Author Topic: Transpose Each Split Voice Separately  (Read 977 times)

Offline danika

Transpose Each Split Voice Separately
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
The user manual of my PSR-E353 doesn't address transposing each Split Voice separately.  Can anyone help me figure that out?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Transpose Each Split Voice Separately
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
The user manual of my PSR-E353 doesn't address transposing each Split Voice separately.  Can anyone help me figure that out?

Can't be done.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:52:34 PM »
Could you explain what you are trying to accomplish? Are you asking about transposing by whole octaves, which is usually called an octave shift; or are you asking about transposing by a number of semitones? If by chance you do mean the latter, the only way I know how to do that is by connecting your PSR-E353 to a computer and using a DAW to transpose each MIDI channel by differing amounts. But if there's some specific goal that you have in mind-- such as layering two voices that are separated by a fifth (seven semitones)-- then it might be possible to accomplish it using your keyboard's Harmony feature.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline danika

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
Thanks for responding.  Looks like I can't get what I want.

To answer the other question about octaves vs. semitones, I would like to transpose each octaves separately because after I set the split point, the right side is too high for playing so I need to transpose it down an octave.  However, when I do that, the left side is too low.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »
What you are describing in your latest post is 'octave shift' rather than transposing.

According to the 'Function List' starting on page 40 of the E353 Owner's Manual, you can use the 'Octave' Function to vary the octave by up to plus and minus 2 octaves for all three voices.

Main Voice :  Function 010  'M.Octave',  Dual Voice :  Function 014 'D.Octave',   Split Voice :  Function 018 'S.Octave'

Try this to see if it does what you want.

Regards

Ian

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
I agree-- if you're talking about shifting in octaves versus transposing in semitones, then you should be able to do what you want.

However, one trick to remember is that you should always start by selecting the Main Voice you want to use, before selecting the Dual or Split Voice or changing any other settings. This is because when you select the Main Voice, the keyboard usually changes many of the other settings to certain default preset values which have been especially selected by Yamaha for that particular Main Voice. So you should not try to change the Dual Voice, Split Voice, Harmony Type, Reverb Type, and other settings-- including the octave offsets for the three voice parts-- until after you've chosen your Main Voice.

Another trick is to remember that the Transpose setting applies to all three voice parts, and that the octave offset for each of the three voice parts is based off of (that is, applied on top of) the Transpose setting-- so if you were to set the Main Voice's Octave to +2, each key would play the Main Voice at two octaves above whatever note the Transpose setting has changed that particular key to be. Also, since you can transpose the keyboard from -12 semitones to +12 semitones, you can combine the Transpose setting with the three Octave settings to shift the keyboard by as much as -3 octaves to +3 octaves.

I suspect that where you've gone wrong is that you've set the Split Octave as desired, but then you've used Transpose to shift the Main Voice to the desired octave.

Ideally, the order of your steps might be as follows:

(1) Select the Main Voice you want to use, followed by the Dual Voice and/or Split Voice if desired. Don't change any of the voice parameters yet.

(2) Select the Transpose setting you want to use. Stick to a Transpose setting of 0 as much as possible, unless you need to transpose to another key for some reason. If you use a non-zero Transpose setting, remember that you can transpose up or down to a particular key-- for instance, to transpose from the key of C to the key of G you can transpose either up 7 semitones or down 5 semitones-- so give a little thought to whether you want the keyboard to be shifted up or down in tone. It's probably best to choose the smaller change-- for instance, going down 5 semitones is less of a change than going up 7 semitones-- but that's up to you. Also, don't use Transpose to shift the keyboard up or down an entire octave (+12 semitones or -12 semitones) unless you really need to for some reason (for instance, to let you shift one of the three voice parts by a total of 3 octaves).

(3) Finally, set all of the other functions and parameters as desired, including the Main Octave, Dual Octave, and Split Octave.
Michael Rideout

Offline danika

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »
Thanks. M. Octave is what I needed. 

It looks like I can't save any of these settings when I turn the synth off.  Is there any way to do that?

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
Yes, once you have the voices, effects, and other settings the way you want them, you can save them to a Registration Memory for later recall.
Michael Rideout