Author Topic: Copyright on information I have posted here?  (Read 340 times)

Offline SciNote

Copyright on information I have posted here?
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:54:31 AM »
I'm kicking around the idea of writing a sort of "book of ideas" for the PSR-E4 series.  It would contain various sounds and patches that I have come up with, as well as the information I posted here in 2014 about using these keyboards like an analog synthesizer.  But I am wondering, is the information I posted here now subject to copyright for this forum?  In other words, did I give up the copyright for the information I posted when I posted it here, and transfer the copyright to the owners of this forum?  Or do I still retain the copyright as the original author?  If I gave up the copyright, then so be it.  I just want to make sure I do not violate anyone's copyright if I do pursue this book idea.

Thanks for any input!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:56:01 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline vbdx66

Re: Copyright on information I have posted here?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:08:11 AM »
Hi Bob,

IMHO when you decided to share information with us here in this forum, as the author of the information, of course you retain the full rights on the content you provided.

On the other hand, I think that the other members of this forum may not use the information you shared here with us without asking for your permission and without stating that you provided the information in the first place.

That said, you should maybe ask the question to a lawyer, because I am not sure that patches and tricks to use the E4xx as analogue synths are subject to copyright at all... simply because it is hard to prove the paternity of an idea (this is what patents are made for).

To summarise, I think that if you wrote such a book, you and your publisher will detain the full copyright on the text itself, but you might not be able to detain the copyright on the ideas themselves.

Are you also going to write something on the new DSPs of the PSR E453? I am planning to buy one and it would be interesting to know for instance how to best use the Leslie effect or how to mimick a guitar amp (if this is feasible at all).

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:36:51 AM »
 I did get some working knowledge of copyright and patent law during my working life, and I am fairly sure that a person would not give away copyright for the USA and most Western Countries simply by publishing the material. They would have to agree to give this away, for example to a publisher, or an employer where their employment contract covered this. But Intellectual Property law is a complicated area, and I am far from an expert, so you should talk with one if this a serious issue for you.
Mike

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »
Thanks for the information.  The only reason it would be an issue for me is that I would not want to violate the copyright rights of this forum if I were to write and attempt to publish such a book -- and whether I do that is far from certain.  So, I figure that a moderator or the site owner (Joe W, I believe) would be able to tell me if the information that I posted here would now be subject to the copyright rights of this forum and its owners.

As for the Leslie simulation on the E453, I checked it out, and unfortunately, I am not impressed with it.  Now, don't get me wrong -- some of the other DSP effects on the E453, like the phaser and distortion, sound great.  But with the Leslie simulator, it's like they got the right idea for the sound, but in my opinion, it just doesn't go "deep" enough.  I think a more convincing Leslie effect might be possible with some of that keyboard's other DSP effects, like tremolo or something similar.

Additionally, with any of those above effects, the speed has to be changed manually with a knob that controls the speed.  This would make it difficult to really simulate the Leslie speed-up/slow-down effects when playing the organ sounds, because your left hand would have to be actually changing the speed of the effect on the knob and would not be available to play bass/chord accompaniment while adjusting the speed.  It could work if you're using a full auto-accompaniment style and don't need to change chords while you're doing the effect.  But, it is not like a real organ/Leslie combo, where the player can just quickly hit a button to change the Leslie speed, and then quickly continue playing.  This would be a nice addition to the E463!
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline Joe W

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
As Mike indicated, Bob, since you are the author, you retain the copyright to your own material.  Even on the main site, whenever anything there was authored by someone other than me, it has the author's name right at the beginning of the material.  I've always thought authors or originators should get the credit for their work.

That said, the PSR-E does differ quite a bit from the PSR and PSR-S keyboards.  The "lessons" we have do not provide owners of the E-series with much help.  I don't have an E-series keyboard so I won't be offering any material for these keyboards.  However, if in your work, you wanted to produce some "lessons" for the E-series, we could figure out where to put them on the main site.  Putting out some articles would get you started and provide some feedback.  I would have to create the web pages, but you would have to supply the text and any images or files you wanted to go with your presentation.  You may be able to cover some new features that the PSR-E has in common with the PSR-S970. (I'm afraid the S970 is also out of my experience!)
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »
Hi Bob --

A suggestion -- Creative Commons licensing. Might not be a good approach if you want to monetize, but it might be a way to maintain some control.

-- pj