Author Topic: Suggestion For Implementing A new Category On This Forum  (Read 1570 times)

Offline YammyFan

Suggestion For Implementing A new Category On This Forum
« on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:45 PM »
I think it would be great if there was a  spot on the forum where members could indicate if they would like let other members
 know that they are  geographically close, and would welcome contact with other members with similar Yamaha keyboards.
I guess that many of our members would not put their names on such a list,others might.
When I purchased my PSR 970 in Geelong Victoria Australia I asked if I could leave my  email address with the staff at that shop
and hand  it out to anyone else buying a Yamaha Arranger Keyboard. I thought that someone living in my district might need help
or maybe, they could help me .Even if I was to tell them about this wonderful forum, that would be a huge plus for a newbie
So far I have had no requests.  and yet I bet there have been quite a few keyboards sold by that Music shop since I purchased mine
about a year ago.

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Suggestion For Implementing A new Category On This Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »
Hi YammyFan,

You may just want to look at some of the active member's profiles to determine if they reside in your country.  In your case, Australia.  Then contact them via email or via the private message system to see if they are interested in such communication.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »
....and some members, like myself have their National Flag attached to their profile picture or under their name.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
I think Roger has offered the best solution.  Many folks here have communicated with me through Personal Messages on specific issues of interest to them or myself.

We already have a couple of major threads going with people who are just chewing the fat.

:D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe W

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:02:09 AM »
Helping members find other members who live in the same geographic area is certainly worthwhile.  I'll have to think about how we might implement that.  In the meantime, Australian members often have an email address that ends in ".au".  If you look at the options at the top (Home Help Search ... Members Like stats Logout), try the Members option.  It allows you to search on some parameters, one of which is email.  Search there by putting "*.au" to find all emails that end in .au.  That gives you a list of members with Australian email addresses.  Another option would be to use the Search option in the upper right-hand corner of the forum page.  Put "Australia" in that box and you will find messages in which the word "Australia" appears.  This could be another way to find users in your area.
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline alanclare

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:31:45 PM »
Joe

Apropos of nothing at all, may I ask what is the significance of the first column (headed Status) containing empty check boxes in the list of members that results from a search?

Alan
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:33:33 PM by alanclare »

Offline Bertie59

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »
Hi Alan
The status box to which you are referring turns green when the member is online.

Regards
Sue  :)

Offline alanclare

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 01:20:17 AM »
Sue

Wow! Thanks.

Alan

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:58:38 AM »
In addition to what Sue has iterated, Alan, if you click on a member's Status button (box) you will be able to send the member a Private Message.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline alanclare

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
Roger

There's no end to the wonders of this forum!

Alan

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
ZEEMAPS.com   ............ has a basic FREE mapping service we might use to create such a world wide members map.

https://www.zeemaps.com/

It appears that only ONE person can be in charge of entering in map locations.

Here is an example of how these members used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBqQQ1ubyA

BTW ... I thought years ago, back in 2004 this forum had such a membership map. Am I remember correctly?

Regards
Drake

Offline Joe W

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
It looks like I can provide a mapping capability for forum members. Perhaps three maps -- one for US/Canada/Mexico, one for UK & Europe, one for Rest of World.  Pin on map would show general location, as determined by the user when the pin is placed on the map.  It should also show the forumID - this is for forum members, not general public.  What other info would be useful?
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »
I think if the 'Location" field is displayed as part of the profile like right below the name and includes City/Country, that will tell you right away and at a glance if a member is located near you .. . . . .

Have a great day.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 07:10:50 AM »
Hi Joe,

In order to know when best to contact other members, it would be nice if the mapping service could provide the local time as well as the members localisation.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650