Author Topic: Second-hand PSR E443 - wise choice?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline vbdx66

Second-hand PSR E443 - wise choice?
« on: May 13, 2017, 07:28:38 AM »
Hello,

Some years ago I had a PSR E433 with which I was very happy, which I eventually sold to buy a DGX 640 then DGX 650 because I wanted to focus more on piano playing. Now I feel I am missing some of the 'sound tweaking' features of the PSR E433 so I'd like to buy again a keyboard in this line.

So,far my choices are:

- a new PSR E453 (about 300)
- a used PSR E443 (about 200 plus 15 postage)

I am also considering a used Korg PA 300 ( 400, I am trying to get the price a bit lower).

So, would you say the PSR E443 is a good choice or are the new sounds / features of the psr E453 worth the 100 more?

I am tempted by the Korg PA 300 because I'd like to try the Korg sounds and styles, also,I suspect it is a more capable instrument than the PSR E series (maybe more in the line of the PSR S series as far as the capabilities are concerned?).

So if you owned / are owning now one or more of the aforementioned keyboards, please be as kind as to give me your opinions.

Thanks for helping,

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Second-hand PSR E443 - wise choice?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 08:58:39 AM »
If I remember correctly, the PSR-E453 doesn't have a lot of new voices compared to the PSR-E443. The main differences between them are the addition of USB audio, the increased polyphony, and the new DSP effects.

So if one or more of those differences is important to you, I'd recommend getting the PSR-E453.

But if none of those differences matter to you, the PSR-E443 sounds like a better bargain.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:16:18 AM »
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your advice. I had completely forgotten about the DSP and the live knobs, which probably make the PSR E453 a much better bargain than its predecessor the PSR E443. Also the price difference between the second-hand PSR E443 I have seen and a new PSR E453 with a 2-year warranty is only of about 40, so I'll probably go for the PSR E453, except if an used Korg PA 300 comes out of the blue at a reasonable price ;-)

That said, trying to find some info about the PSR E453, I chanced to find some about Yamaha's two new budget keyboards, the PSR E363 and EW 300. The first will be replacing the PSR E353 and the second is meant as the little brother of the EW 400, it is essentially a PSR E363 with 76 keys. Incredible what Yamaha has been putting in these budget keyboards lately (the EW 300 with its 76 dynamic keys has a price tag under the 300 !).

Do you think the arrival of'the PSR E363 means that the E463 will already be coming out next year? I am quite curious to see what Yamaha will add to the PSR E453 / EW400, these keyboards are already jam packed with incredible features.

Thanks again for your advice and best regards,

Vinciane

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:00:06 AM »
I was thinking the same thing -- unless cost is of a major concern, for the difference in price, I'd definitely go with the E453, over a used E443, when taking into consideration the added polyphony of 48 notes instead of 32 notes, the DSP effects, the USB audio output, and the new product warranty.  However, some posts on here indicate that the USB audio output may not be as flexible as some people may need, in that it does not appear that the keyboard's main volume control has an effect on the output level of the audio through USB -- but that is just based on one thread posted here within the past month or two.

As for an E463, since Yamaha seems to release these keyboards every 2 years like clockwork, with the E2 and E3 series being released on odd numbered years and the E4 series being released on even numbered years, I have no reason to doubt that an E463 would be released next year, but that is pure speculation.  I would also have no idea as to what changes Yamaha would make to such a keyboard over the E453.

A word about the DSP effects.  Yamaha implemented them in a really bizarre way.  There are about 10 DSP effects (Phaser, Distortion, Rotary Speaker, etc.), and their speed and intensity/depth can be controlled by the rotary knobs.  You can save the desired effect to a registration, as well as the speed and intensity/depth settings, but you cannot save the DSP's on/off status to a registration!  So, if you have one registration where you want to use, say, the phaser, and another registration where you don't want any DSP effect, you have to manually make sure that DSP is ON when you want to use the registration with the phaser, but if you leave DSP on when you call up the registration where you want no DSP effect, you will get whatever DSP settings that were defaulted when that registration was saved.  Like I said, really bizarre that Yamaha let's you save all of that, but did not allow saving the additional 1 bit of information that could tell the keyboard to have DSP switched on or off.

Fortunately, there is a bit of a workaround.  One of the DSP settings is a low pass filter (and this is in addition to the low pass filter that is part of the regular effects that are already available on the control knobs).  When I tested the keyboard in the store, when I turned on the DSP low pass filter, then set the knobs to provide minimum effect -- meaning turning the cutoff all the way up to allow all frequencies through and turning the resonance all the way down -- I could not hear any difference when I switched DSP on and off at that point.  So, the workaround is to set DSP to those settings (low pass filter with maximum cutoff and minimum resonance) for registrations where you want no DSP effect, while setting the DSP to the effect you want for registrations where you do want a DSP effect.  Then, any time you play the keyboard and intend to use your registrations, just make sure DSP is switched on, and you'll get the DSP effect for the registrations where you want it, but no noticeable DSP effect on registrations where you do not want it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:01:49 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »
Hello Bob and yhanks for your input :-) The trick with the DSP effects is a really nice one, I'll try to use it if I finally get the PSR E453.

Regards,

Vinciane

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »
Greetings Madam,
Please let us know if you got the E453 or E443, or some other; and your valuable inputs regarding the KB.
I was highly interested in E443, but it was not made available for sale in my country, so I need to know its overall keybed feel.
Anupam
PSR-E453

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 11:57:46 PM »
Hello Sir

I got the PSR E433 some time ago and it had a bery nice keybed. I tried the PSR E443 and did not like the keybed at all.
If you can find an used PSR E433 at a bargain price get it, it is a very nice keyboard and I regret that I don't have it any more. I never tried the PSR E453 so I cannot tell you how the keybed feels.

If it is available in  your country, the PSR E453 might be a better choice because it has more functions, including nice DSP effects that were not on the previous models.

If you like to play piano pieces, the PSR EW400 has 76 keys and a much better piano sound than the PSR E453, otherwise it has the same sounds, styles and functions (it also has two separate stereo outputs).

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 03:27:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply Madam,
I already got an E-453 for me last month, and I am loving it. I was curious to know about the predecessor models, which had better keybed arrangement.
Anupam
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 07:22:37 AM »
I've got a PSR-E433 and a PSR-E443. To be honest, I can't tell much difference between them. The keys on the PSR-E433 do seem to spring back a tiny bit quicker than the keys on the PSR-E443, but the difference is very slight-- almost imperceptible-- and doesn't bother me at all, although I can see how it might be a problem for people who play better/faster than I do!
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443