Author Topic: Box .Com Download questions  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Key 1

Box .Com Download questions
« on: December 25, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »
Hi All,

I am wanting to download some of the excellent MP3's posted by members in the  "Songs Performed By Members"  but i'am finding that only some of the songs will download.   This is irrespective of file size.

Also do I need to become a member of Box.com to enable me to download songs.

Regards,

Alan

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Box .Com Download questions
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 10:23:07 PM »
Hi Alan,

I have a Box.com account and rarely use it because of all the problems I've experienced with the program.  One such issue is what you have already discovered, not being able to download MP3 files from some members uploads.  The file size would not prevent you from downloading the files and you don't need a Box.com account to download from Box.com.

It's hit and miss who you will be able to download files from.  I'm able to retrieve several member's files, yet there are also several members that I can't download from.  I've reported trouble tickets to Box.com before and have never had a single response from them.

I use Microsoft OneDrive for all of my uploads now and it works flawlessly.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Key 1

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 11:11:24 PM »
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the quick reply.   Not having scrolled through the members tunes pages before, I was wondering what was happening & thanks to you I now know.

I opened up Microsoft One Drive folder & it is empty at present.   I'm also not familiar with the use of M O D .  I'd appreciate some help here please.

I was looking through the Songs / Midi / MP3 page on the PSR homepage & all of the tunes available there in different formats.

When I go to open a song, a box comes up to tell me to allow a "Windows Media Player" attachment to download.    I have the W M P installed already & am wondering if I can download the songs from here.

If not, can the songs be saved somewhere else & then downloaded.

Thanks again Roger.   I'm a little bit cautious about doing things that I don't know a lot about.

Regards,

Alan   

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:33:11 PM »
Hi Alan,

Regardless of file format I always download all files to my Windows 10 Download folder.  I can then decide where to store the files.  Depending upon what I've downloaded I store the files in various places on my hard drive.  I've written many batch files to enhance the file distribution process, which places the file or files on two hard drives and a flash drive in the appropriate folder.  In other words, the files are stored on my primary hard drive and backed up on another hard drive and a flash drive.

If you haven't already done so, don't forget to associate a file type (extension) or protocol with a specific program.  By doing so, your file will always run in the desired program.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
Hi,

Iam not to sure but I think you can choose to Allow or not Allow the download of the music you put on Box ( after all its your music )
and mybe thats why you can download some and not others.

Brian007

Offline Afton72

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 01:29:31 AM »
Hi All,
                I'm another of these spasmodic downloaders, some I can, others I can't, usualy I can always from the links, if needed. But that's not the point.
   Maybe they disallow by accident, why would you put it in Post if not to let people hear, Oh well.

Roger, does One-Drive do all Box used to do?,  like share with others,  send a link to someone to share a folder.   I've been finding E'Box cranky to handle.

Cheers,         Aussie Alan
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 01:33:01 AM by Afton72 »

Offline Key 1

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 03:05:22 AM »
Hi Roger,

Like you, I always download my files to the Windows 7 Download Folder.    I then save those files manually in various folders that I have set up in my primary hard drive.
From time to time, I back up my primary H/D to 2 external H/D's.

Could you please explain what you mean by batch files & how to create them.

Could you also please expand on file type & protocol.     Are you talking about :- exe / mid / pdf .

BTW.  I had a play with some of the MP3 files on the PSR homepage & with the WMPlayer have been able to download them to my Windows download folder successfully.

Regards

Alan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 03:33:07 AM »
Some members on Box probably choose not to have there songs downloaded but just listened to. I always ask if I can download anyway as it is just common cutesy to do so. I know of some people that have had there songs passed of on other forums as someone else's and of course this is not nice so they have blocked the download.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 04:54:42 AM »
The issue with BOX is that THEY have cut certain FREE user accounts off. My account is one of them because my account consistently would go over the 10 gig download limit every month. You currently can play any of my song files but you can't download the files anymore. The reason is that BOX refuses to RESET my Monthly DOWNLOAD LIMITS. My account info says:

Bandwidth used: 13.5 GB of 10.0GB

Some members have figured out a way to download the files but I don't recall if they have explained how they do it. I think they can download songs using a cell phone and a special app.

I have moved all my songbook files to a ONEDRIVE account some 200 plus large files in order for folks to download those files. I have just left my 222 song files there.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 05:21:50 AM by DrakeM »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 05:23:22 AM »
I just sat down to see if I could figure out how folks are downloading my tunes and this is how they do it.

You can click below on the link in my Signature which reads:

The Lone Arranger Ė MP3 Library

At the top of the page in the upper Left is a DOWNLOAD button. If you click on that you can download ALL my song files at once (620MB). Box wonít let anyone download just one of my songs but they will let you download all of them in order to get just ONE. GO FIGURE that one out. Is that dumb or what?  Ö LOL

Regards
Drake

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 07:54:52 AM »
Brian is correct.  I have my BOX account files set so only certain files can be downloaded.  The MP3s cannot be downloaded... only listened to.  I did this because the downloads used up my bandwidth in a hurry.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DonM

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »
I have had zero problems with Box. I rarely download anything though, just upload and share a lot of songs.   When I do download though, it has never failed to work.
DonM

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 11:07:42 AM »
Hi Don,

We've discussed this before, but at one time I could download your files and then it just stopped working and was around the time that Box said I had used all my bandwidth, which wasn't true.  I'm fairly certain they were trying to discourage the use of free accounts.

I can't download the MP3 files of many members and have contacted them asking if they have downloads restricted.  The answer has always been no.  Like Drake, I finally abandoned Box and now have a Microsoft OneDrive account and no longer have issues.

I cancelled my original Box.com account and opened another Box account, using another email address, but only use it for very small files.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »
Hi Alan (Afton72),

Yes, Microsoft OneDrive will do all that Box does.  I don't know what operating system you use, but please remember that if you're running Windows 10, OneDrive is already installed on your computer.

Here's a link the the download page:

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/download/
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »
Hi Alan (Key 1),

Batch file programming goes back to the old DOS days, but is still in use today.  It's a text based language.  I'll email you some sample files I've created to illustrate their use.  You would need to alter the paths to make them usable on your own computer.

You can also do a Google Search for batch files and will find a lot of instructions on the internet to help you learn the process of batch file programming.

Yes, when I reference files of type I'm referring to *.exe, *.mp3, *.wav, *.pdf, *.txt, etc.

I hope I've answered your questions.  I've made a note about emailing the sample files to you, but it may be a short while before I have a chance to do so.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger