Author Topic: Style Recommender  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Marcus

Style Recommender
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:41:30 AM »
Came across a YouTube video that you might find useful or interesting. The Tyros arranger is just at home in a professional studio as it is in your own home, whether just for enjoyment or professional use.

Songwriting with the Yamaha Tyros5 Arranger Workstation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUW7ZSIJ4EE

Interesting how pro musicians can use the Tyros 5 "Style Recommender" to assist in accessing a suitable style to help get their musical ideas realized quickly or make a quick demo.

I haven't used the Style Recommender feature myself, because I am fairly familiar with all the factory styles, but the Recommend button is easily found on the bottom of the Tyros screen when in Style mode. (see photo)

Marcus

Gear: Triangle

Offline browzer

Re: Style Recommender
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:53:50 AM »
Marcus,

Here is another link which covers the "Style Recommender" which is also a feature of the s970.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBeT8JMk0rY

I use this feature on my S970 quite often and have found that even without knowing the exact tune, simple taps on any key whilst following the rhythm will produce very similar results.

Ronnie
Tyros 5

The following users thanked this post: valbess

Offline Aulis

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:35:29 AM »
Holy Macaroni  - I have try to learn how to use all options, bells and whistles in my s770 for a year or so now, but never thought of this feature before!
I did not even know I had this feature in my 770. Just a minute ago I immediately found a suitable style I haven't thought of before to a melody I been struggling with.

It's like in a video game, you find a hidden door and you enter a new area to explore!

Best regards
>>Aulis
Yamaha PSR-S770, MOXF6, NordElectro 4D,
The Attachments + Sven & The Sqinheads blues/rockband
... I also like riding my LS650 Savage ...

Offline Marcus

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »
Hi Ronnie and Aulis

I am only familiar with the Tyros series, but glad to hear that the Style Recommender is also on the s-770/970 arrangers. Probably on other Yamaha models as well. Just check your manuals.

Marcus

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »
I own a Tyros 4, Marcus, and don't have this feature.  I believe the only keyboard in the Tyros series having this feature is the Tyros 5.  I doubt Yamaha will ever provide an update, to utilize this feature, for the Tyros 1 through the Tyros 4 keyboards.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
Hi Roger,

You should know by now that Yamaha never produce firmware updates for legacy keyboards unless some major problem comes to light!

I'm surprised that there have been so few posts in the forum about 'Style Recommender', since it seems to be a genuinely useful function.

Regards

Ian

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »
Yes, Ian, I'm well aware of this fact.  I was only trying to be tactful, via my comment, and not slam Yamaha the way some of our members do.  This is Yamaha's prerogative and I've always been very supportive of their corporate decisions.

As a businessman and former software developer, there are always good reasons to provide new features in your next product.  Those reasons will always be second guessed by others.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
Hi Ronnie and Aulis

I am only familiar with the Tyros series, but glad to hear that the Style Recommender is also on the s-770/970 arrangers. Probably on other Yamaha models as well. Just check your manuals.

Marcus

In PSR S750 and S950 too...

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline vinylrecord

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 10:14:24 PM »
Is there any way to run the Style Recommender on custom or user styles? There are so many styles to download, in different collections, that its hard to remember what goes with what!

How do the experts on this forum do this? :)

Offline Hitham.adli123

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 05:07:51 AM »
Is there any way to run the Style Recommender on custom or user styles? There are so many styles to download, in different collections, that its hard to remember what goes with what!

How do the experts on this forum do this? :)

I have the same question! Is there a work around for this? I tried this option on my 750, and it seems that it works only with the company's styles that comes with the instrument.

Offline valbess

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 06:03:29 AM »
It's like being given a new toy - why did I never question this  button before??
Also like the last few comments, would love it to work with downloaded styles but somehow doubt that possible.  Is there a genius out there??   Val
Tyros 4 with Stagpas 300

Offline Marcus

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »
It's like being given a new toy - why did I never question this  button before??
Also like the last few comments, would love it to work with downloaded styles but somehow doubt that possible.  Is there a genius out there??   Val

The "RECOMMEND" button and the Style Recommender feature only appears to be available with the library of the Tyros 5 Preset styles. At least it can give you a clue to what similar download styles might be similar to a particular preset style the Recommender selects.

It appears that this feature is not on the Genos, but as one gets accustom to how styles sound through just playing through them the easier it gets trying to select a suitable style.

There are also Music Finder downloads available with thousands of common songs titles that find the suitable style and tempo for you. Here is an old link anyone can check out if they want to check out downloadable Music Finder lists. There also must be some updated versions as well.

http://www.yamaha-club.net/2008/10/23/music-finder-uk-non-cryptic-downloads/

Marcus 

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 04:03:07 AM »

Hi

Do not know if you are calling me...  ;D

The word "Recommender"
- does not appear at all in Genos documentation...  :(
- does appear in the Owner Manuals in newer Tyros and PSR s-models  :-\
- does NOT appear in Reference Manual or Data List  in newer Tyros and PSR s-models  :(

We are out of luck. The genius is at Yamaha... And he does not tell the secret...  >:(

Jørgen

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline jgriffin

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 05:03:16 AM »
Can't wait to try this and to upgrade my Song Lists on both.  This will be really interesting to see what their types of recommendations are.  I usually go off the deep end with mine!
Janet
PSR Performer page
GENOS, Yamaha Baby Grand, (2) Motif ES8, Tyos 2, (2) Tyros 3, Tyros 5-76, DGX-650 & 660, Yamaha P140, StagePas 300 & 600, (2) Bose Compact, Yamaha

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 05:28:31 AM »
The Style Recommender has never ever worked for me when trying to find the pieces I needed for a custom made song style.

After reading this topic yesterday (in two different threads) and reading that folks thinking it was a great tool, I tried it once again for working up my next song specific style for "Blanket on the Ground". After running it four times and noting the Styles that were recommended, many of which were totally not appropriate, I tried a few who's style Name sounded like they might have a part in them that I could use.

None of the styles or their parts did I use. I used both tapping out the drum beat I needed at the correct "speed" of the original artist recording and then used the piano part to try and find the odd "single note" bass beat needed for the first verse of the song.

I think it could be a great tool if it would hunt down specific Channels, ie BASS, DRUM, PHR CHD, and PAD, but for what it does now, for my needs it is useless. :(

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:34:11 AM by DrakeM »