Author Topic: psr 2100 can this use a USB flashdrive  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Larry Warner

psr 2100 can this use a USB flashdrive
« on: February 04, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
I have a psr 2100 in excellent condition and purchased bought new, back when they first came out..  On the back of the keyboard is a connection or outlet marked USB.
I was wondering if I had a cable for that connection and the other end to fit a USB flash drive, would the keyboard read the flash drive with my song styles on it?

Thanks to anyone for a reply.

Larry
Larry

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: psr 2100 can this use a USB flashdrive
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »
That depends on the type of connection. A squarish port-- usually labeled "USB TO HOST"-- will let you connect to a computer and use the USB for sending and receiving MIDI data [EDIT: and usually also for transferring song and style files from the computer to the keyboard's internal RAM, or vice versa]. A wide/flat, rectangular port-- usually labeled "USB TO DEVICE"-- will let you plug in a USB flash drive.

From what I see in the manual, the PSR-2100 has the squarish USB port for connecting to a computer or other USB host device, but not a rectangular USB port for plugging in a USB flash drive.

On the other hand, the PSR-2100 has a floppy disk drive, and there are third-party kits for replacing the floppy disk drive with a USB floppy drive emulator, which will let you plug in USB flash drives which are formatted like 100 floppy disks. Unfortunately, I have no experience or familiarity with those, so I can't point you to any particular one.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:29:38 PM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
Thank you very much for your reply.  On the keyboard it just says "USB" and after so many years and moving I do not know what happened to my manual.
I have heard about the floppy drive converters but did not want to go that way as I really don't mind using the floppy.  I do have a s950 also but I still use the 2100 as it is a great keyboard.

Again thank you very much.

Larry
Larry

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »
Both the 2000 and 2100 had USB host connections, which were great for linking the keyboard to your PC and using programs that allowed you to play midi files through the keyboard, or recording midi files from the keyboard to the PC. The connection will not allow you to access a USB storage device, though.

Gary :cool:
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
Larry, I replaced the floppydrive in my PSR 2000 for an USB floppy-emulator many YEARS ago and it is still working today without a problem. Send me a PM with your email-address if you are interested and I am more than happy to send you the info (although quite old) I have send to HUNDREDS of people over the years.

Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »
Thank you very much Gary and Dick.  I certainly appreciate your answers also.

After rethinking this over very carefully I believe I will not do any changes.  This May I will be 97 and since I have the 950 using a flash drive, I can continue using the 2100 floppy when needed.

Perhaps others who did not know about the USB floppy emulator may be interested since I posted tjhis

Thanks very much for your replies.

Larry
Larry

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
Hi Larry,

Here's a link to both the Owner's Manual and Service Manual for your keyboard.

https://app.box.com/s/2tmhuq9md0y4ejqi5wdxoo2djetxed8q
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
Thank you very much Roger, I appreciate that and will check it out.

Thanks again.

Larry

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 06:11:18 PM »
You're welcome, Larry.  I'm certain you will find useful information in the manuals.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline starliner1

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »
I used a floppy emulator on a psr 2100 without any problems, it was a straightforward swap with the floppy drive and easy to use.
You need to keep 01 clear to load new registrations, then cut and paste that reg. to a higher number. You will be able to load up to 99 registrations with this device