Author Topic: Replacing disk drive with memory stick USB port  (Read 936 times)

Offline foondoon

Replacing disk drive with memory stick USB port
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:31:32 PM »
I have a PSR-740, and I have seen kits advertised to replace the diskette drive with a USB port (the replacement unit is made for Yamaha keyboards, and fits in the space which the diskette drive occupies).   Has anybody made this conversion ?    Did it work okay ?
Doug
PSR-740

Re: Replacing disk drive with memory stick USB port
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:27:13 AM »
They do work, but they make lots of folders on the stick that you can only fill with 1.44MB of data, as they're virtual floppies. Great for midi files, but you do need to keep track of whats in each folder as you need to manually select the folder using the buttons on the usb floppy emulator.

But if your floppy is dead, go for it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
Hello :) If your floppy drive still works, use it. It is much easier to just write on the disks what is on them, than rumaging around in those folders! Floppies can still be purchased, and floppy drives for PC as well.  I recently bought a floppy drive for my PC, and am storing styles and music I make on my old keyboard on floppy disks. :)   
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
I have replaced the floppydrive for the mentioned 'simulator' in a 550 a 1000 a 2000 and 2 other models and it works like a treat. Have been using it in the psr 2000 since 2009 almost every day!! Without any problem.
Send me a pm with your email-address and I will send you extensive info about it. Peace of cake to change it as long as you order the correct one for your keyboard because there are many different models. Cost??? less than 30 US$
Yes you get 100 folders on the USB and you can load in each folder the same as on a floppy, about 35 styles or 30 midi's because your keyboard handles it as a floppydrive exactly the same as before.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950