Author Topic: Genos or Tyros 6  (Read 16050 times)

Offline Ingar

Genos or Tyros 6
« on: June 18, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »

Offline EileenL

Re: Genos or Tyros 6
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:43:03 AM »
We have seen this so many times now its not funny anymore.
  Just sit back until there is something definite to see and talk about. October is not that far away.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:59 AM »
This video adds absolutely nothing and is pure click-bait. If you watch this video, the maker of it earns a bit of money by playing an ad before the video shows.

I agree with Eileen: This is not funny anymore.

Maarten

The following users thanked this post: Joe H

Online ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
Hi

Anyone got a time machine for sale???? 8)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »
Oh please don't wish you life away. Time passes very quickly as it is.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
Hi

Anyone got a time machine for sale???? 8)

You don't need a time machine John,  Just find an old PSR 400 and an Atari computer and you will be good to go. 

;D    ;D    ;D

Joe H 
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 05:20:39 AM »
Quantum Dude!! 8)

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 10:51:41 AM »
What if any new, major upgrade turns out to be for the PSR line and not the Tyros.  Would that surprise anyone?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »
It will probably be some time before we see a new PSR S update. They are usually about eighteen months after a new flagship launch.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »
Will the new flagship be called Genos or will it be called Tyros again ?

Or ... can we expect 2 new high end arranger kbs soon :
 a Genos and a Tyros6 ?  😂

Genos = exclusive line ? 76 keys only - black colour ?
Tyros6 = less expensive high end serie ? 61 keys only - silver colour ?

And what about the future PSR S brand name ?

Or ... will the PSR S be called Tyros S in the future ?

Or ... will the Tyros brand name no longer be used ?

Or ...  all stupid questions 🐸 ?

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:14:00 PM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 10:59:37 PM »
I'd like to see a Yamaha arranger much like the S970 without speakers... with some nice upgrades.

joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 01:19:06 AM »

Hi Joe :

Do you mean the S970 successor should come without built in speakers or are you talking about the T5 successor that will come soon ?  ::)

As far as I know most S970 owners are very happy with the present S970 speaker system to avoid extra weight and space. ;)

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 07:39:53 AM »
Jeff,

I'm talking about a NEW arranger model with the looks, size and weight of the S970 without amplifier and speakers (which would actually make it even lighter), put the money into (instead of amp and speakers) 8 fully programmable sliders plus a master fader and 8 encoder knobs, and maybe a ribbon controller too.  Add a 1000 more arps and a 110,000 note on-board sequencer and a couple of gigs of memory. The Modulation Wheel should be fully programmable, and 3 foot pedal inputs all fully programmable to send any MIDI controller message or After Touch.

The Tyros has never had to be so big. It's always been a rather clunky design in my opinion.

This new arranger I would like to see would no longer be called a PSR (without speakers)... and I don't care what name Yamaha would give it.

Give me a machine like that with the right upgrades to StyleMagic and I would have my dream setup for life! 

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:24:34 AM by Joe H »

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 07:48:02 AM »
I think the judgement call for manufacturers is whether a keyboard in the PSR price range would sell sufficiently well without internal speakers. Yamaha obviously believes that the majority of people buying in this segment of the market want a complete package and do not want to be bothered with external speaker systems. You can make arguments both ways because many people buy PSRs then upgrade speakers anyway, but then again, many do not.
Mike

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »
Mike,

Read again... I'm talking about a new arranger model that is something in between the current TOTL PSR and the Tyros.

It's time for a change. As a piano player, you are NOT a typical arranger owner by any means. There are a whole lot of people with quite different interests. So don't judge Yamaha's possible future keyboard designs according to your own preferences. 

Things are going to change. Nothing stays the same forever.  We may even see that change coming very soon.  Yamaha has a long history of innovation, I don't think their arranger keyboards will stay the same forever.  The S970 hints at and reflects that notion.  The Montage also represents a "new generation" performance keyboard, so why not a "new generation" arranger as well?

