Author Topic: Big help needed for old newbie..please  (Read 1428 times)

Offline yamamans

Big help needed for old newbie..please
« on: January 31, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »
Hi to everyone,this is my very first post on the forum and it's a cry for help..
I've been playing Yamaha organs for a number of years on and off.. From an old B805..And a couple of Electone HS'S
I've now retired and bought myself a new Yamaha PSR EW 400....,but I'm having great difficulty in setting it up,my main problem is playing the left hand Chord (splitting of the keyboard..As on a dual keyboard as on an organ you play chords with the left and melody with the right hand.... I've got myself in a bit of a pickle...Can any one please give me a step by step of how to achieve this.... I'm getting very annoyed with myself,and I honestly didn't realise just how much technology has moved on.
Thanks for reading,and I would be really greatful of your help and assistance

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Big help needed for old newbie..please
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »
There are two types of split-- (1) splitting the keyboard between two different voices, the Split Voice (left hand) and Main Voice (right hand); or (2) splitting the keyboard between the Auto Accompaniment (left hand) and the Main Voice (right hand).

The keyboard has a separate Split Point for each type of split, but on the PSR-E/YPT and DGX/YPG models they can't be set separately using the panel controls (you need to hack a Register to do that, which is beyond the scope of this post). In any case, hold down the ACMP ON/OFF button to set the Split Point.

To accomplish the first type of split, press the SPLIT button to turn on the Split Voice, then hold down the SPLIT button to select the voice you want to use for the Split Voice.

To accomplish the second type of split, press the ACMP ON/OFF button to turn on the Auto Accompaniment, then any keys you play to the left of the Split Point will trigger a chord. If you press one key then a major chord will be played; if you press two or more keys at the same time then other types of chords can be played.

There are two things to be aware of-- (1) if you're playing single keys to get major chords, you may accidentally get other chords if subsequent notes overlap each other, or are played "legato," so you might need to make a conscious effort to lift your finger off of a key before pressing the next key; and (2) when playing chords this way, I don't think you can choose the voice used, because it's set within the Style. I might be mistaken, but I believe that the only way to choose a specific voice for the chords would be to create a Style file which selects the desired voice(s) for the Chord 1 and Chord 2 Style channels.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline yamamans

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:36:48 AM »
Many thanks for your very prompt reply,I will certainly carry out the options that you offer,its great to know that this forum exists,no longer do I feel isolated..Lol...And the Mrs moaning that I've wasted "all that money"...I will keep you posted n my progress....Many thanks once again ;D

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:32:29 AM »
I hope you enjoy your new PSR-EW400; I've been planning to get one myself! I already have some of the earlier models, as you can see in my sig line. I'll look into the issue of playing chords with a specific voice, as set in the style, and get back to you. Meanwhile, feel free to read and post in the "PSR-E Series" subforum. :)
Michael Rideout

Offline yamamans

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »
Many thanks SeaGt Gruff, apologies for my initial post being in the wrong place on the forum.
I will be putting your suggestions into place ASAP....Gotta say I've started reading a lot of the posts already placed...Wow! What a wealth of Information....Can't believe I stumbled on the forum by pure accident.

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »
Many thanks SeaGt Gruff, apologies for my initial post being in the wrong place on the forum.

Don't worry about that. With your permission, I can move this thread to the "PSR-E Series" subforum, if you wish?

I will be putting your suggestions into place ASAP....Gotta say I've started reading a lot of the posts already placed...Wow! What a wealth of Information....Can't believe I stumbled on the forum by pure accident.

Maybe you should compose a song about "Serendipity"? :D
Michael Rideout