Author Topic: File Compression  (Read 1086 times)

Offline adrianed

File Compression
« on: December 25, 2016, 05:54:38 PM »
Hi Folks,

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I want to send some files to a member of this website which need compression for sending in my email

I want to use winzip because this seems to be easiest one for me because this is the one I mostly use to unzip files sent me when I purchase things on this site and various other places

I was hoping to get a free version of winzip if this available so I could simply zip them to desktop and then drag them into my Gmail account

It it is not available free then I shall purchase it.

I have assumed its WinZip because I use the unzip method that is offered in my windows 10 computer which simply says unzip, but windows does not offer a method how to zip a file,   

Can anyone point me to the right place to get this Ziper or help

Best regards,

Adrian
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:02:36 PM by adrianed »

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: File Compression
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 08:18:57 PM »
Hi Adrian,

I use Windows 7, and in this you can create a 'Zip' archive of a folder and it's contents using a function built into Windows.  I don't (and deliberately refuse to) use Windows 10, so I can't confirm that the following applies, but it is worth checking. 

In Windows 7 for example if you highlight  file/s or folder/s in Windows Explorer, then right click and select 'Send to', one of the options should be 'Compressed (zipped) folder'.   Selecting this should create a 'zipped' folder containing your files/folders in the same folder as your selections.    It will be given the same name as the final selection in your list, but it will be immediately shown in a form where you can rename it if you wish. 

The format of the archive will be exactly the same as a 'Zip' produced by any other free, or paid for program.

I don't know if this functionality is available in Microsoft's latest 'scam' OS (W10), but if you don't have this function on your version of Windows, then there are plenty of free alternatives.

I usually use this built in Windows function to create and unzip 'Zip' archives, but I also have a free copy of '7-Zip' installed on my Win7 PC, which as well as 'Zip', can open other archive formats such as '.rar' too.    Here is a link to it's download site, but you should find plenty of others too...

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Regards

Ian   
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 08:31:07 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 08:30:06 PM »
It works the same way in Windows 8, 8.1, and 10. :)

However, Windows' built-in compression feature doesn't handle certain types of compressed files, and for those you can get a free copy of 7zip, WinRAR, or a similar utility.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline adrianed

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 01:58:18 PM »
Thanks Ian for your reply to this query about Zipping,

I missed it earlier.

Window 10 does have it

Thankyou

Adrian

Offline Del B

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 02:06:07 PM »
Adrian
I use this one

http://www.izarc.org/

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 02:15:38 PM »
Hi Adrian,

I have a lot of Zip programs on my computers, including the ones listed above, but I predominately use ZipItFree.

Here's a link to their download page:

http://www.zipitfree.com/

I hope this finds you well, my good friend.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page