Regards,
Joe H

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:00:19 AM by Joe H »

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
OK. 😃
That would be a great and super upgrade, Joe !
Let us cross our fingers !

I am just wondering if the Tyros brand name will be continued or not.
It might be important for many players, I guess. ::)

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline John K

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
Joe,

You sound like you want a new Motif with styles  ;D  Motyros or Mopsr?  :D

Best Regards

Offline Joe H

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »
John,

No... if you read my description, basically I'm looking for a slim and trim Tyros with the S970 arpeggiator and some serious fader controls instead of those toy ones found on the current Tyros.  The Motif Performances and Multis play like a half-way toy arranger already, why not just make an arranger with the Motif real-time performance capabilities?

Bachus,

My configuration is more realistic than what you have been promoting. The S970 is already going in that direction. My arranger would still be a "sit and play" instrument, but would just have the capabilities as noted above... a "better mouse trap" if you will!

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:34:36 AM by Joe H »

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 02:10:24 AM »
Is there such a thing as the typical arranger player?

If there is, I'm not sure I fit the profile. I'm a guitarist, first and foremost (it's how I learned chords and what later allowed me to get my head around chords on the keyboard). I fell into using keyboards because MIDI happened and suddenly anyone could have a recording studio in their bedroom if they had an Atari ST and a copy of TigerCub. And, via several keyboards, PCs, drum machines and sequencers, it's how I eventually found my way to owning a Tyros 5. I'm not a trained pianist and don't read music. I understand chord shapes on the guitar and keyboard and the Tyros seemed to offer the idea of a 'backing band' for my compositions. To a degree - a large degree - it does.

But I doubt I'm the target market for the T5. I don't play live (I'm a studio noodler), I don't have the first idea how to play 'proper' piano and I always use the AI accompaniment across the whole keyboard (melody hardly gets a look in) simply to build backing tracks I can later embellish in Cubase with VSTi plugins.

On the one hand, the T5 does exactly what I want it to do, so perhaps that's the point, on the other I'm fairly sure the way I use my T5 is pretty much an insult to 'elite T5 players'. I only have to watch Peter Baartmans to see how shallow my experience on the T5 really is. :-[ I've had my T5 for over a year now and still haven't unpacked any of the foot pedals - I just wouldn't know what to do with them!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:11:48 AM by CalUKGR »
Yamaha Genos | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Hollande

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 03:25:20 AM »
Hi Cal,

Like you I was also a ( left handed ) guitar player.
I broke two fingers and playing my favourite instrument was no longer possible. :'(

I had no choice : the arranger keyboard was my only option if I wanted to continue my passion : writing songs.

I have sold my two so loved guitars : a Fender Strat and a Fender Telecaster and bought me a brand new Tyros1 in 2002.

Then I learned to work with progs like Yamaha XGWorks and Cakewalk. Nowadays Sonar Platinum is my most important tool.
It took me a couple of years to understand what the possibilities of midi could offer me. 
These progs opened a brand new world for me and finally the arranger kb became my instrument.

Daily I am still learning a lot of keyboard tricks.

Thanks to the input of many members of this group and other internet Forum members the arranger keyboard became a loyal friend.

But in my heart I will always stay a guitar player. ;)

Best regards, Jeff

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:44:06 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 04:23:18 AM »
Hi Cal,

Like you I was also a ( left handed ) guitar player.
I broke two fingers and playing my favourite instrument was no longer possible. :'(

But in my heart I will always stay a guitar player. ;)

Best regards, Jeff

Always. It's so good that you didn't let your accident set you back. I developed tinnitus in one ear a good few years ago, but it doesn't stop me playing music. Life goes on, and creative people find ways to remain creative despite the setbacks and hurdles life throws at us. You know you're always going to have a special affinity for guitar - and happily the Tyros 5 is an incredible keyboard for anyone who wants to indulge in a wealth of amazing-sounding acoustics and electrics. The guitars on that thing are stunning!

My first love was guitar and, despite the wonders of modern MIDI music (and it is wonderful), I still find myself going back to my lovely Yamaha 12-string acoustic-electric when I just want to get some ideas worked out. When I was a kid, just learning guitar (my first two songbooks were The Songs of David Bowie and The ELO Anthology - truefax! - and still have them both!), I could always hear a bigger arrangement going on in my head... well, along came the early 80s and MIDI. And - along with everyone else - I could suddenly have that lush string orchestra I'd always imagined. It's amazing. I guess you had to grow up during a time when recording studios were the exclusive purview of the professional and wealthy to really understand how MIDI changed everything for ordinary kids like so many of us. That 'other world' of recording was suddenly opened up and made affordable. I haven't been quite the same since.

My Tyros 5 represents all those dreams I had back then, struggling to work out chord shapes and imagining how much better it would all sound if I could only just get access to a recording studio full of musicians and hi-end gear. Now the only thing that frustrates me is my lack of musicianship, but I guess we're never too old too keep practicing and learning.

Yamaha Genos | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 04:51:42 AM »
I will be 70 at the end of October 2017.

I have been working in pro studio's long before midi was exisiting.
A great time but now we can do so much at home, alone and I love it.

Cheers, Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 06:10:09 AM »
Hi Cal,

It looks like you are very happy with your T5.😄

If I have read one of your messages well, your great kb is only 1 year old, right ?

Do you have the intention to upgrade soon ?

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:12:05 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline mikf

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 07:07:20 AM »
Joe
 The comment on speakers had nothing to do with my preferences, I actually prefer no speakers since I think the onboard speakers on PSRs were poor and didn't use them. It is just a comment that Yamaha seem to have a protocol where certain keyboards have internal speakers and seems to be related to price point. I guess they believe that is what the market wants, nothing more than that. Like you suggest, Yamaha might decide to slip in a slightly higher spec instrument somewhere between the current PSR and the Tyros, but I can see that being problematic for them.
Bachus - As far as 'what are typical arranger players', I think that there is a broad definition. It is someone who uses the keyboard to play live with accompaniment. They may also do other things to a greater or lesser degree, like recording, editing or even creating styles and sounds, but largely to support the basic premise of playing live music with accompaniment. I don't think it matters what instrument they come from, organ, piano, guitar or none at all. And there is a wide range of skill levels, from beginner to accomplished. They all fall into the category of arranger players. Maybe others would disagree with that definition, but I believe it is where the instrument is targeted, and will continue to be targeted.
it is true that there are enough workstation like features on the arrangers - especially top end - for many people to enjoy the keyboard for other reasons than primarily playing with accompaniment. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I think of them as non typical. I think that this is where there might be disagreement, since I see many of the comments and suggestions on new features being about increasing that type of user and blurring the line between arrangers and workstations. We will see over time where that goes.
Mike

Offline Joe H

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
... but, the top layer of "any" arranger should be sit and play easy acces no worries and enjoy...

I think we are in complete agreement on that, and many things on our wish list are the same including more and better real-time control options. I don't find synth-like on-board Voice editing that important. Yamaha arrangers are XG instruments and I doubt that will ever change.  This means that the Panel Voices are programmed a certain way for us to use Voice Set. 

Joe H

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 07:46:27 AM »
Hi Cal,

It looks like you are very happy with your T5.

If I have read one of your messages well, your great kb is only 1 year old, right ?

Do you have the intention to upgrade soon ?

Jeff

Yeah, I got my Tyros 5 just over a year ago. I've had a troubled relationship with it, never sure if it was what I really wanted or not, but I know it can do just about anything I would want from a top-end workstation keyboard (a lot more than many) so I've reconciled myself to those things I'm not so happy about (which I have to admit are inconsequential niggles I have with it).

