Author Topic: Psr e453 learner.  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Gerry

Psr e453 learner.
« on: April 26, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm Gerry and I'm still very much an amateur in playing and operating a keyboard. Please kindly assist me with the following

1) I'm using E453 so i want to record my music in my computer, have connected USB cable to host but nothing is showing so please kindly assist with all the procedures to be taken.

2) The keyboard has only 2 days after I bought it but some of the styles are no longer playing but I used them first day I bought it. What could have I done? Please kindly assist

Kind regards

Gerry
#Gerry

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Psr e453 learner.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:27:47 AM »
What software are you using on the computer? When you say that nothing is showing, where are you not seeing it? And are you trying to record the keyboard's audio data or MIDI data?

The PSR-E453 is class-compliant, so in theory you shouldn't need to install the Yamaha driver on your computer. But there could be things that interfere with this, in which case you might need to install the Yamaha driver. Just be sure it's the correct driver-- the one for both USB MIDI and USB audio, as well as the one for your particular operating system. Also, be sure you follow the driver installation instructions-- in particular, you must be sure that the keyboard is connected to the computer and turned on (in that order) before launching the driver installation. If you think something went wrong during the installation, you might want to uninstall the driver and then go through the correct installation process again.

As for your second question, have all of the styles stopped playing, or just certain ones? If none of the styles seem to play, go into the Function menu and make sure you didn't set the Style Volume to 0; the default setting is 100. If it's just certain styles that seem to be affected, you might need to have your keyboard checked by a Yamaha-certified technician to be sure there's nothing wrong with it. Or you could try resetting the keyboard to its factory default settings by following the instructions in the manual for clearing the Flash memory and clearing the Backup memory (they are two separate procedures)-- but be warned that this will wipe out anything you've saved on the keyboard, such as User Songs, Registrations, or User Styles, as well as any files you've transferred to the computer's internal memory using the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader program, so be sure to save a backup of anything you want to keep before you reset the keyboard.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Gerry

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 02:28:28 AM »
Thanks Sea for your helpful response. Correct Yamaha driver was installed, just realised that the cable I'm using is too long about 4 metres so need to find short one. When I insert USB cable, laptop now reads '' USB not recognized ''

Concerning styles, certain ones are not playing, some are playing so I will probably have to reset as per your suggestion.
#Gerry

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 03:17:12 AM »
One more thing about USB that I forgot to say. You need to be sure that you're using USB 2, not USB 3. I think USB 3 ports tend to have some blue coloring visible inside the port itself, whereas USB 2 ports don't. I'm not sure if there's a way to tell whether a cable is USB 2 or USB 3.

USB 3 is supposed to be backwards-compatible with USB 2, but I guess the success of that may depend on the two devices you're connecting together-- that is, I'm not sure whether the keyboard can make any necessary adjustments on its end, even if the computer presumably can.

At any rate, Yamaha specifically says in the Owner's Manual that you should use USB 2.

I'm not sure whether plugging a USB 2 cable into a USB 3 port on the computer will work-- possibly the computer will be able to detect that it's a USB 2 cable and downgrade the USB connection accordingly. But it could be that if you're using a USB 3 cable plugged into a USB 3 port on the computer, it's affecting how the data is transmitted, received, or interpreted-- presumably due to data speeds, since USB 3 can use faster data speeds than USB 2 can.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Gerry

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
Ok, I will look for USB 2 and try again. Thanks so much.
#Gerry