Author Topic: playing over solos  (Read 854 times)

Offline alecras234

playing over solos
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »
Hi i have a yamaha psr e453, i want to build up a list of songs to play but there's something holding me back, what to play once the melody stops and the guitar solo plays.   I always get stuck at this point,  i have tried improvising using the Eflat pentatonic scale as the guitar solo is in Eflat but im not very good.  As a result of not knowing what to play during these guitar solos, i don't play my keyboard much.  Can you advise me in any way please?

Online DrakeM

Re: playing over solos
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 05:38:37 AM »
Start off simple at first and figure out the the first 4 to 8 notes of the solo that are on the actual recording.

Then simply ad lib the rest nobody generally cares or remembers the record except die hard fans (maybe). The more song solos you learn in this way the better your solo playing will get. You will slowly begin to memorize the patterns and make them your own and will be able to throw them into other songs at any time.

Also listen to the recording for "signature licks and/or riffs" in song ... LEARN THEM. You will be able to add them to your solo playing as well.

I play by ear and I play the notes in a blues scale (I think) and I have also learn to BEND the notes as I am playing, which allows me to vary the sound of the licks I use.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:43:34 AM by DrakeM »

Offline mikf

Re: playing over solos
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:35:26 AM »
Are you playing by ear or following the dots?
If you cannot play by ear you will never learn to play improvised breaks. You would need to have them written down. If you do play by ear, start out by copying what others do. Listening and copying is the key to learning to improvise. To progress to playing good improvised original passages, needs a lot of practice, musical imagination and and some decent musical knowledge. As Drake says over time you will develop your own style, build a 'library' of riffs and phrases you can throw together, and get better and better simply by trial and error. It is not something that happens quickly. When you hear your musical heroes playing great solos its not just luck or fast fingers. They know what they are doing and spent years and thousands of hours developing it. 
Mike