In the end, it's an amazing bit of kit and there's no two ways about it. I won't be in a position again to spend out like I did for the Tyros 5, so it's a case of just getting on with it. Even if I wanted to trade-up to whatever the new Yamaha arranger will be I'm going to lose money on the Tyros 5 and still have to find a few £thousand to purchase the new keyboard. I just don't see that happening. There is a good argument - which Eileen makes repeatedly here - that maybe we should all just learn to appreciate what we actually have. By any measure, the T5 is a wonder.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:47:30 AM by CalUKGR »

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »
Cal,

Why should you kill a winning horse and loose a lot of money. :o

This keyboard market is completely different than the guitar market.
Once a guitar player has bought his favourite guitar, he mostly will keep it for the rest of his life.

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline ash1

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 10:05:51 AM »
i think as soon as the tyros 6 is released  ;D
a few months down the line people will be saying when is the tyros 7 coming out lol
a few years back when the tyros 1 came out we all thought this was the best arranger since slice bread
now we are on tyros version 5
the tyros and psr range are big purchase ticket items
so for many the reason for trading up from there tyros or psr to the next has to make sense financially and to the enjoyment we get from our tyros/psr keyboards

Offline EileenL

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 05:33:14 AM »
Well we all have to pay for our tools for a job or our hobbies. I consider the money I lose when changing keyboards is well worth the enjoyment I have had using it. It would cost you more doing lotteries and playing Bingo then a keyboard change dose. Roll on the next one.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 07:43:43 AM »
Wished it was so easy to buy a new keyboard, Eileen. :'(

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline maartenb

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »
My Tyros 5 represents all those dreams I had back then, struggling to work out chord shapes and imagining how much better it would all sound if I could only just get access to a recording studio full of musicians and hi-end gear.
Hi Cal,

Just being curious. Since you use the computer for creating backing tracks from chords, have you ever considered Band In A Box? Because BIAB knows the chords beforehand, it can theoretically create better backings than the Tyros, which has to decide what to do in real time. For example, BIAB can create very realistic bass melody lines, because it know what chord "to walk towards".

Maarten
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:18:29 AM by maartenb »

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 02:07:51 AM »
Hi Cal,

Just being curious. Since you use the computer for creating backing tracks from chords, have you ever considered Band In A Box? Because BIAB knows the chords beforehand, it can theoretically create better backings than the Tyros, which has to decide what to do in real time. For example, BIAB can create very realistic bass melody lines, because it know what chord "to walk towards".

Maarten

Hi, I do actually have BIAB (the latest version, too - I upgraded again last year). It is very good, but it's not great, especially once you stray too far from the country/jazz scene. Initially quite intriguing, I have to say I barely ever use it now. Just not flexible enough, I'm afraid, and also can get very expensive, very quickly if you allow yourself to be tempted by the endless expansions.

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline maartenb

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 11:48:54 PM »
@Moderator,

I think this thread is better positioned in "the Next Yamaha keyboard".

Maarten

Online ugawoga

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »
Hi Bachus

It is called politcal correctness!! :) ;D

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
More like "positional correctness" I'd have thought :o ;)

John

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
For what itís worth, count me in as another guitar player, who got into arrangers to improve my backing tracks for live work.  I bounce around between gigs, using either Yamaha arrangers, or the latest Band In A Box version, while on guitar with vocals and instrumentals.  I decide which to use, depending on circumstances.  Itís the best of two musical worlds, I guess.

Offline billtracy

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »
For what itís worth, count me in as another guitar player, who got into arrangers to improve my backing tracks for live work.  I bounce around between gigs, using either Yamaha arrangers, or the latest Band In A Box version, while on guitar with vocals and instrumentals.  I decide which to use, depending on circumstances.  Itís the best of two musical worlds, I guess.

