Author Topic: Dull sound on Yamaha PSR S950  (Read 1064 times)

Offline notebleue

Dull sound on Yamaha PSR S950
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »
I've had my S950 for about two years. Sometimes it sounds crisp but then the sound becomes dull and muffled, as if someone cut off high frequencies. I though first that it was only a problem with the styles I created myself but today even the factory preset styles sound like this after I've turned it on. Is it some setting that I inadvertently hit or is it a general problem with the keyboard? Did someone else had the same experience?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline GregB

Re: Dull sound on Yamaha PSR S950
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 11:15:58 PM »
The first things to try would be to check the master EQ and channel EQ, as well as getting someone else's opinion on the audio quality to make sure your own hearing is OK. :)

After that, try the keyboard's builtin self-test feature.
- With the keyboard OFF, hold down a C# major chord in the second octave (C#2, F2, G#2), and press the power button.
- The keyboard will power on to a blue screen with TEST in white writing.
- Use the silver dial to select 012 MultiAmp Low Check, press the style Start/Stop to start the test and Start/Stop to end the test.  Be sure to listen to both the left and right woofers.
- Then dial 013 MultiAmp High Check, again use the style Start/Stop button to start/end the test.  Be sure to listen to both the left and right tweeters.

The PSR-S950 is bi-amped, so there are four digital power amps - tweeter amps for left and right, and woofer amps for left and right.  If for some reason the digital power amp IC that powers the tweeters is malfunctioning or has a bad solder connection, you might lose both tweeters' sound, resulting in dull sound output.

I should add -- you could also plug in an MP3 player to the aux in audio port, and see if that audio is also affected.  If so, yes the problem is probably in the tweeter power amp, but if the MP3 player audio is fine, definitely look at the channel/master EQ settings.

Greg
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:18:44 PM by GregB »
PSR-S950
PSR-520
1920 Bush & Lane Upright Grand

The following users thanked this post: notebleue

Offline notebleue

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »
Thank you, Greg.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 08:28:53 AM »
Before doing anything else, perform a factory reset of the keyboard by holding down the rightmost white key while turning the keyboard on. This will reset the keyboard to factory default settings.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline notebleue

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
Before doing anything else, perform a factory reset of the keyboard by holding down the rightmost white key while turning the keyboard on. This will reset the keyboard to factory default settings.

Good luck,

Gary 8)

Thank you, Gary. I need to hold down the rightmost white key while the start-up screen is loading, correct? Or do I press the key and and the power button simultaneously? Do I need to hold down the key until the screen has loaded?

Offline DonM

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:08:23 PM »
Yes, hold the key, then press the power button.  Continue holding the key until the keyboard powers on.
P. S.   Gary is asleep.  :)
DonM

Offline notebleue

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »
Thank you, Don  :)