=2
S770

The following users thanked this post: notebleue

Offline Dick Rector

Make sure there is nothing else on the usb stick you are using or you will run into the problem you are describing. As you reformatted them as you said there shouldn't be. When I record I use a totally empty stick, after the recording I copy the content to another stick to work with.
As Derek said, it is a common problem with sticks not completely compatible with Yamaha keyboards.

PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline notebleue

Thank you very much, Dick and Derek. I'll try those recommended by Yamaha. I actually tried a 2GB Verbatim flash before but I'm not sure what the model is. How do I check what model it is when I need buy it?

Offline Joe H

I'm currently using a 8 GB USB 3.0 Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 with my S970 and have not had problems with it.  It writes a little faster , and will read faster.  Prior to this drive I used a USB 2.0 Verbatim 4GB drive. It worked fine for about 4 years and then developed problems.  4GB drives are harder to find these days.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline notebleue

Thanks a lot for the tip, Joe!

I've used plethora of sticks in my S950, when I had one: a Corsair 8 GB Voyager Mini, a 2 and 16 GB noname, a 16 GB SanDisk compact, and a Corsair Voyager 32 GB USB3.0, all without problems. What I did do, though, is format the larger ones via the keyboard, so not via the PC.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline notebleue

Thank you, Robert. It's very helpful.

Offline carlosvale

usa una unidad usb de 2 gigas eso es todo mi estimado no le des mas vuelta al asunto y veras como se soluciona tu problema al instante con la grabacion de audio -

Offline travlin-easy

If the USB drive works as a storage device and you can access those files, then the USB drive is just fine, however, you may have to change some settings on the audio recorder.

First, be sure the repeat mode is turned OFF. This is important.

Also, be sure there are no numbers in the A-B mode, as this would limit the amount of recording time.

Next, set the recording volume down to about 70, which prevents overdriving of audio and distortion.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline notebleue

Re: The audio recording function doesn't work properly on my Yamaha PSR S950
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »
Thank you, Gary. I bought a Corsair Voyager 8GB, and it's working fine on my keyboard.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 01:40:41 PM »
Glad to hear your problems have been solved.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Enildo

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 07:43:12 AM »
Hello!

This always happened to me when I had a "pendrive" of only 4GB, when replacing for an 8GB the problem went away.
Today I'm using a 16GB one and this problem never happened.

I hope I have helped. Hug,

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline panos

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
From the users manual :

(PSR-S950) The instrument supports USB 1.1 and 2.0.

notice that usb 2.0 is an "older" usb that you can find on market,
the latest usb is the 3.1 (faster than 2.0).
so the connection of an 3.0 usb to a 2.0 usb port may not always work.
I had the same problem so i use 2.0 usbs on my s750.