Same here. I was a bass player when I worked in bands. I played in nursing homes for 9 years using a combination of Band In A Box/EZ Drummer/Arrangers for backing tracks and played rhythm guitar. Took a break mostly for health reasons. Actually, I would like to see Yamaha and the other members of the "big three" go in the direction of having styles using audio tracks for the drums and guitars similar to what PG Music does. Of course, Ketron does this already, but besides being pricy they have had quality control issues with their software, although some swear by them. Anyway, arrangers are an incredible tool for both recording and live work.
Current: Korg PA900, KRK Rokit 5s & 8S sub.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland E-A7.

Offline Hermann

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Hey Together!

My name is Hermann and I'm from Germany. The german homepage of Yamaha (Yamaha.de) informs us, that starting November 6/2017 there will be nationwide, daily keyboard presentations. Yamahas event list also shows the specific locations and the keyboard presenters. By the names of the presenters it is absolutely clear, that the successor of TYROS5 will be disclosed. I thought this would be of interest to you! There is however no hint, what the name of the new key will be  :)))))
I will see the new flagship at my dealer on Nov 8/2017.

With best Regards
Hermann.

The following users thanked this post: dragon, Jeff Hollande

Offline maartenb

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 11:45:45 PM »
Hi Hermann,

Thanks for taking the effort to register on this forum and give us your message.

However, I can't find the information you are sharing. On the home page of yamaha.de (which redirects to de.yamaha.com) there is no such announcement. Also nothing in the news section of the site.

Maybe I am overlooking something? Or did Yamaha delete the news item and list of presentations?

Could you please provide a direct link to the news?

Thank you,

Maarten

Offline Hermann

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 12:17:30 AM »
Hey Maarten,

here is the link to Yamahas event list:

https://de.yamaha.com/de/products/contents/keyboards/eventlist/

I hope it works. If not, please let me know.

Thanks in advance! 

Hermann.

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Offline maartenb

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2017, 07:08:30 AM »
Thanks Hermann, that works beautifully. The event list was hidden under "Special Content"... 

Anyway, impressive list with, among others, Peter Baartmans, Susan Albers and Heidrun Dolde. As far as I know, Heidrun only plays the keyboard, not piano, so that does suggest a keyboard event.

I tried the Dutch site and checked the "Special Content" of the keyboards, but nothing's there. Seems like a big promotion tour for and in Germany only!  ;)

Maarten
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:09:51 AM by maartenb »

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
It might be possible the new piano ( CSP ???? ) with arranger keyboard ( like S770 ) built in features will be demonstrated ?
Just a thought. 😉

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Hermann

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 12:13:01 AM »
Hey Guys,

Yes, Peter Baartmans is one of the most famos Yamaha Keyboard presenters in Europe, however he presents Clavinovas too. Manni Pichler presented Tyros5 4 years ago at my dealership. He also released books about Tyros5 operating instructions. Jens Huthoff held workshops about Tyros5 operating instructions. So, all 3 are the selected experts, which will introduce us in Germany to the Tyros5 successor. I have no doubt about that.

Hermann.   

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 12:23:03 AM »
Hi Hermann :

Can you confirm the Yamaha European dealer Genos presentation of September 18 and 19, 2017 in Berlin, plse ?

Thanks & best regards, Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Hermann

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 04:14:50 AM »
Hey Jeff,

I know, that the dealers will see and hear the Tyros5 successor in September, but they don't want to tell me the date and the location.

Sorry. I let you know, as soon as I have solid ...........really solid news.

Hermann.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »
Thank you for your feedback, Hermann.😄
Your words are confirming The Important Dealer Meeting.

Have a good evening !

Best wishes, Jeff
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:47:08 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline CuckiT5

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
an italian friend  told me  that the name could be so: Yamaha   GenOS

Offline entertain70

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 12:31:29 AM »
GENeration OS
Maybe an all new User Interface?
Genos | S90ES | Roland A800pro | Mainstage

Online Oldden

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 12:54:53 AM »
Yes I think you could be right. GENOS may well be an acronym. The OS part standing for operating system. Not long to wait now.
Oldden

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 01:48:23 AM »
Very interesting !😄

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN